Easy Tether is a program that alledgedly lets you tether for less. Its currently available for WM and Android OS. and Blackberry is in the works. I guess this thread is directed at anyone thats used this app on any other OS and have used Tether (TetherBerry). I'd just like to know how does it compare and is the quality just as good or better as far as speed, etc... Thanks.
    04-11-10 01:15 PM
    When you say "tether for less," does that mean the one time app fee is less then Tether, or does it mean there is a monthly charge? Tether is a one-time fee with no monthly charge.
    04-11-10 01:23 PM
    Well it has a version that is free for Android but the blackberry version is supposedly going to be less than tetherberry's one time fee.
    04-11-10 01:25 PM
    Ahh, ok. I got my Tether on sale for $24.99. Killer deal.

Looking forward to hearing what others say about Easy Tether.
    04-11-10 01:31 PM
    Why waste your money on these programs? Just tether for free using the QPST hack.
    04-11-10 01:47 PM
    "Tether" makes it appear to your carrier that you are browsing on your phone. Tethering doesn't and if you get caught, you risk additional monthly fees and or costs.

Tether is a great app. Had it since it came out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wrong. The tethering hack is free and undetectable.
    04-11-10 03:07 PM
    I wasn't replying to the "hack" you mentioned. I was referring to tethering in general. But thank you so much for pointing that out.

Not a single person mentioned tethering in general. Again, these expensive programs are good for noobs but not much else.
    04-11-10 04:10 PM
    Why waste your money on these programs? Just tether for free using the QPST hack.
    i have QPST how do i change the phone with QPST to do it ? do you have a step by step ? i've flashed an old 8330 to metro pcs with it before...
    04-11-10 04:18 PM
    Blackberries should really have some kind of maturity requirement for usage...

04-11-10 06:05 PM
    i have QPST how do i change the phone with QPST to do it ? do you have a step by step ? i've flashed an old 8330 to metro pcs with it before...
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - How To: Enable tethering again on Sprint BB without PAM or tether app
    04-11-10 06:17 PM
    ...these expensive programs are good for noobs but not much else.
    Perhaps on Sprint, but I know of no way to do it on VZW (barring paying them their monthly fee and using Desktop Manager or VZAM or manually setting up DUN) without using a program like Tether or some other 3rd party app.

Am I mistaken?
    04-11-10 06:35 PM
    Perhaps on Sprint, but I know of no way to do it on VZW (barring paying them their monthly fee and using Desktop Manager or VZAM or manually setting up DUN) without using a program like Tether or some other 3rd party app.

Am I mistaken?
    Yes, you're mistaken. How to enable EVDO DUN on ANY EVDO capable phone in 10 easy steps! - My Verizon Users
    04-11-10 06:47 PM
    Well, I just read through that entire thread and VZW has caught on to that method. One person on that thread got a $700 bill in the mail from VZW.

No thanks. I'll stick with Tether. All data is routed through Tether's servers and makes it appear to VZW as if all the data requests are coming from the bb browser. This is well worth the $24.99 sale price that I got it for.
    Last edited by TravellingFool; 04-11-10 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Corrected typos. I was talking on the phone to my grandson and typing at the same time, lol.
    04-11-10 07:01 PM
    Yes, if you don't know what you're doing you might mess it up and get charged. "The old trick was nice because it actually used your voice minutes, and you didn't have to sign up for any data plan, but nothing that good lasts forever..."

Doing that is just stupid and you deserve to get caught. lol
    04-11-10 07:14 PM
    Ahh, I see your point. However, most of those people are using dumb phones.

Also, it would scare me to sign in under [email protected]. Talk about leaving your fingerprint everywhere!

I'm still not convinced it can work using a bb on VZW and not getting charged. If it does work, and you've actually used this method yourself on VZW, even though you are a Sprint customer, it would be nice to see some step-by-step instructions so others can benefit. I'm not talking about posting a link from dumb-phone users, but maybe a link about actual bb users on VZW from a thread that has some history of successful users of this method.

That would be convincing.

I'm not being combative here, but I think that your claim should be backed up by some kind of proof.

We are aware that we can configure DUN to tether. We are not aware that there is a way to do this and not get charged. Last time I tried it, it brought me to the VZW slash page that informed me that I can click to continue, and that by clicking I agree to the $29.95/month fee for tethering.
    04-11-10 07:26 PM
    ^^^ The proof is there if you just cared to read the thread. Again, you'll get caught if you have a voice-only plan and use the tethering hack to access data.

Next time, try reading a little more carefully: "So I called Verizon about the $700 bill, I negotiated with the rep, the discount went from 50% off, 75% off, 80%, to 95% off. So I ended up having to pay $60. I then signed up for $15/month unlimited data usage. This will cover my future EVDO DUN usage."
    04-11-10 07:46 PM
    ^^^ The proof is there if you just cared to read the thread. Again, you'll get caught if you have a voice-only plan and use the tethering hack to access data.

Next time, try reading a little more carefully: "So I called Verizon about the $700 bill, I negotiated with the rep, the discount went from 50% off, 75% off, 80%, to 95% off. So I ended up having to pay $60. I then signed up for $15/month unlimited data usage. This will cover my future EVDO DUN usage."
    As I said, I did read it. And I understood it. He is not a blackberry user. Blackberry users already have a data plan. He ended up paying for monthly data usage.

You, however, are implying that DUN can be configured, using a blackberry on VZW and an existing blackberry data plan, so that the user will not be charged an additional tethering fee if they do it properly.

You have not provided any info that shows that it can be done.

That thread you posted is apples and oranges. Again, I'm not trying to be combative, but I am trying to wrangle some facts out of you. Something more than, "these expensive programs are good for noobs but not much else."
    04-11-10 07:52 PM
    BTW, kobayashi, I'm not calling you a liar. Not at all. I'm simply asking you to back up your claim. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. No big deal.
    04-11-10 07:59 PM
    As I said, I did read it. And I understood it.
    Not sure how you could have read it and understood it and still posted something like this:
    Well, I just read through that entire thread and VZW has caught on to that method. One person on that thread got a $700 bill in the mail from VZW.
    04-11-10 08:47 PM
    He did get a bill, then got it reduced.

It is clear that you have no facts to offer. Instead you are only interested in continuing an argument just for argument's sake.

Bring on the facts please.

04-11-10 08:52 PM
    ^^^ Try reading post #21 a few more times. Who cares about the bill? Only someone who has no clue about tethering works would care about some clown WITHOUT A DATA PLAN getting charged for using data.
    04-11-10 08:57 PM
    Unfortunately, noobs are subject to entire data outages using Tether: http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/tether-down-451240/
    04-11-10 09:02 PM
    I'm on wap right now, sitting down in a restaurant, so I can't see post #'s, but regardless, I think either you are misunderstanding me or I am misunderstanding you.

You are starting to not make any sense. You keep changing up the discussion and diverting into other areas.

We are talking about something simple here: whether or not a VZW user with a bb can tether, without a paid app like Tether, and not get caught. The premise is simple.

You still refuse to address the issue in question. Instead you keep referring to this obscure link that is irrelevant to the discussion.

Do you really want to continue arguing about some guy's bill and whether or not his dumb phone had a data plan? Man. How about a relevant link that shows VZW users with bb's tethering, without a paid app, and getting away with it.

04-11-10 09:08 PM
    Yes, a VZW user with a BB can tether without a paid app. Without the hack, VZW won't even allow you to connect to their servers to tether. Just remember that VZW still hoses their customers with a 5GB data limit.
    04-11-10 09:51 PM
    I give up. You won't answer questions, and you get off on condescendingly calling people noobs because they pay for an app to tether. Then, when asked to present the facts, you keep saying it can be done without saying how or without offering proof.

Anyone can jump in anywhere and claim anything they wish.

Here's what this conversation is like:

You: The moon is square and made of cheese

Me: No it's not. Do you have any proof?

You: Yes. Here's a link that shows that the sun is oblong and purple.

Me: Sorry, but that link doesn't prove that the moon is square and made of cheese. Do you have anything else?

You: Hey noob. I just gave you proof. Can't you read?

Me: Please show me the proof.

You: Ok, fine. Here's the proof. I said so, so it's true.

Me: Later dude. Go argue with some other nut case.
    04-11-10 10:02 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD