Anyone know of a good email app that can do imap/pop3 with SSL?
    Currently I'm using logicmail but I want something that can run in the background and notify me, preferably a custom ringtone, when there's a new message. I really want to avoid using BES/BIS as that setup is just messy(atleast BIS), not to mention I have at least 8 email addresses to monitor.

EDIT: One reason I cannot use BIS is because I don't have a data plan right now, seems like the device is unable to register on the network without this.
    Last edited by billy_rud10; 07-25-08 at 04:29 PM.
    07-25-08 02:46 PM
    How is BIS messy???
    Thats the easiest way, plus you can have up to 10 email addresses.
    07-25-08 03:29 PM
    I consider it messy because its horrible at syncing, at least from my limited experience. Being most of these email accounts are business accounts used on multiple computers(few imap, one pop3) I rely on the emails being in sync 100% of the time.
    07-25-08 03:58 PM
    Well from my experience, i am using my berry for multiple email accounts and a few of them are business accounts. syncing is not a problem for me. I get my mail within 10 seconds of it being sent.
    07-25-08 04:28 PM
    I consider it messy because its horrible at syncing, at least from my limited experience. Being most of these email accounts are business accounts used on multiple computers(few imap, one pop3) I rely on the emails being in sync 100% of the time.
    get a BES account and a hosted exchange solution if it's that important. no use failing with a patchwork solution.
    07-25-08 04:32 PM
    Well from my experience, i am using my berry for multiple email accounts and a few of them are business accounts. syncing is not a problem for me. I get my mail within 10 seconds of it being sent.
    Are you syncing over a cable or is BIS syncing it? Are you using pop3 or imap?
    Would be great if I could test it further, but at the moment I don't have the spare cash to get a data plan, and it seems I can't use BIS with pay-per-use.
    07-25-08 04:40 PM
    What exactly are you trying to sync? Calendar, contacts, tasks? if you are and your on BIS you NEED to use the USB cable. But if your on BES it automatically sync's.

Also it is kind of pointless to have a berry WITHOUT a data plan especially if you want all your mail to be sync. Thats just my opinion. Hopefully another more experienced CB member can help you out on this.
    07-25-08 04:44 PM
    what is the point of a BB w/out data? BIS on AT&T for a single device is $30 a month (very cheap). if you can't swing $30 a month for "biz" email accounts, you probably just need to monitor your email from a monitor attached to a PC. no offense, but come on.
    07-25-08 04:51 PM
    What exactly are you trying to sync? Calendar, contacts, tasks? if you are and your on BIS you NEED to use the USB cable. But if your on BES it automatically sync's.
    Syncing email, same thing I've been talking about the entire post.

Also it is kind of pointless to have a berry WITHOUT a data plan especially if you want all your mail to be sync. Thats just my opinion.
    That opinion seems to be what most people think around here...

It's far from pointless to have a blackberry without a data plan, sometimes pay-per-use is actually cheaper then paying for a data plan you wont fully use. Blackberry's also have a wide array of tools/programs that make doing daily things easier than most phones. Then there's wifi which in my opinion makes up for the lack of a data plan.

what is the point of a BB w/out data? BIS on AT&T for a single device is $30 a month (very cheap). if you can't swing $30 a month for "biz" email accounts, you probably just need to monitor your email from a monitor attached to a PC. no offense, but come on.
    Offense taken, believe it or not people in this world do live with tight budgets. Me being one of them while work is very slow right now.
    I'm not asking for all this bull about not having a data plan, etc. I'm asking if anyone knows of an email program that can do this.
    Last edited by billy_rud10; 07-25-08 at 04:57 PM.
    07-25-08 04:53 PM
    "wifi which makes up for the lack of a data plan" That is so untrue.
    You can do so much more if you just suck it up and get the data plan.
    It sounds like ALL your emails are very important to you to have on your phone. If it's that important than getting the Data plan is well worth it. Honestly just having wifi and no data plan on your bery IS pointless.
    07-25-08 04:57 PM
    07-25-08 05:01 PM
    "wifi which makes up for the lack of a data plan" That is so untrue.
    You can do so much more if you just suck it up and get the data plan.
    It sounds like ALL your emails are very important to you to have on your phone. If it's that important than getting the Data plan is well worth it. Honestly just having wifi and no data plan on your bery IS pointless.
    You can't say its pointless to me. I work in the IT field where I'm around wifi almost 24/7, so it DOES make up for the lack of a data plan. There's not a single thing I can't do over the wifi except use BIS.

Not all my emails are important, just a very few which are filtered to be sent to the phone.
    07-25-08 05:02 PM
    I also work as IT at my company. wifi is pointless on a berry unless you go online with it ALL the time.
    Can you download OTA apps through your berry using wifi?
    can you get your email pushed to your berry using wifi?
    And using BIS makes the berry worth having the data plan. other than that get a sidekick.
    Its up to you, if you don't want BIS/BES and your happy with WIFI and you want all your emails to be sync good luck with that. I hope you figure it out.
    Last edited by gs warrior 88; 07-25-08 at 05:20 PM.
    07-25-08 05:14 PM

Offense taken, believe it or not people in this world do live with tight budgets. Me being one of them while work is very slow right now.
    I'm not asking for all this bull about not having a data plan, etc. I'm asking if anyone knows of an email program that can do this.
    And to answer your question. Not that i know of.
    07-25-08 05:22 PM
    wifi is pointless on a berry unless you go online with it ALL the time.
    As is a data plan.

Can you download OTA apps through your berry using wifi?
    can you get your email pushed to your berry using wifi?
    And using BIS makes the berry worth having the data plan. other than that get a sidekick.
    With the very little amount of data I would be pushing to the blackberry(less than 1MB), its cheaper just to not have a data plan.

You have your opinion on it and I have mine.

Let's get back to the actual topic which is asking about a program...
    07-25-08 05:23 PM
    To my knowledge, the only way to receive a notification on a BB, with every new email you get, on 8 email accounts, is to use BIS/BES. You're asking for another way to do what the BB already does. I'm pretty sure programmers aren't concentrating on creating apps to accomplish what the BB can already do.

Sorry.
    07-25-08 05:37 PM
    Thank you chaz
    07-25-08 05:42 PM
    Basically, the short answer to your question is... No. Not that I am aware of. It appears that you are becoming a bit testy, as you are not receiving the exact answer you want. Truth of the matter is that Blackberries were designed with data plans in mind - this is why each and every carrier offers data plans to accompany their RIM devices. Wifi indeed does not "make up" for a lack of data plan. This would be why you are having email issues. BIS/BES is not messy at all, whatsoever. We pretty much all use it. You apparently just don't want to pay for a data plan, and this is your only gripe regarding BIS/BES. Data allows you to do far more than just browse the internet, by the way, FYI.

So here is my recommendation for you: In your last post, you state that the "very little amount of data" you require to be pushed to your device is less than 1MB. Is that per month? Per day? Per year? Per decade? Please be more descriptive. Many carriers offer data plans which are cheaper due to the fact that they are not unlimited. Perhaps this would work out better for you...?
    07-25-08 05:51 PM
    Basically, the short answer to your question is... No. Not that I am aware of. It appears that you are becoming a bit testy, as you are not receiving the exact answer you want.
    If I am coming off as testy, I apologize. The thing is I really never received an answer, just got people saying stuff about blackberry's being useless without a data plan. I understand that a program like this may not be created or isn't possible. I figured I would ask here before attempting to do this myself.

Wifi indeed does not "make up" for a lack of data plan. This would be why you are having email issues. BIS/BES is not messy at all, whatsoever. We pretty much all use it.
    Personally wifi does make up for the lack of an actual data plan. I do have pay-per-use on my plan for the very few occasions it doesn't.

You apparently just don't want to pay for a data plan, and this is your only gripe regarding BIS/BES.
    It's not that I don't want to pay for a plan, its that I really have little use for a plan, and that at this time my budget is really tight. My other complaint with BIS/BES is that I can't find any actual technical documents on if and how it syncs emails(both sent and received). I like to know what I'm using before it totally screws up any automated systems I have linked to my emails.

So here is my recommendation for you: In your last post, you state that the "very little amount of data" you require to be pushed to your device is less than 1MB. Is that per month? Per day? Per year? Per decade? Please be more descriptive. Many carriers offer data plans which are cheaper due to the fact that they are not unlimited. Perhaps this would work out better for you...?
    Its per month, I don't even use enough data to even get charged $5. AT&T only offers unlimited data from what I see on there site.
    07-25-08 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD