Hi, I'm new here so forgive me if this has been addressed before, but I didn't find it.

I'm wondering if there is any software that makes editing your contacts on your PC easier. I have to use the ascii to sync with right now and they go into a txt file so it's very difficult to edit them. Is there anything easier?

I don't use outlook except for my job and my 8310 gets my contacts wireless from that but my 8300 isn't setup that way.

Could I save it to a database file? When I try to do that, I open the database afterwards and it says it's an unrecognized format
    12-26-07 08:43 AM
    Here are your choices:
    Organizer Support

• Microsoft Outlook« 2000, Outlook 2002, Outlook XP, Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007
    • Lotus Notes« 5.0.6 or later, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0
    • ACT!« 4.0.2, 5.0 (2000), 6.0
    • Lotus Organizer« 6.1
    • Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0, 6.0
    • Novell« GroupWise« 6.0.1, 6.5.4 or higher and 7.0
    • ASCII Importer/Exporter
    • NEW! Yahoo! PIM
    12-26-07 08:54 AM
    All it lists on my setup screen is:

<None>
    Microsoft Outlook
    Microsoft Outlook Express
    ASCII Importer/Exporter
    Yahoo!

That's all my choices, I have OS v4.2.2.166 (Platform 2.4.0.73)
    12-26-07 09:07 AM
    Other factors such as the Desktop Manager version you are using and whether or not you are BES will play into this. If you are not BES, for instance, you won't have any need for Novel Groupwise.

You can use ANY database application on your PC, as long as you export or convert it's output file to ASCII.
    12-26-07 09:09 AM
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I open up Access 2007 and create a blank database. Then I save it as an Access 2000 file just in case so there is no compatibility issues. Then I setup the ascii importer/exporter to go into that blank database file. I then have it sync, and when I try to open the database, it tells me it's an unrecognized file format. I have tried it as a 2003 file and 2007 as well, all the same. The only thing it works on is an excel file or txt file so far, but then the contacts are like:

First Last,,,,,,,,,info,,,,,,,info,,,,,,,,,,,

and I don't want to count commas to edit contacts lol.
    12-26-07 09:24 AM
    Are you exporting your Access file to the correct ASCII type? You just said you save it as an Access 200 file--which is not ASCII. Experiment and see what type Excel saves, and try to replicate that with Access.

It seems you exporting to a comma delimited file. Try doing to to a Tab delimited file and see how it goes.
    Last edited by jsanders; 12-26-07 at 10:25 AM.
    12-26-07 10:22 AM
    Thanks! Changing to a Tab Delimited file worked just fine! Cheers!
    12-26-07 10:37 AM
    I'm trying to get my Lotus Organizer 4.1 files to my 8820. I'm exporting the Org files as ASCII, and AFAIK, it's comma delimited (and I think with carriage returns at the end of each record). I have desktop manager 4.2.2.14 configured to import just the calendar (which is the ASCII file) to the 8820. I've fooled around with comma-delimited, tab delimited, etc with no luck. The file is pretty big -- 651k -- if that matters.

I've patched the log below FYI; I don't understand the "Inputs from first system" and "Inputs from second system," but otherwise I don't see why I'd get that error message at the end of the log. Any suggestions?

Here's the log I get when I try to run it:
    On 12/30/2007 9:33 PM
    Synchronize Handheld Calendar with ASCII Importer/Exporter Calendar

First System: Handheld
    Second System: ASCII Importer/Exporter
    Second System File Name: f:\lotus\work\organize\test.txt
    Conflict Resolution: Notify
    Appointment Range: From 12/30/2007 To 12/31/2400

Total Inputs From First System: 0

Total Inputs From Second System: 0

Field mapping used for translation:
    ASCII Importer/Exporter Handheld
    Description Title --------------- Description Title
    Notes --------------------------- Notes
    Location ------------------------ Location
    Alarm Date ---------------------- Alarm Date
    Alarm Time ---------------------- Alarm Time
    Start Date ---------------------- Start Date
    Start Time ---------------------- Start Time
    End Date ------------------------ End Date
    End Time ------------------------ End Time
    Alarm Flag ---------------------- Alarm Flag
    Free Busy ----------------------- Free Busy
    Private ------------------------- Private

Unable to initialize application API.
    Verify that correct application version is installed.
    Translation Canceled!
    12-30-07 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD