Seriously, how long have we waited for a decent selection of apps now? It's been about a year and a half and iPhone is running circles around the BB. We've been promised these apps for so long now. Now I'm getting the feeling that I won't see these apps during the Bold's lifetime. It may not be RIM's fault that these apps are not available, but I'm starting to think that BB users are second-class citizens in the eyes of app developers. Even the Google Maps on the BB sucks compared to the iPhone's. Seriously, where is Skyfire, Skype and Kindle?
    02-06-10 11:07 PM
    skyfire is overdue. don't know about the other two.
    02-06-10 11:39 PM
    Where have you been? This topic has been done to death, and if you would have searched, you would have found out that SkyFire has been postponed indefinitely. And I don't recall when or where RIM promised you these apps. Please post the link to their press release that makes said promise, and I'll stand on that soap box with you.

I don't know what problems you have with Google Maps, mine works flawlessly.

I just read 3 stories about Kindle and BlackBerry, and all 3 state that "there has been no official announcement yet". So please post the link where RIM states their promise to deliver this app.

I have a history of rude remarks and post bashing, so I'm really trying to be nice here. But you're making it a little tough. There are reasons why apps take longer to reach your Bold than they do to reach to reach iPhones. From what I understand RIM allows less access to the software for developers, and this is for security reasons. Maybe if they gave the developers more access, you would be reading threads with users asking for help to remove viruses and spyware.

I don't know what the holdup with Skype is, but after reading a few threads about it, it seems to me that it's a VOIP service for mobile phones? And from what I read, it costs around $27/month. Why would you want to pay extra money to make phone calls with Skype on a phone? Why not just use the phone that's already in your hand? So you are complaining that RIM sold you a device that doesn't do what you want it to? Your Bold doesn't make phone calls?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-10 06:50 AM
    If its not released, its probably for a good reason. Would you rather use a faulty product full of bugs just so they can satisfy you by releasing it or would you wait for a product that actually works?

02-07-10 06:51 AM
    For skype, use im+ skype 4.0 for blackberry. Let me know what u think?

02-07-10 09:14 AM
    Does IM+ Skype still offer VOIP? I heard it was only available during their last beta trial and won't be available again for a while. Are you able to utilize VOIP on it? Thanks for the heads up.
    02-07-10 09:24 AM
    I just went to the shapeservices and the IM+ Skype app list free voip as one of the features. Let us know how it works as there is a 7 day trial.
    Software for BlackBerry: MSN/Live Messenger, Yahoo!, AIM, iChat, ICQ, Jabber, Skype, MySpaceIM, Google Talk, Facebook and Twitter

02-07-10 09:33 AM
    For skype, use im+ skype 4.0 for blackberry. Let me know what u think?
    I just went to the shapeservices and the IM+ Skype app list free voip as one of the features. Let us know how it works as there is a 7 day trial.
    Thanks guys for your help and actually they did offer VOIP in the 4.0 release. Not bad for $30 but, it operates in a CB radio kind of manner where both callers press a button to talk and release to listen. It currently doesn't allow two way talking yet. Hey, it's better than nothing, right?
    02-07-10 10:00 AM
    Just test it out man. It has 7 days free trial. What u got to lose?

Let us know how is the voip quality? Test it on skype (blackberry) to skype (pc, blackberry, pocket pc, iphone etc.) call. Test in on skype to landline call. Test it on skype to cell call. And report back and let us know the result.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-07-10 at 10:19 AM.
    02-07-10 10:11 AM
    Come on guys settle down! Don't make me bring out my mod stick or have to borrow Branta's ban hammer! Just play nice!
    02-07-10 12:09 PM
    I'm a little confused why you would pay $30 to talk via VOIP on a cell phone? Why not just use your phone? If it's an issue of minute usage, wouldn't be cheaper to upgrade to an unlimited plan? And the call quality will certainly be better using your Bold.

I guess I just don't understand. I live in a rural area, and sometimes browsing the web can be slow. But I've never felt the need to make a phone call through the internet for quality reasons.

02-07-10 12:40 PM
    And I don't recall when or where RIM promised you these apps. Please post the link to their press release that makes said promise,
    You are such a typical fanboy tool. Did apple promise apps in thier press release? NO. Does RIM tout an "app world"? YES. So why not have mainstream apps? Listen to yourself. Pathetic. Settle for mediocrity if that's you.

I just read 3 stories about Kindle and BlackBerry, and all 3 state that "there has been no official announcement yet".
    So obviously you had an intrest as well. Hmmmm. I thought RIM knows best and if you needed it, it would have been there .

There are reasons why apps take longer to reach your Bold than they do to reach to reach iPhones. From what I understand RIM allows less access to the software for developers, and this is for security reasons. Maybe if they gave the developers more access, you would be reading threads with users asking for help to remove viruses and spyware.
    So, kindle and skype are more of a threat than FB? LOL. Stop using that excuse. And who needs such dibilitating security? You? Afraid someones gonna hack ur CB account? You crack me up. If an app poses a vulnerability, then discretion should be used when installing it. If you have nuke codes on your bb then maybe you should'nt be tweeting on the same device no? Elementary. And what viruses and spyware does apple have? I'll be awaiting that answer. I bet you'll try to retort with an instance of a jailbroken phone with some 80's pop star lol.

I don't know what the holdup with Skype is, but after reading a few threads about it, it seems to me that it's a VOIP service for mobile phones? Why not just use the phone that's already in your hand? So you are complaining that RIM sold you a device that doesn't do what you want it to? Your Bold doesn't make phone calls?
    How about when u are across the world in Iraq or Afgahnastan? VOIP allows you to use VOICE OVER INTERNET. If you have internet but no cell service, you can still talk like a regular phone. Many places present the situation to where this would be a great app. Of course, for small minded suburbanites like yourself, you'll never even be roaming.

I can't belive that I am even responding to something I could really care less about (I bought an iPod Touch to cover the apps). But you sir are a sorry attempt at a fanboy.

Ha! First post!
    02-11-10 04:32 AM
    Mediocrity? How am I settling for mediocrity when my device does everything I want it to? Maybe you thing BB is a so-so product with middle of the road apps, and you have every right to hold that opinion. The difference between us is that I was smart enough to do my research BEFORE making a purchase. I'm no fanboy, but I am sick of die-hard iphone users who buy BBs and then come on these forums crying because they're not happy.

I have NO interest in Kindle. I quickly read the 3 articles because I wasn't familiar with their service, and I didn't want to respond ignorantly. So obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

I don't know anything about any viruses on Apple products. I wasn't making a comparison, just relaying what so many other have stated to me. I do appreciate that I don't have to research every app I install for hours to see if its security compromised, because I know my BB won't allow that. And if the security is so "debilitating", then why are you even a BB owner? It's obvious that you are bitter for switching from your whatever over to a BB, but growing some balls and doing something about it is the only thing that seems elementary to me.

Okay, admittedly I didn't consider the benefits of being able to make phone calls in parts of the world that have no towers. But calling me names is ignorant and offensive. You don't know the first thing about me, but since you referenced Iraq and Afghanistan I'm going to wager a guess that you serve in the military. If that is the case I thank you for your service and all the sacrifices you make for our freedom. But that also makes your ignorance so much more offensive, because I spent 10 years in the Marine Corps, and did 4 combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Maybe now I am a suburbanite, but that's only because an IED blasted me to **** and confined me to a wheelchair. So please, keep slinging your insults. The bottom line in this whole situation is that you are bitter for buying a BB and want to cry like a little baby to assuage your buyers remorse. Why don't you take a little responsibility for your own happiness and go buy whatever product will satisfy you the best? If BlackBerry isn't right for you, which it so obviously isn't, then grow a sack and go buy whatever you think is best, and leave the rest of us to enjoy what we think is best.

02-11-10 05:24 AM
    I'm neither a RIM fanboy nor a RIM basher, but the main reason I use a BB is because it is the best device for messaging. At everything else, I would agree with the OP, it is far, far behind the competition.

Case in point: there is an article in today's NY Times about using Skype on your smartphone via wifi to bypass shoddy carrier cell service, either for free (to other Skype users) or for a minimal fee (to non-Skype users). The app is of course available for the iPhone and Android. The article pointedly mentions that nothing is available for BlackBerrys.

RIM is supposedly desirous of expanding its userbase well beyond the core BES users (like me) to consumers. It is not doing a very good job.

02-11-10 05:33 AM
    Do you think it's possible that RIM could be blocking access because they are developing their own app, sort of like why they blocked skyfire?

02-11-10 06:00 AM
    Ha! First post!
    And a very nice first post it is.
    02-12-10 02:33 AM
    I'm a little confused why you would pay $30 to talk via VOIP on a cell phone? Why not just use your phone? If it's an issue of minute usage, wouldn't be cheaper to upgrade to an unlimited plan? And the call quality will certainly be better using your Bold.

I guess I just don't understand. I live in a rural area, and sometimes browsing the web can be slow. But I've never felt the need to make a phone call through the internet for quality reasons.

What i was thinking lol. Id never pay that for VOIP app. Nothing would convince me otherwise.

You are such a typical fanboy tool. Did apple promise apps in thier press release? NO. Does RIM tout an "app world"? YES. So why not have mainstream apps? Listen to yourself. Pathetic. Settle for mediocrity if that's you.

So obviously you had an intrest as well. Hmmmm. I thought RIM knows best and if you needed it, it would have been there .

So, kindle and skype are more of a threat than FB? LOL. Stop using that excuse. And who needs such dibilitating security? You? Afraid someones gonna hack ur CB account? You crack me up. If an app poses a vulnerability, then discretion should be used when installing it. If you have nuke codes on your bb then maybe you should'nt be tweeting on the same device no? Elementary. And what viruses and spyware does apple have? I'll be awaiting that answer. I bet you'll try to retort with an instance of a jailbroken phone with some 80's pop star lol.

How about when u are across the world in Iraq or Afgahnastan? VOIP allows you to use VOICE OVER INTERNET. If you have internet but no cell service, you can still talk like a regular phone. Many places present the situation to where this would be a great app. Of course, for small minded suburbanites like yourself, you'll never even be roaming.

I can't belive that I am even responding to something I could really care less about (I bought an iPod Touch to cover the apps). But you sir are a sorry attempt at a fanboy.

Ha! First post!
    And a very nice first post it is.
    Agreed. very good first post. Usually just a Hi im....

I just spent 10mins reading 2 guys arguing about VOIP lol. Seriously ? Is it me or am i missing something...
    02-12-10 04:55 AM
    What i was thinking lol. Id never pay that for VOIP app. Nothing would convince me otherwise.

Agreed. very good first post. Usually just a Hi im....

I just spent 10mins reading 2 guys arguing about VOIP lol. Seriously ? Is it me or am i missing something...
    VOIP is good for two main reasons here. The first is it reduces your international phone bills to zero if you use it with other Skype users. This is suitable for people who do a lot of business internationally and also for folks in a long distance relationship. I use about $300 in international calls a month and to pay $30 for a one time purchase for Skype would be an awesome deal. The second reason VOIP benefits BB users would be when you have a kickass internet connection but shady cell phone coverage in your area.

If you guys haven't tried Skype out yet I highly recommend it. When you use a Skype compatible handset, the call quality is out of this world between Skype users. It's amazing how crystal clear the call is. However, a good wifi connection is a must.

02-12-10 01:22 PM
    What's not to like? Free Skype-to-Skype on a mobile phone. 'nuff said.
    02-19-10 11:37 AM
    Skyfire is vaporware, I wouldn't bother worrying about it.

Even if they did release it, it's not going to do much for them since they will get killed by webkit + all platforms pretty much getting Flash 10.1 anyways (or html5 later on).
    02-19-10 01:32 PM
    Kindle just got release to bb yesterday.

02-19-10 01:40 PM
    forget skyfire..I rather have the webkit.
    Skype is out next month for Verizon, but not sure if that helps or if the app can be used for other carriers.
    02-20-10 02:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD