I went to a friend's party on the weekend and noticed the *almost everyone, (me included) pulled up their blackberries and iPhone for the tip calculator.
    Now I know you could easily do it with the regular pre-installed calculator, seems like its just easier with the tip calculator. (my thoughts).

So, how many of you use a tip calculator and which one?

I have this for $2.99 - Tip Calculator - Looks Great! - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store At $3, I can't complain.
    03-29-10 11:57 AM
    I use QuickTips. Not as pretty or fancy, but it's free.
    I just hate having to always go in there and changing the Number of Patrons (because it always default to 2). I hope they change that in their next release.
    03-29-10 12:26 PM
    I use QuickTips. Not as pretty or fancy, but it's free.
    I just hate having to always go in there and changing the Number of Patrons (because it always default to 2). I hope they change that in their next release.
    I had quikctips before too. I deleted it, because of that. But anything free i think is good enough, imo.
    03-29-10 12:35 PM
    I think it's much more difficult go in an app and punch in numbers than just do the math. It's a lot faster to just move the decimal point forward one, double it, then pay below or above that depending on service. I never got the point of using an app for this. Apps are supposed to make things easier and/or faster for you, a tip app doesn't do either of these for me.
    03-29-10 12:40 PM
    Depending on where you live, multiplying the sales tax times 2 should be roughly 15%.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-10 12:56 PM
    Personally, I don't find it too mentally challenging to calculate a 15% or 20% tip off of the total sales price, so why bother with a "tip calculator?" Much faster for me to simply glance at the bill and do the math. Oh, and for those who may be a bit more mathematically challenged, omg's point about "multiplying the sales tax times 2" is a good rough estimate as well, assuming you can multiply a number by 2
    03-29-10 12:59 PM
    Personally, I don't find it too mentally challenging to calculate a 15% or 20% tip off of the total sales price, so why bother with a "tip calculator?" Much faster for me to simply glance at the bill and do the math. Oh, and for those who may be a bit more mathematically challenged, omg's point about "multiplying the sales tax times 2" is a good rough estimate as well, assuming you can multiply a number by 2
    +1

Exactly. It would take longer to pull out the BB, bring up the app, and type everything in than it would to just do it in your head.
    03-29-10 01:10 PM
    I use, umm, math? It's free. Really. Round the bill up to the nearest dollar, move the decimal (the dot thingy) one place to the left, that's ~10%. Double (or more) it if you got good service, adjust accordingly for poor service.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 03-29-10 at 01:36 PM.
    03-29-10 01:25 PM
    LOL...that's certainly workable and many might do that, but the second you used the phrase "move the decimal one place to the left" you lost half the audience

I use, umm, math? It's free. Really. Round the bill up to the nearest dollar, move the decimal one place to the left, that's ~10%. Double (or more) it if you got good service, adjust accordingly for poor service.
    03-29-10 01:28 PM
    LOL...that's certainly workable and many might do that, but the second you used the phrase "move the decimal one place to the left" you lost half the audience
    Fair enough. Fixed. They need to make a strike-through BB Code on CB.

*toddles off to mail a mod.*
    03-29-10 01:38 PM
    I use, umm, math? It's free. Really. Round the bill up to the nearest dollar, move the decimal (the dot thingy) one place to the left, that's ~10%. Double (or more) it if you got good service, adjust accordingly for poor service.
    +1 -- this is exactly how I do it as well! even though I am horrible at math, I can do it this way very efficiently.
    03-29-10 02:35 PM
    I waited tables for years and can calculate 20% in my sleep.
    03-29-10 02:39 PM
    I went to a friend's party on the weekend and noticed the *almost everyone, (me included) pulled up their blackberries and iPhone for the tip calculator.
    Now I know you could easily do it with the regular pre-installed calculator, seems like its just easier with the tip calculator. (my thoughts).

So, how many of you use a tip calculator and which one?

I have this for $2.99 - Tip Calculator - Looks Great! - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store At $3, I can't complain.
    Here in Florida, i just double the tax on the bill. Five people or more, and most restaurants add in 18% to the bill, in which case i don't add an additional tip.
    03-29-10 02:42 PM
    Glad you brought that up, it's a personal, pet peeve of mine. Many people don't know this, but the word "tip" is an acronym. TIP = To Insure Promptness. How dare a business automatically assume that the service I and my party receive, is worthy not only of a minimal tip (15%), but even a bump more!!! Especially when, in some unfortunate circumstances, the service did not even merit the MINIMAL TIP!

Ok, I feel better now, thank you

Here in Florida, i just double the tax on the bill. Five people or more, and most restaurants add in 18% to the bill, in which case i don't add an additional tip.
    03-29-10 02:48 PM
    Math was my forte in younger days. Calculating a tip is almost without a thought. No need for electronic support for that one.
    03-29-10 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD