Back quite some time ago when I only had my palm T5 I was wondering if there were any good apps to detail my DVD collection basically catalog everything I own with details and allow me to indicate if it has been barrowed and by whom. Anyone know if there are any apps like this and if they are any good. I can be for BB or palm though I would prefer it on my BB as I use it for just about everything now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 09:16 AM
    I would also like to know if anyone has had any luck finding an app like this that catalogs dvds/cds

iphone has one called "movie catalog"

I have yet to see one for blackberry.
    02-09-09 07:19 PM
    Basically this kind of app requires sort of a database underneath it. However I have noted in general in the past a lack of this kind of app or a quality one on mobile platforms. the best way to do this is to get a database app. If it also allows the creation for forms you can then in essense have a UI for viewing and entering the collection. I have a database app on my palm T5 that in essense is MS access but not made by MS. The great thing about using a database app is that you get to make it the way you want instead of relying on the developer to do so.

02-09-09 07:45 PM
    .....when I was an unknowing windows mobile user I used this program called ListPro by IllumiSoft. It was great and came with a starter list (downloaded from their site). You could even share the list with other friends (so they didn't have to start from scratch) I have still been cataloging my DVD collection in hopes of them creating a program for blackberry devices.
    02-09-09 07:52 PM
    How hard would it be to create a simple database program like this?

02-11-09 01:09 PM
    Creating the database is just about as easy as making a chart of your dvds and the details you want to catalog. Making an application to be a front end to the database not so simple. It all depends on what programming language that has to be used. For instance for making windows apps visual basic makes it extremely easy to setup the GUI as it is nothing more than looking at a blank window and placing the buttons, text boxes etc and entering the details.

I created an application along the lines of a dvd collection but it was for cataloging and tracking music for my charches worship services. The level of detail databased and entered and viewed by the user was as much or more than cataloging every detail of a dvd for a dvd collection. I wrote it in visual basic and it took me about a year to complete the application including beta testing with a limited trusted set of friends.

02-14-09 06:03 PM
    Don't mean to drudge up an old topic, but I was searching for the same sort of thing and thought I'd share what I had found.

Sadly, IlliumSoft doesn't make a version of ListPro for BlackBerry's. Only their eWallet application is available.

I found trackIT on the BB App store, which functions a lot like it, though:
    BlackBerry App World - trackIT: Custom Edition

With it, you can create small "databases" to track anything you like. It comes with DVD catalog and recipe databases as samples though It'll run you $14.99. Oddly enough, the same software on the Crackberry App Store is more expensive ($24.95).

You could also use a standard excel spreadsheet or .csv file that you can open in GridMagic, a free spreadsheet application:
    BlackBerry App World - GridMagic

That's all I've found.
    08-18-09 02:19 PM
    Make an Excel spreadsheet. They even have a template already made up. The basic Docs to Go would do work just fine with this because you could edit it on the BB once you have the spreadsheet made up. It would also be viewable on both computer and BB.

In fact, this is a grea idea, I think I'll start one now.
    08-18-09 02:34 PM
    When I get home I'll see if I can find the site that lets you take a photo of the UPC on the DVD and it will catalog the DVD's into a library, you MAY be able to use your BB and this site together.

EDIT:

I can't find the website that I had found a whole ago,
    Though IMDB's "My Movie" feature is nice, and I can add to it from my DB, bit it doesn't work as nice as I'd like on my blackberry, it would suck to start a list from my BB, but add new DVD's with IMDB would work
    Last edited by deRusett; 08-18-09 at 07:23 PM.
    08-18-09 06:25 PM
    I know the windows program MyMovies from mymovies.dk allows you to use a webcam to scan the barcodes of your movies, it then downloads all the info into a database on your computer, (Cast, Front and Back Cover, Plot, Runtime, Year, Rating, ETC)

the database is in an xml file.

I haven't messed with it too much but i'm sure you can start with that.
    08-18-09 09:52 PM
    VideoList Plus is a complete DVD, movie, and video library organization tool for Blackberry handhelds! Carry your list of DVDs or movies with you for fast and convenient reference. This package INCLUDES Windows PC desktop software for easy data entry and editing! Sync data to your Blackberry device and view your list on the Blackberry.

The price INCLUDES the FREE desktop companion for Windows PC. Sync your DVD, video, and movie list from the PC companion to your Blackberry device. Device software allows viewing of all video details. Desktop Manager is required to sync data to the device.

Download the PC version from:
    VideoList Plus Download Page

Features of the included PC companion software include:
    - PC companion software for your desktop PC to import and add records
    - Attached an image or picture to a record on the PC
    - Keep track of DVDs owned, wanted, borrowed, etc.
    - Define your own categories and other master lists to fit YOUR needs
    - FREE updates and upgrades within the same version number

Read more about Video List Plus software at:
    VideoList Plus Information Page
    10-07-09 03:29 PM
    This would be nice if there was a standalone BB app. Syncing a BB is just a pain, and there is really no need.

At any rate, I downloaded it, gave it my best shot. The PC app works well, very intuitive. Couldn't get it on my BB Storm II to save my life.

Guess I'll keep looking.
    03-17-11 06:22 PM
    I am using Griffith (Griffith - Home) which runs under Windows and Linux and export my Collection to HTML and copy the sites on the SD-card.
    Not what you are looking for but I'd rather prefer a Software that I can browse and edit with Linux instead of Blackberry exclusive.
    03-18-11 03:59 AM
    Excel works with a spreadsheet in Dataviz app-docs to go and can be used on android and windows as well.
    06-26-11 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD