How about a app that updates your position by gps or triangulation then downloads the nearest police or fire department numbers, ambulance. This can run in background or on demand. Have an emergency call center screen with a call button for police or fire, ambulance. Might be handy for travelers. Just a thought........
    03-19-09 09:09 AM
    911 is most areas will connect you to the closest dispatch center.
    03-19-09 09:14 AM
    Most (all?) current cell phones are equipped with E911 GPS.
    03-19-09 09:28 AM
    That's what 911 is for. I've never been to a place where it hasn't worked.
    03-19-09 10:39 AM
    depending on where you are, there could be a delay in time to 911 and response. when you call 911 the operator then has to send that call to the correct dispatching center. whether it be police command, Firecom, or the local agencies dispatch. In a emergency these seconds minutes could be priceless.

From Experience, I could be sitting in my HQ listening to the police scanner, here a medical call for my community, get up, shut down what im doing, and have the ambulance on the ramp waiting before we are toned out for the same call.
    03-19-09 11:29 AM
    And still have enough time to hide the evidence?
    03-19-09 11:41 AM
    And still have enough time to hide the evidence?
    gotta be quick on your feet
    03-19-09 12:24 PM
    Sounds interesting for the sake of knowing where nearby hospitals or medical facilities are. Google maps may be quick way to do this already.
    03-19-09 12:27 PM
    Doesn't vz navigator do this as well?
    03-19-09 03:03 PM
    This would be good for like finding a police station to file a report or something but your probably better off calling 911 if you get shot haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 04:57 PM
    depending on where you are, there could be a delay in time to 911 and response. when you call 911 the operator then has to send that call to the correct dispatching center. whether it be police command, Firecom, or the local agencies dispatch. In a emergency these seconds minutes could be priceless.

From Experience, I could be sitting in my HQ listening to the police scanner, here a medical call for my community, get up, shut down what im doing, and have the ambulance on the ramp waiting before we are toned out for the same call.
    You are correct - I am with a Search and Rescue squad and here in Califoria we never recomend calling 911 from a cell phone as it sends the call to the CHP dispach center where there can be a hold time of up to 10 minutes and THEN they transfer you to the correct region and THEN they transfer you to the local resource.

We recomend saving the local police numbers for area where people frenquently travel into your contact list. An app like this would be cool - it would not even need to use GPS - cell trianglation would be fine to determine the local area.

I hope some develper looks into this.
    03-20-09 12:35 AM
    Lol we just need onstar for BB

03-20-09 01:24 AM
    quick whats the # to 911?
    03-20-09 06:00 AM
    Lol we just need onstar for BB

dude that would be sick lol... hello my name is andy with onstar are you ok?..... no i just drop my blackberry i cant breath.......lol
    Last edited by rbaird91; 03-20-09 at 06:02 AM. Reason: ..........
    03-20-09 06:02 AM
    So I checked and Poynt works if you enter police in the search. I am going to make a feature request that they have an optional emergency button that would populate with police, fire and hospitals in a close radius.
    03-20-09 12:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD