Hello All, Im new to the bb world and new to the crackberry site. My new bb storm hasnt even arrived yet! I am going to get it unlocked, somehow (im a tmobile customer), but i dont have a data plan. I was wondering if it is possible to pay for one of these apps/themes that i see here and elsewhere, and have them be downloaded to a mini sd card in my computer, then transferred to my phone that way? I really dont feel that i will be using the web enough to warrant paying for it every month. But i certainly dont mind paying for the apps. Any help would be appreciated
    08-17-09 08:23 PM
    Welcome to the BlackBerry world. I hope everything turns out to be everything you hoped it would be.

To answer your question, yes, sort of. Any OTA links (or Over The Air) links can only be downloaded through the BB browser which you will need a data plan for. These links are also referred to as .jad files. This doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

What you are looking for are zip or executable files. These are downloaded to you computer/laptop and then loaded onto your device through Desktop Manager. DM is an application thatshould come with your BB and a USB cable for file transfer. These are the tools you are looking for.

The downside to what you are looking to achieve is that most apps are data intensive. This means that apps like Facebook, Myspace, UberTwitter, Viigo, Weather Bug, and other apps are going to need that data connection to work. In fact, most phone providers enforce a policy that ALL BBs must have a data package to work.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me or PIN me.
    08-18-09 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD