Since I can not find an app that does this, I'll throw the idea out here and see if anyone wants to give it a shot.

Some of you might be old enough to remember the "Memory Dialers" that one would carry in their pocker, with some sort of address book built in, and when you wanted to call someone, you would look the person up in your phone book, select the number, and hit dial while holding the device up to the receiver side of your phone. The device would transmit the DTMF tones for the number required, which would, of course, dial the number.

So, why could not an app for BB be developed to do the same thing? I make a lot o calls from my desk, using my desktop phone, but use my 9650 as my primary phone book. It would be slick to look up a contact, select the number I want to dial, and have a context menu item to transmit the DTMF and dial the number directly through the phone receiver.

Sorry for the rambling question - been up since 4am and I am tired...
    09-07-11 07:49 PM
    Trying one bump in case it got buried. Threads move so quick in this forum...

Anyone?
    09-08-11 06:28 PM
    Interesting idea... I'm no developer, but it seems it shouldn't be too hard.
    09-08-11 06:58 PM
    I'm not sure what you're asking for... Do you have a picture? Whatever it is, it looks cool!
    09-08-11 08:37 PM
    The concept is great - but something simple to keep in mind.

Most companies are making the move to IP/digital phones that don't work with DTMF tones anymore. For example, my desk phone isn't an IP phone, but rather an Avaya digital phone that, yes, generates DTMF tones once you dial out (for use with IVR systems and such), but when you pick up the receiver and start the call, the dialpad and dialing mechanism is all digital, yes, it will generate a DTMF tone so you know you're dialing, but if you were to use a DTMF generator to try and dial it won't work. More and more phone switches/systems are working like this now.

BlackBerry being a business phone, I'm not sure how useful it would be to have this application seeing as most users are in a business environment, where IP/digital phones are mainly dominant.

Just my two cents.
    09-08-11 09:04 PM
    I think what Blackfeet is asking for is an app that instead of dialing a chosen phone number directly plays the tones of the number. One can then play those tones to (the receiver part of) another phone and that other phone uses the tones to dial the number.

The devices were often used for sending PIN/Credit Card/? #'s over rotary phones which didn't produce the tones.
    09-08-11 09:04 PM
    I don't think you'll find much use out of an app like that due to what WXMan said.

Lot of businesses switching from analogue phone to digital. Even homes are switching from standard POTS lines to digital or voip phone.
    09-08-11 09:10 PM
    The concept is great - but something simple to keep in mind.

Most companies are making the move to IP/digital phones that don't work with DTMF tones anymore. For example, my desk phone isn't an IP phone, but rather an Avaya digital phone that, yes, generates DTMF tones once you dial out (for use with IVR systems and such), but when you pick up the receiver and start the call, the dialpad and dialing mechanism is all digital, yes, it will generate a DTMF tone so you know you're dialing, but if you were to use a DTMF generator to try and dial it won't work. More and more phone switches/systems are working like this now.

BlackBerry being a business phone, I'm not sure how useful it would be to have this application seeing as most users are in a business environment, where IP/digital phones are mainly dominant.

Just my two cents.
    That's a good point, but if you dial 9 to get an outside line, wouldn't that be dialing on the public phone system which I think still uses DTMF as a back up. I'm not 100% on that. But I think it could come in handy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 09:16 PM
    An interesting idea but like wxman said, not sure on how many phones it would work on. I think it would be fairly simple to code overall. Though, for me it would just be faster to dial the number manually.... unless this app was voice activated.
    09-08-11 09:16 PM
    I think what Blackfeet is asking for is an app that instead of dialing a chosen phone number directly plays the tones of the number. One can then play those tones to (the receiver part of) another phone and that other phone uses the tones to dial the number.

The devices were often used for sending PIN/Credit Card/? #'s over rotary phones which didn't produce the tones.
    This is exactly what I am looking for. These kind of devices were popular in the 80 when some folks still had rotary phones and needed to send CC and PIN numbers over the phones. They got phased out as button phones became the norm. I can not, with a day worth of trying, find a genuine example to show anyone, as everything I found on the 'net were modified variants that didn't really show anything.

All this being said, it is a valid point that a lot of businesses are switching to VOiP, which would, of course, defeat this kind of app. However, I work in Public Safety, for a County Fire Dept. With Govt. budget issues being what they are, we are nowhere near changing phone systems, and most of anyone I would call this way is also in the same boat.

Thanks for all the discussion - I am hopeful somebody with the skill/talent wants to take a crack at it.
    09-08-11 11:13 PM
    Good old Radio Shack Pocket Tone Dialer (cat #43-138, 43-139 and others). Had a DTMF tone generator and (on the deluxe models) memory storage. You could replace the timing crystal with a 6.5536 MHZ crystal and convert the dialer into a red box providing free phone calls on a payphone (remember those?)

You could probably get by with a soundboard app and the twelve DTMF tones recorded as mp3's.
    09-09-11 10:49 AM
    DTMF tones are dual frequency so that might be hard to accomplish with the tools in the SDK. I'm not sure if MP3 recordings maintain that critical property that is required to work over the PSTN. I once wrote a tone decoder for use on a PC and using a Fast Fourier transform algorithm based utility and found that MP3 recordings failed to decode properly.
    09-09-11 11:08 AM
    I'll put a bid in for being EXTREMELY interested in this project.

Like Blackfeet, I use my phone as my contact list, but I suffer from Lotsofmeetingitis, and 95% of them involve dialing into a conference call. So it's a lot of fun trying to pull up the number and then dial it wait, enter passcode. What an easily fixable PITA.

And, like some of you back in the day, I had a Palm. A Handera actually thank you very much. This project was tackled as well, and ultimately dropped because, even though tones could be generated, 2 tones at the same time could not because there was only the 1 peizo-electric speaker. The closest someone came was generating the 2 tones alternately...really fast. Fast enough so the phone thought it was a single tone.

I'll have to try simply recording the tones with some recording app and trying to play it back to see if it works.
    09-12-11 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD