I just got my first Blackberry and I have a question that might be dumb. I don't have internet and was wondering if you need it to download apps.
    07-24-09 09:08 AM
    Not exactly.
    There are over the air (OTA) links for the majority of programs, and desktop links for some. But since most programs use the internet, it's kind of futile.
    To be honest, I don't know why you'd want a blackberry with no internet. You'd be wasting the reason for having a BB. No. Email, browsing, weather, messaging, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 09:20 AM
    In some form or fashion it does required an internet connection... either you get an email with a link to download the app Over The Air (OTA), or you need to download a component to your PC and install an app using your Desktop Manager application.

You might want to read some of the Blackberry 101 lessons here on CB... they can really help you to understand your device... I added a link to my signature below... you can also get to them from any Forum page under "Blackberry Help" at the top of every page.
    07-24-09 09:20 AM
    Not exactly.
    There are over the air (OTA) links for the majority of programs, and desktop links for some. But since most programs use the internet, it's kind of futile.
    To be honest, I don't know why you'd want a blackberry with no internet. You'd be wasting the reason for having a BB. No. Email, browsing, weather, messaging, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well I thought when it said WIFI, I would be able to get on the internet. I think I am going to get internet and email.
    07-24-09 09:33 AM
    If you don't have a data plan, but have Wifi enabled (White, not Grey icon) then you ARE on the Internet... but that does not mean all your Applications can work with just Wifi... some/most require a data plan.
    07-24-09 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD