Hey everyone! Got my BB 8310 Curve up and running and couldn't be happier. Quick question though - am I being charged anything for using Google Maps? I'm not sure if it falls under my unlimited web/data plan, or if there are seperate charges for using the phone's GPS feature.

Also - every time I use it, it asks me for permission to use the GPS. Is it ok if I just click YES and let it remember that for the future? Because of my worry of extra fees, I'm not sure if I should allow it or not.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
    01-29-08 07:53 AM
    Software is free. But it uses data (GPRS/EDGE) so if you don't have unlimited data, better watch out...
    01-29-08 07:57 AM
    I have unlimited data (Blackberry Personal Max).
    01-29-08 11:49 AM
    make sure you have unlimited data plan. if you do not close the program (i.e.switch application) it may still run in the background eating up data time (ouch!).
    02-02-08 11:45 AM
    Hello I have a 8820 with unlimited data plan & I have installed Google maps three times every time I start the program it freezes up my blackberry? I am new to the site & I have only had a blackberry for about year. However this was not a problem on my old 8300 (non GPS). Any advice would be great. Thanks in advanve...
    Richy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-08 12:01 PM
    Google Maps does use tons of data. If you go to an entirely new location or zoom level it often downloads 700K or data, the better part of a MB. If you were on one of those 4 MB per month plan, you could go over pretty fast.
    02-02-08 03:04 PM
    1) Google maps costs nothing to download.
    2) Use of the GPS satellite data is free (you paid for the satellites with your tax dollars ) but it does cost battery power to keep the GPS receiver powered, how much I don't know.
    3) Google maps (and the other navigation software) use up LOTS of data to load the maps to display the GPS information to you. You NEED an unlimited data plan or it is going to cost you a great deal at $10.00/Meg.
    4) Google maps (like any application) uses system resources so remember to close the app when not in use.
    02-08-08 12:31 PM
    Where do i go to download Google maps ?
    02-08-08 01:37 PM
    From the BB Browser go to Mobile
    02-08-08 01:48 PM
    Anyone got a recomendation for a Bluetooth GPS device for use with my pearl 8100. Have been thinking of investing since I took my dads bb curve for a spin with the voice navi. Any help us appreciated.
    Thanks

02-12-08 01:36 AM
    02-12-08 01:48 AM
    if only google maps had voice navigation ;] but other than that it rocks.
    02-12-08 12:54 PM
    It will definitely come in a new version
    02-27-08 04:30 AM
    Yeah google maps kicks @$$ even w/o gps! I always know where I am and where I am going just by checking at a stoplight

02-27-08 04:48 AM
    I cant use the map what do i do?
    03-16-08 06:09 PM
    I'm new to the Blackberry AND this site. I just want to say....I LOVE YOU GUYS!! Well, not as much as my new BB Pearl. Hey! It's the thought that counts. I have been searching this site for the past two days (BB owner now for 8 days). You guys have answered TONS of questions and I just want to say....THANKS!!!!
    03-16-08 08:11 PM
    I downloaded Google Maps for free on Crackberry.com. If I use it to get directions from point "A" to point "B", will I be charged fees, and how if they don't have any information about my service or anything (since it was downloaded for free)?

Thanks.
    06-15-10 12:36 PM
    I downloaded Google Maps for free on Crackberry.com. If I use it to get directions from point "A" to point "B", will I be charged fees, and how if they don't have any information about my service or anything (since it was downloaded for free)?

Thanks.
    There are no charges, but it uses data. You might be charged if you do not have an unlimited data plan.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-15-10 12:41 PM
    There are no charges, but it uses data. You might be charged if you do not have an unlimited data plan.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Hey thanks for the reply.

By charge, do you mean that my mobile carrier will charge me?
    06-15-10 02:05 PM
    I cant use the map what do i do?
    It just amazes me when people post questions like this without any details and expect an answer.
    06-16-10 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD