Q. What is the Thank You from BlackBerry Offer?

A: We announced on Monday, October 17, that a selection of premium apps worth a total estimated value of more than US $100 will be offered free of charge to customers as an expression of appreciation for their patience during the recent service disruptions. The various premium apps will become available (free of charge) on BlackBerry App World on different dates between October 19 November 30. All of these apps will remain available to download at no charge until December 31, 2011, and they are yours to keep afterward as well. Starting January 1, 2012, these premium apps will return to full price on BlackBerry App World.

The full press release will be available at RIM News - Research In Motion Newsroom

Q. When does this offer expire?

A. Customers can download these premium apps until December 31, 2011.

For users with a BIS Lite or BBM-only plan, these free apps will be downloadable over Wi-Fi from BlackBerry App World beginning in November 2011.

Q. What apps are available?

A. Research In Motion (RIM) is working in partnership with a select list of developers to offer more than $100 USD worth of premium apps to BlackBerry users. Only those apps will be available through this offer. The list of apps available may vary by country. Please check BlackBerry App World to confirm the availability of apps in your country. The list of developers and the apps that will be available include the following (with more to come):

SIMS 3 - Electronic Arts
    Bejeweled - Electronic Arts
    N.O.V.A. - Gameloft
    Texas Holdem Poker 2 - Gameloft
    Bubble Bash 2 - Gameloft
    Photo Editor Ultimate - Ice Cold Apps
    DriveSafe.ly Pro - iSpeech.org
    iSpeech Translator Pro - iSpeech.org
    Drive Safe.ly Enterprise - iSpeech.org
    Nobex Radio Premium - Nobex
    Documents To Go Premium Edition - RIM/DataViz
    Shazam Encore - Shazam
    Vlingo Plus: Virtual Assistant - Vlingo

Q. How will the free apps be marked in BlackBerry App World?

A. As apps become available through this offer, they can be found in the App World carousel in a category called A Thank You Gift from BlackBerry. We will also announce the availability of new free apps on Facebook and Twitter to make it easy for you to find and download them when theyre released. We encourage you to connect with the BlackBerry Facebook page in your area, too, for the latest news, events, and product announcements for your country and region: BlackBerry - Worldwide | Facebook.

Q. I already have some of those apps. Can I get a substitute or a credit instead?

A. No. In an effort to reach out to our customers around the world, in an individual way that would not impose/create tax/income/currency exchange challenges, we are offering our valued customers these premier apps at no cost. They have been hand-selected, and we hope you will enjoy them.

Q. If I previously purchased one of these apps, can I get a refund for it?

A. This program will be available beginning Wednesday, October 19 through December 31, 2011. There will not be a refund for customers who purchased apps available through this program outside of this time frame.

Q. Can I let my friend redeem my free app?

A. This offer is available to all BlackBerry smartphone customers with access to BlackBerry App World. If you do not currently have BlackBerry App World on your smartphone you can download it from BlackBerry App World

Q. Are there plans for further compensation?

A. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the service interruptions and delays you recently experienced. You depend on us for reliable, real-time communications for your organization, and we let you down. We realize that the impact of the service challenges was significant, and to help, we would like to offer you these new, premier apps at no cost as our way of saying, Thank you for your patience, and apologies for any inconvenience.

Q. How will the apps be free to customers? Will there be a credit associated to their BBID? Or will there be a promo code? Or will the apps just be free to anyone until the end of the year?

A. The free apps will be placed in a special category on the BlackBerry App World carousel named Thank You Gift from BlackBerry." The apps in this category can be downloaded at no cost to all active BlackBerry smartphone users until December 31, 2011.

Q: After December 31, 2011 when the Thank You offer ends, will I have to pay for the apps Ive downloaded?

A: No, you wont have to pay for the app once youve downloaded it for free. All of the apps selected for the Thank You Gift offer will be available to download at no charge until December 31, 2011, and they are yours to keep and use afterward. Starting January 1, 2012, these premium apps will return to their full price on BlackBerry App World, so be sure to take advantage of the free Thank You offer by downloading them at no cost on or before December 31, 2011.

Q. How is RIM going to ensure that I am not charged for the apps?

A. Separate SKUs will be created for each app in BlackBerry App World. You wont have to pay for the app once youve downloaded it for free. All of the apps selected for the Thank You Gift offer will be available to download at no charge until December 31, 2011, and they are yours to keep and use afterward, even if you upgrade your device or software. This will be managed through your BlackBerry ID account.

Q. How does the $100 US offer work in other regions? Will the currency be converted?

A. To clarify, the Thank You offer is the no-cost access to premium apps they have an overall estimated value of more than $100 USD. The apps will be available through the Thank You Gift from BlackBerry category in BlackBerry App World at no charge. As the apps will be free to all customers, no account credits will be required or distributed.

Q. How can I create a BlackBerry ID?

A. KB24062 - How to create a BlackBerry ID - KB24062-How to create a BlackBerry ID

Q. How can I reset my BlackBerry ID password?

A. KB26361 - How to reset a BlackBerry ID password - KB26361-How to reset a BlackBerry ID password

Q. How can I confirm what my BlackBerry ID Username is?

A. KB28684 - How to confirm what my BlackBerry ID Username is - KB28684-How to confirm what my BlackBerry ID Username is

Q. How can I reset my password using my password recovery question?

A. KB28685 - How to reset the BlackBerry ID password using the password recovery question - KB28685- How to reset the BlackBerry ID password using the password recovery question

Q. Will customers be required to have internet to take advantage of this offer?

A. These free apps valued at more than $100 USD, will be downloadable from BlackBerry App World, which requires either an internet plan or downloads over Wi-Fi from BlackBerry App World (beginning in November 2011).

Q. Will apps only be available for devices that have software version 5.0 and later?

A. All apps will be available for devices running software version 5.0 and later, and some will also be available for device software 4.5 and 4.6. Please check BlackBerry App World to confirm the availability of apps for your device.

Q. Will all of the apps be available in every country?

A. The apps that will be available through the Thank You Gift from BlackBerry offer were selected to ensure they were available globally. However, there are some regions where there are exceptions for some of the apps, and there are a limited number of countries that will not be able to access BlackBerry App World.

Q. BlackBerry App World is not available in my country. Where can I get the free apps from?

A. Unfortunately, the free app offer is only available through BlackBerry App World. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Q. I do not have a data plan that allows me access to BlackBerry App World. Where can I get the free apps from?

A. Unfortunately the free app offer is only available through BlackBerry App World. Please feel free to check with your carrier about potentially upgrading your plan so that you can participate in the free app offer.

Q. For Enterprise customers who may not have BlackBerry AppWorld due to policies deployed by their BES Administrator, will RIM provide files (COD and ALX) so the apps can be deployed from the BES?

A. Unfortunately, the free app offer is only available through BlackBerry App World. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Q. Will SMB and Enterprise customers have access to all of the free apps?

A. If an app is not suitable for an SMB or Enterprise customer, the BES administrator for that company will have the ability to block the app.
    Now on the sites latest updates Documents To Go Premium Edition is no longer listed
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/apps/.../faq.html,what up with that.Has RIM reneged on their promise? I f anyone has some input on this please let me know?
    Last edited by Bahamaboy99; 11-25-11 at 08:27 AM.
    11-25-11 08:25 AM
    Shoot, that's the one free app I want! I don't deserve any since I was on Android during the outages. But still.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-11 08:52 AM
    great, the most useful app of the lot was removed
    11-25-11 09:12 AM
    If you people need it so bad then pay for it.
    The very fact that you guys didn't buy it shows that you can live without it.
    By the way Chrisy, if you buy the 9900 you get Docs to Go premium pre-installed. All OS7 devices have the premium version. Another reason to rethink.
    11-25-11 09:22 AM
    hmmmm.... you know doing a google search on the original announcement of the free apps, not a single one of the original lists reported had Documents 2 go on it.
    sam_b77 likes this.
    11-25-11 09:34 AM
    hmmmm.... you know doing a google search on the original announcement of the free apps, not a single one of the original lists reported had Documents 2 go on it.
    It's not long before people blame RIM for not taking their customers for a beach vacation.
    Altarocks and PHDColumbus like this.
    11-25-11 09:51 AM
    I'm disgusted with people that whine over not getting something free or those that complain about the quality of a gift. That's the mindset of a child. If you feel RIM owes you something for the outage get over it. It's an imperfect world; screws fall out.

*Rant over. Carry on.
    11-25-11 11:34 AM
    To all of you who disagree with what am saying or call it whine, that's just your opinion!The fact of the matter is as customers we paid for a service/goods rendered!Those services where not delivered during the blackout,as a result RIM decided to try make good,by offering the free gifts.
    Now if it was never their intent to uphold their,the agreement, they should not have made initially.
    izzachar the reason you cant find it because is due to the fact that RIM appears to have changed their words.Do a search on crackberry,and you will see the original post,that's why I posted the original from RIM,then the link to the updated information.
    11-25-11 12:00 PM
    Yeah, I already bought Docs to Go. Twice. Once on BlackBerry way back when. Then again on Android. However, neither of those transfer over.

As well, it is free on OS7 so it should be free for the rest of us.

I use the work around anyway but it is just the point of having to rebuy multiple times. It is cheaper on Android too with more functions.

Bahamaboy99 likes this.
    11-25-11 12:07 PM
    T
    izzachar the reason you cant find it because is due to the fact that RIM appears to have changed their words.Do a search on crackberry,and you will see the original post,that's why I posted the original from RIM,then the link to the updated information.
    I was no talking about the announcement here, I was referring to the announcement reported at other sources on the net. None of them include Documents2Go as one of the free apps.

Now in my opinion if Rim listed it in it's own official release or posting, even if it turns out it was a mistake then Rim should make good on what they said and make it available.
    11-25-11 12:30 PM
    @@BahamaChild,
    What RIM owes you is the money for 3 days of service.
    Take whatever you pay for the plan, divide it by 30 and then multiply by 3. That's what RIM owes you.
    A little over $2. You are getting $100 gifts. Say thank you and move on with your life.

11-25-11 12:42 PM
    If it's free for OS7 devices, what do they have to lose?

Last edited by stewie6666; 11-25-11 at 12:49 PM.
    11-25-11 12:47 PM
    That's what I'm wondering .
    If you google free docs to go premium, you'll find an activation code. Fyi.
    11-25-11 01:03 PM
    @@BahamaChild,
    What RIM owes you is the money for 3 days of service.
    Take whatever you pay for the plan, divide it by 30 and then multiply by 3. That's what RIM owes you.
    A little over $2. You are getting $100 gifts. Say thank you and move on with your life.

You are calculating that the entire plan charge is $20 a month, but in reality, it is like $5 a month for BIS. so in reality, it is like $0.50
    blemoon42 and Altarocks like this.
    11-25-11 01:49 PM
    You are calculating that the entire plan charge is $20 a month, but in reality, it is like $5 a month for BIS. so in reality, it is like $0.50
    True. I calculated as per my bill plan in India. Blackberry Prosumer with free internet on device and 2GB tether is roughly $18.
    And I still don't hold it against RIM. They gave me 5 yrs of stellar service, I can give them an allowance of three days in 1825 days.

11-25-11 02:06 PM
    Again sam_b77 your missing the point!
    11-25-11 03:34 PM
    Again sam_b77 your missing the point!
    No dude, you are missing the point. RIM gave these free software as a goodwill gesture.
    The gesture itself was more than what was needed. The "gifts" are just that "gifts". And one does not question gifts.
    As for their legal responsibility, they only owe us the money for three days of outage. Nothing more.

Also you as a customer have no direct relationship with RIM. RIM is the backend for your carrier. Your carrier should have given you the discount and taken the matter up with RIM at their level. I have not made a single checque out to RIM, it goes to my carrier.

Despite this RIM chose to interact with me directly and provided me with some free apps. Some of them are usefull to me and some are not. I take what I want and leave the rest. And I appreciate RIMs gesture.
    At the end of the day its the gesture that counts. $100 is a small amount for me. Its not even an evening out with my friends. And its not about the money, its the gesture. And RIM scores big on the gesture front.
    Please provide me with a similar example from any other company.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 11-25-11 at 04:38 PM.
    Branta likes this.
    11-25-11 04:21 PM
    Also you as a customer have no direct relationship with RIM. RIM is the backend for your carrier. Your carrier should have given you the discount and taken the matter up with RIM at their level. I have not made a single checque out to RIM, it goes to my carrier.
    True you do not pay Rim Directly but you carrier pays Rim for BIS and charges you for it as part of their data plan.

The outage was not any carriers fault it was Rims. They alone maintain BIS not the carriers. That said I was not bothered by the outage and think many are making more of it than is warranted. Things fail from time to time that is simply life.

As to the issue of Docs2Go, if Rim said they would make it available for free to Customers as part of their gesture for the inconvenience of the outage then Rim should honor it's word and make it available. If they don't then they lied to their customers and there is no excuse for that.

I may not be obligated to do anything for you, but if I say I will then don't wouldn't you consider me a liar?

* and let me add I think it is a bit premature to be upset about the situation. I'll wait for something official from Rim rather than the absence of something from their website. When I tried to go to the link posted it said the page had either been moved or no longer existed.
    Last edited by izzachar; 11-25-11 at 05:17 PM.
    11-25-11 05:12 PM
    But when did RIM say that DocsToGo will be given free.
    I might be wrong, but did they promise this?
    11-25-11 05:25 PM
    But when did RIM say that DocsToGo will be given free.
    I might be wrong, but did they promise this?
    That is indeed the crucial question, I do not recall it being in the initial statement from Rim and was pleasantly surprised when I found it in lists later. That is why I looked on the net. None of the news reports on the gifts had Docs2go listed but several of them did say there would be more than the 12 they had posted.
    11-25-11 05:29 PM
    As a good will gesture?No, to make up for their short coming!!!!!!!!!!
    Second the reason I posted the link,was so you see where they said they would originally.
    11-25-11 07:54 PM
    Research In Motion Offers Free Premium Apps to Customers Following Service Interruptions

It looks like somebody did an edit to include docs to go....

October 17, 2011

Waterloo, ON - Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) announced today that a selection of premium apps worth a total value of more than US $100 will be offered free of charge to subscribers as an expression of appreciation for their patience during the recent service disruptions. The apps will be made available to customers over the coming weeks on BlackBerry App World and will continue to be available until December 31, 2011.*

Our global network supports the communications needs of more than 70 million customers, said RIM Co-CEO Mike Lazaridis. We truly appreciate and value our relationship with our customers. Weve worked hard to earn their trust over the past 12 years, and were committed to providing the high standard of reliability they expect, today and in the future.

The complete selection of premium apps will become available to download at BlackBerry App World over a period of four weeks beginning Wednesday, October 19th. The selections over this period will include the following (with more to come):

SIMS 3 - Electronic Arts
    Bejeweled - Electronic Arts
    N.O.V.A. - Gameloft
    Texas Holdem Poker 2 - Gameloft
    Bubble Bash 2 - Gameloft
    Photo Editor Ultimate - Ice Cold Apps
    DriveSafe.ly Pro - iSpeech.org
    iSpeech Translator Pro - iSpeech.org
    Drive Safe.ly Enterprise - iSpeech.org
    Nobex Radio Premium - Nobex
    Shazam Encore - Shazam
    Vlingo Plus: Virtual Assistant - Vlingo

RIMs enterprise customers will also be offered one month of free Technical Support. Current customers will be offered a complimentary one month extension of their existing Technical Support contract, and customers who do not currently have a Technical Support contract will be offered a one month trial of RIMs BlackBerry Technical Support Services - Enhanced Support, free of charge. Additional details about the program and information about how to register will be available at Enterprise Offer.

We are grateful to our loyal BlackBerry customers for their patience, added Lazaridis. We have apologized to our customers and we will work tirelessly to restore their confidence. We are taking immediate and aggressive steps to help prevent something like this from happening again.

Note to Editors:
    Last week, many customers experienced service interruptions and delays over a period of approximately 3 days in Europe, the Middle East, India and Africa, 1.5 days in Latin America and Canada, and 1 day in the United States. Global teams worked around the clock to contain the issue and minimize the impact to customers as much as possible. As of Thursday, October 13, service levels returned to normal.

* Please note that the availability of this offer will depend on the type of device, operating system version, access to BlackBerry App World and local conditions and/or restrictions.

About Research In Motion
    Research In Motion (RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation, revolutionized the mobile industry with the introduction of the BlackBerry solution in 1999. Today, BlackBerry products and services are used by millions of customers around the world to stay connected to the people and content that matter most throughout their day. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and Latin America. RIM is listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit RIM Company - Learn about Research In Motion or Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com.

Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the U.S. Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and applicable Canadian securities laws. When used herein, words such as "expect", "anticipate", "estimate", "may", "will", "should", "intend," "believe", and similar expressions, are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on estimates and assumptions made by RIM in light of its experience and its perception of historical trends, current conditions and expected future developments, as well as other factors that RIM believes are appropriate in the circumstances. Many factors could cause RIM's actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements, including those described in the "Risk Factors" section of RIM's Annual Information Form, which is included in its Annual Report on Form 40-F (copies of which filings may be obtained at Welcome to the SEDAR Web Site / Bienvenue au Site Web SEDAR or U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (Home Page)). These factors should be considered carefully, and readers should not place undue reliance on RIM's forward-looking statements. RIM has no intention and undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.

The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no obligations or liability and makes no representation, warranty, endorsement or guarantee in relation to any aspect of any third party products or services.
    11-25-11 09:18 PM
    Oh ffs i have a licence code for dtg 2.0+ if anyone wants it pm me!!!!
    raino likes this.
    08-30-12 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD