Defensive off the bat, a good sign..
    I am in no way being defensive. I just want someone, anyone to explain the
    architecture of RIMs security as applied to mobile devices. Defensive is the
    people who can't and get upset by the mere question.
    05-20-10 08:10 PM
    I'm not making a point on security. I'm making a basic point on the problems with applications (and even moreso complex application installs) on removeable/mounted devices.

There's just a lot of user-end simple crap that can go wrong, like users thinking nothing is being utilized on the card so it's safe to remove, but it's not (or auto startup mount issues with auto-running applications installed to sd card). I know at least 3 major OSes have had problems with Mass Storage Mode not always entering/exiting properly (BB, WM, Symbian, I wouldn't be surprised if it was all mobile OSes)...

When you start putting stuff like that in general users hands people will screw something up.

Another issue is backup data. Users are going to assume app data is safe and portable because they didn't wipe the card. Problem is, not all app installs (nor the data they write or read) is designed to be that portable...
    Last edited by papped; 05-20-10 at 09:05 PM.
    05-20-10 08:59 PM
    I'm not making a point on security. I'm making a basic point on the problems with applications (and even moreso complex application installs) on removeable/mounted devices.

There's just a lot of user-end simple crap that can go wrong, like users thinking nothing is being utilized on the card so it's safe to remove, but it's not (or auto startup mount issues with auto-running applications installed to sd card). I know at least 3 major OSes have had problems with Mass Storage Mode not always entering/exiting properly (BB, WM, Symbian, I wouldn't be surprised if it was all mobile OSes)...

When you start putting stuff like that in general users hands people will screw something up.

Another issue is backup data. Users are going to assume app data is safe and portable because they didn't wipe the card. Problem is, not all app installs (nor the data they write or read) is designed to be that portable...
    Again, what the h3ll does this have to do with proving BlackBerry is more
    secure than other platforms.

People keep tossing out this ridiculous tripe with nothing to back it up.
    Your example would apply to EVERY platform, including BlackBerry.
    05-20-10 11:25 PM
    Again, what the h3ll does this have to do with proving BlackBerry is more
    secure than other platforms.

People keep tossing out this ridiculous tripe with nothing to back it up.
    Your example would apply to EVERY platform, including BlackBerry.
    They're only saying it's more secure because they don't understand what they even mean by "security". To most people it means the device itself as it is accessed and used by them personally.

They don't even know about BES and its implications in the corporate security context. Security not only for the user but from the user as the company decides. That point I think we can say RIM is superior to anyone.
    05-20-10 11:56 PM
    Could have sworn this thread was about putting apps on the sd card.

Could have sworn all of my responses were regarding that exactly.

But this is going absolutely nowhere... Adios

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 01:15 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD