I just picked up a used 8820 yesterday (AT&T branded).

I plan to use this phone internationally with an international sim (after I unlock it) and I have ample access to wifi where I travel. I'm hoping someone can point me to an app I can install that will let me setup my gmail and other pop/imap accounts for sending/receiving email through WIFI?
    02-11-09 09:33 AM
    So I found that the gmail app (from google) does NOT allow wifi only email access but it periodically checks for new email -- the new message tone plays and red light blinks for new email. It also supported my google apps account. Anybody know how to make this work with wifi only?

I also found LogicMail, which is pretty good. Allows for multiple imap and pop3 accounts, but from what I can tell you have to periodically check each account. So, unlike the gmail app it can't notify you when you have new email but it DOES support wifi only access.

Both of these apps get my email through the AT&T network using the sim from my iPhone, although the native browser does NOT work unless I put it on wifi only. Something about MediaNet configuration maybe. Anyone know how I can get the browser to work with my iPhone sim (since other data apps work)?
    02-11-09 10:38 AM
    Hello!

Try Tiggit mail, it is a very advanced pop/imap mail client with wifi support, but it's not free...
    Check it here:
    tiggit mail POP3 and IMAP client for BlackBerry
    02-12-09 02:02 AM
    Hello!

Try Tiggit mail, it is a very advanced pop/imap mail client with wifi support, but it's not free...
    Check it here:
    Tiggit looks really good, thanks for the suggestion. I'm waiting for a 7 day trial download link. It looks comparable to the gmail app except it also works on wifi and I can add non-gmail/google apps accounts.

$30 isn't too bad, much cheaper than adding a data plan to my international sim since it gives me proper email notification (vibe/LED) when I have wifi (unlike some of the other third party wifi compatible email apps like LogicMail).
    02-12-09 09:27 AM
    I use Tiggitmail. It works really well. You can select to use wifi only (which I do, no data plan). The only problem I have is that the current 1.1.xx release is very slow on my 8820. It takes a very long time to download my email. The earlier release of 1.0.xx was much faster only a couple of minutes to download all my messages. That being said, the developer provides great support. The current version works very well with viewing html emails. I believe that there is a trial for the software. Give it a whirl! If the speed issue I have can be fixed, this would be a 5 star app! You can also get info from this site, it's the blog for the developer. tiggit.wordpress.com - Tiggit�s Weblog
    02-13-09 06:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD