I've seen a lot of people talking about how to setup gmail on their Curve, and talking about how to fix the problems w/ sending an email from your PC and it also copies you the same message on your phone.

Why go through all that trouble when you can just download the Gmail App and have more flexibility than the built in mail function?

I'm new to the Curve, so I may be missing something here - but I -love- the Gmail App.
    01-26-09 08:25 PM
    I haven't used the Gmail app lately. Does it have push e-mail as well?
    If not, then that is my reason for using the mail app. I have it configured with imap so it's nice to see my read e-mails as read on my PC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 08:36 PM
    I use the push function because it is simple. If I wanted to have an app for everything I would use winmo. Not trying to be short, but the push mail is why I got the berry in the first place! :-)

01-26-09 08:45 PM
    I've seen a lot of people talking about how to setup gmail on their Curve, and talking about how to fix the problems w/ sending an email from your PC and it also copies you the same message on your phone.

Why go through all that trouble when you can just download the Gmail App and have more flexibility than the built in mail function?

I'm new to the Curve, so I may be missing something here - but I -love- the Gmail App.
    Welcome to crackberry!
    01-26-09 08:49 PM
    To avoid getting duplicate emails ( I use gmail) do you have to log onto your carried website and THEN your pc and change the configurations there as well?
    01-26-09 09:04 PM
    gmail app was slow with me
    01-26-09 09:05 PM
    The gmail app is nice and quick for me, and it downloads new mail every 20 minutes. That's the hardcoded setting on the app which is currently not changeable. Every 20 minutes is fine for me, if it's something important I'll get a phone call or a text.

Thanks for the welcome mwdb4au !

This is a great site.
    01-26-09 09:10 PM
    I use both.... The push email is great for quick text based emails for me soo its convenient. It is not good for images so when I'm viewing a image based email, I like to use the gmail app. You could go with just the gmail app, its totally fine; however, you will have to keep the gmail app running at all times so it will alert you when you get a new email.

I like to save battery so I only run the gmail app when I need to. If you aren't a heavy user then you prob can live with the gmail app.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
    01-26-09 09:14 PM
    I use the gmail app everyday on my 8310mainly because gmail is my main email account, and I am very pleased with it. It looks great, utilizes push email, and I can read/reply to emails easily wherever I am. It is my favorite of the available google apps for sure.
    01-26-09 09:34 PM
    if it updated more often i would love it
    01-26-09 09:45 PM
    I use the push function because it is simple. If I wanted to have an app for everything I would use winmo. Not trying to be short, but the push mail is why I got the berry in the first place! :-)

I agree and I use the built-in mail program

01-26-09 09:45 PM
    I use the push service and love it! Wouldn't think of switching!
    01-26-09 09:46 PM
    I use the push service and love it! Wouldn't think of switching!
    Whats push email?
    01-26-09 10:11 PM
    gmail app was slow with me
    Same here, I tested the gmail app, VERY SLOW, The types of emails I get are time sensitive and push is almost instant.

Whats push email?
    Your mail, pushed to your phone. Its how you get your email if you're not using a third party app on your BB.
    01-26-09 10:14 PM
    Same here, I tested the gmail app, VERY SLOW, The types of emails I get are time sensitive and push is almost instant.

Your mail, pushed to your phone. Its how you get your email if you're not using a third party app on your BB.
    I have gmail and when I get the phone, I will get the gmail app.. Is that a good choice or not?
    01-26-09 10:33 PM
    My Gmail account does not push to my phone. All I have ever
    considered Gmail good for is a spamcatcher. It is the address
    I use whenever a website needs one. That was the only reason
    I set it up in the first place.
    01-26-09 10:43 PM
    weird AG! I LLOOVVVEEEE my gmail acc't. It makes me feel so...progressive and trendy!
    01-26-09 10:45 PM
    weird AG! I LLOOVVVEEEE my gmail acc't. It makes me feel so...progressive and trendy!
    I am so past trendy it ain't even funny. Old guys ya know
    01-26-09 10:46 PM
    I have gmail and when I get the phone, I will get the gmail app.. Is that a good choice or not?
    If you want your Gmail fast (almost instant) then you'll want to use the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) which is the built-in mail/messages program on your BlackBerry.

If you can wait for the Gmail app to check for email every 20 minutes, then it will probably be alright for you.

I use the built-in BIS/Messages way to get and send email (Gmail) from my BB since its integrated into various areas of the device, i.e. Send Picture to Email, etc.
    01-26-09 11:09 PM

You get the email faster if you use the built in BIS. Personally I use both. I read the new mail in the bb inbox itself but if I need access to an older mail or the formatting isn't what it should be I fire up the gMail app.
    01-26-09 11:24 PM
    You get the email faster if you use the built in BIS. Personally I use both. I read the new mail in the bb inbox itself but if I need access to an older mail or the formatting isn't what it should be I fire up the gMail app.
    What is the built in BIS?
    01-27-09 06:39 AM
    I use the built in mail app, but if it can't format an email correctly, I have the gmail app installed as a backup. The Gmail app is very easy to use and works well, but I like to get things instantly.
    01-27-09 06:59 AM
    Gmail push service for me...

01-27-09 07:02 AM
    I use gmail app as well.. Great app.. It would be nice if I could see attachments..oh darn...

01-27-09 07:24 AM
    I've gone back and forth a few times, but eventually settled on the GMail app. My emails aren't particularly time-sensitive so I can wait. Plus I like the functionality of the app (ability to archive, search archived messages, etc.)

I do hope google get on the ball and allow HTML view and attachments - but I guess you can't have everything (sigh)
    01-27-09 07:57 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD