View Poll Results: Free complimentary drive safe.ly working for you?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • works perfect

5 10.64%
  • not working properly

41 87.23%
  • wth is drive safe.ly?

1 2.13%
  • don't need apps... I"m too cool on my own

1 2.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Was working fine last night on my 9810 running OS 7.0.0.261
    Stopped working today..
    enabled and disabled... still same.

Installed on curve 3G running OS 6.3.0.631
    worked fine first time to read out loud.. but stopped working once turned off and back on as well..

Are the free apps killing their server or something? Free apps not working is making the situation worse ( even though I know its a third party that runs it )
    10-19-11 02:12 PM
    Installed on my Bold 9650 this morning. Set it up correctly, followed all the FAQ's on their site to be sure it's correct. Rarely works. It'll read an email here and there but most times no. Same with texts. Out of 6 today, it read one. Voice commands to reply to texts doesn't work. Two battery pulls, numerous re-checks of settings. Very tempermental app.

Joe
    10-19-11 02:35 PM
    DriveSafe.Ly has always been a temperamental app. As the original post has indicated, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. In my case, I installed it last night and it worked for about 16 hours; nothing has changed on my phone in terms of settings, but now it reads less than 10% of my texts/emails.

Battery pulls, re-editing the settings, and so forth seem to do nothing. It's almost as if it has a mind of its own as when it works, it works well, and when it doesnt, who knows why.

Given the unreliable nature of this app - it's hardly one that I would classify as premium.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    10-19-11 02:39 PM
    With my 9850 I didn't even make it through the set up--the T's & C's didn't display well and when accepted them anyway the phone went squirrely. Blank screen and had to pop the battery and just removed the app.

Definite issue with the app and maybe with Appworld too. Good thing they didn't provide all of the free apps at the same time.
    10-19-11 02:41 PM
    I deleted that app faster than any other. Waste of time. Worked once, then never again. Thankfully I didn't waste $20!
    10-19-11 05:19 PM
    Has worked all day since downloading it this morning.
    10-19-11 06:51 PM
    Yeah. DriveSafely appears to be very finicky.
    Was working fine last night on my 9810 running OS 7.0.0.261
    Ouch!
    Installed on curve 3G running OS 6.3.0.631
    worked fine first time to read out loud.. but stopped working once turned off and back on as well..
    I know that the 9330 is not listed as a supported device, but I think you may have a 9300 though. What device was provided to you by Telus? The 9330 or the 9300?
    Are the free apps killing their server or something?
    Quite possible.

With my 9850 I didn't even make it through the set up--the T's & C's didn't display well and when accepted them anyway the phone went squirrely. Blank screen and had to pop the battery and just removed the app.

Definite issue with the app and maybe with Appworld too. Good thing they didn't provide all of the free apps at the same time.
    Maybe not. I think I read somewhere that you have to turn off compatibility mode on the Torch.
    10-19-11 08:55 PM
    I just deleted it off my 9810 this morning. Tried all day yesterday to get it to work. Looked up all the posts in crackberry for help, went on their site for help and nothing I found worked. The only thing I got it to do was announce "drive safely on" "drive safely off". It should not be this hard to get an app to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 05:14 AM
    I have it on my 9670 and it is a finicky one. I'm also curious if I have to keep my phone open for it to read my emails and texts. If that's the case, I'll be deleting it. I don't want my phone just sitting open in my car while I wait for the app to maybe/maybe not read my emails and texts.
    10-20-11 10:45 AM
    After fiddling with it for a couple of days, I've come to the conclusion this is the biggest piece of cr-app ever. Good thing it was offered free. I feel sorry for the folks who were duped into paying $20 for this garbage.

Joe
    10-20-11 10:51 AM
    I tried the free limited version months ago and it only worked for the first day. The owner of the app personally wrote with silly possible solutions- most of the usual stuff we always do to reset an app- but it never worked again. Deleted it; thought it might just be the free version. This version is just as bad, except you have more options to pick to not work. You can tell it to not work on dozens of different voices and languages, or select how many words you want it to not read. You can even tell it to not work on voice commands, or tell it to not work on reading emails. Much more versatile. This has to be one of the most customizable apps that doesn't work on the market. Very impressive! So, as a free gift for RIM's dedicated customers, now we can not pay $20.00 for an app that doesn't work on a network that didn't work.
    How much more can they screw up eveyrthing they touch?????
    joefalco and MADBRADNYC like this.
    10-20-11 04:48 PM
    Absolutely Hilarious...
    Deleted it; thought it might just be the free version....

This version is just as bad, except you have more options to pick to not work.
    LMFAO!!!

You can tell it to not work on dozens of different voices and languages, or select how many words you want it to not read. You can even tell it to not work on voice commands, or tell it to not work on reading emails. Much more versatile. This has to be one of the most customizable apps that doesn't work on the market. Very impressive!
    This Spin is actually NOT spin. Makes sense? Totally!

I needed this today. Thanks!
    10-20-11 05:27 PM
    I tried the free limited version months ago and it only worked for the first day. The owner of the app personally wrote with silly possible solutions- most of the usual stuff we always do to reset an app- but it never worked again. Deleted it; thought it might just be the free version. This version is just as bad, except you have more options to pick to not work. You can tell it to not work on dozens of different voices and languages, or select how many words you want it to not read. You can even tell it to not work on voice commands, or tell it to not work on reading emails. Much more versatile. This has to be one of the most customizable apps that doesn't work on the market. Very impressive! So, as a free gift for RIM's dedicated customers, now we can not pay $20.00 for an app that doesn't work on a network that didn't work.
    How much more can they screw up eveyrthing they touch?????
    Well done!

Joe
    10-20-11 05:44 PM
    Have you guys contacted the dev with your issues? Any resolution? When I had this app on my 9630 ot worked great, loved it.
    10-20-11 05:48 PM
    Have you guys contacted the dev with your issues? Any resolution? When I had this app on my 9630 ot worked great, loved it.
    To answer your questions... Yes and No...
    I am glad that it did work properly for you though on the 9630. I hoped for the same, but no joy.

I actually had a marathon session with them. I was constantly referred to the FAQ pages (which I have already put through the paces), followed by the usual battery pull, uninstall re-install stuff even though I had already stated I've done all of that. No resolutions.

Oh well. I'm really waiting for Vlingo anyway.
    10-20-11 05:56 PM
    chrisy520 asked:
    Have we contacted the developer?

My original post above:

I tried the free limited version months ago and it only worked for the first day. The owner of the app personally wrote with silly possible solutions- most of the usual stuff we always do to reset an app- but it never worked again.
    Usual stuff- reboot, pull battery, check permissions, reinstall. NG.
    You were just very lucky. Right now (last time I looked) the poll is running 16 not working to 2 working. That's just shy of 90% not working. Not very good odds.
    10-20-11 06:20 PM
    Torch 9810.

Worked on the first two text I received, was pretty psyched.

My wife got home with her IPhone4 and I was ready to school her - well guess what, no luck, doesn't work, and BB/RIM looks awful again. Luckily my work pays for this. Unbelievable.
    10-20-11 06:28 PM
    Well since I'm a glutton for punishment, I reinstalled it. This time, however, I turned off voice commands. Now it works everytime as a reader only. If I turn on the voice commands, then as soon as one text comes in and it prompts for a command that it never understands, it locks up.

So essentially this paid version gift is now only as good as the free version.

Will dump it for good as soon as Vlingo Pro is released.

Joe
    Last edited by joefalco; 10-20-11 at 08:02 PM.
    10-20-11 07:06 PM
    I uninstalled this today as the battery drain was ridiculous, not to mention that when my phone was connected to my cars internal bluetooth system as normal, no messages were read out loud anyway, so it was a complete waste of time. Very poor app, good idea in principle, but badly executed and very glitchy.
    10-21-11 03:47 AM
    Voice command, missed messages and horrible Battery life.
    9800 running 668.
    I lost 40% battery overnight

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 10:02 AM
    Same issues on my 9810. I tried the free version on my 9800 and it didn't work (other than the on/off command) and installed the "gift version" on my 9810 (one week old) and it did read the emails and texts but drained the battery like crazy and more importantly, it started causing my screen to flicker/toggle on and off. I turned off the permissions and the flickering/toggling disapeared. Not sure why this app would cause this but from the looks at the voting, it is a crappy app and has a lot of issues! I'm going to uninstall it and wait for Vlingo which is a good proven application. What a bummer though, and it got so many gold stars in the ratings!
    10-21-11 01:53 PM
    Well, it quit again, LOL. Worked pretty good after 3 reinstalls. For 3/4 of a day. Oh well. Had such potential.

Come on RIM, push out Vlingo!

Joe
    10-21-11 02:27 PM
    Uninstalled the Drive Safe.ly pro app and installed "drive carefully" and it doesn't work on my 9810! Bummer!!!! all it says is drive carefully on and off! Sucks!
    10-21-11 03:02 PM
    Drive Carefully is a free app from Voice on the Go and seems to work perfectly. No reply to email or text available though but it reads emails and texts great. you can get it on app world for free. I disabled the email reading when I'm at desk or somewhere other than driving but when driving it's going to be on. really need something like Email by Dragon to write and read emails. not available for most though.
    10-21-11 03:31 PM
    After fiddling with it for a couple of days, I've come to the conclusion this is the biggest piece of cr-app ever. Good thing it was offered free. I feel sorry for the folks who were duped into paying $20 for this garbage.

Joe
    Very well said . I'm waiting for Vlingo but after this crappy one I start to be afraid Vlingo will be a dissapointment too
    10-21-11 04:04 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD