Do you think that OS 6 will let the consumer install and run apps from their memory card? I know it may sound a little impractical now, but there are algorithms that can make transfer of information from memory cards to devices extrememly fast. If this were to be done, I would still think some of the apps "cache" would still be installed into the device memory. Any thoughts on this?
    05-19-10 12:33 PM
    Probably not, the devices that will be able to run BlackBerry 6 don't have low memory issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-10 12:39 PM
    I think it's a matter of security to not allow apps to run off the cards.
    05-19-10 12:59 PM
    No. WillieLee is correct.
    05-19-10 01:01 PM
    No

05-19-10 01:02 PM
    It would be nice if they did. But I'm sure it will never happen no matter what the OS is
    05-19-10 01:04 PM
    Not going to happen (which annoys me to no end)
    05-19-10 01:08 PM
    Very little real chance this will ever happen. There are two huge constraints - security, and software stability risks with removable media which may be removed during execution. You see the same considerations on PC software - what proportion of available third party applications (executables) can be installed to and run from removable media?
    05-19-10 02:47 PM
    Wont happen on a bb, but if it's important to you, there are other phones that do it. Shop around.
    05-19-10 03:41 PM
    Nope, not gonna happen, no way. Irritating, but it's something we have to live with if youre gonna stay with a blackberry.
    05-19-10 04:03 PM
    That wod be amazing... But yeah, not gonna happen. Boo

05-19-10 05:45 PM
    One of the few things I wish BB's would do...but I only have 20 apps, 1o themes in 4 months and plenty of space left...so...not a huge app guy to begin with...have pretty much anything I need.

05-19-10 05:51 PM
    Very little real chance this will ever happen. There are two huge constraints - security, and software stability risks with removable media which may be removed during execution. You see the same considerations on PC software - what proportion of available third party applications (executables) can be installed to and run from removable media?
    The security part I understand, but the stability issue I don't buy. When I used winmo phones, I could run apps off the memory card and they ran very smoothly, never had any issues with stability.
    05-20-10 10:50 AM
    The security part I understand, but the stability issue I don't buy. When I used winmo phones, I could run apps off the memory card and they ran very smoothly, never had any issues with stability.

Same here. I used an Audiovox Maestro running Pocket PC and it did this
    seamlessly. As to the security issue I think that is mostly BS. Yes the card
    can be infected but the actual device is a whole different issue.

I don't see this as a security or performance issue. I see it as RIMs internal
    engineers being too lazy to think outside of the box.
    05-20-10 11:27 AM
    A rooted Android device can run apps off the memory card. I've been doing my own
    research on Android lately because I'm getting close to jumping ship, I haven't
    read about any problems people have had running apps off their memory cards.

It's laziness. That's what I come to expect from RISM (Research In Slow Motion). I'm gonna
    milk that one forever
    05-20-10 12:16 PM
    F29 you haven't heard about it because it is a non issue. Almost every
    other platform does this without any deleterious effects.

RIM can tout their vaunted security until the end of days but truth be told,
    BlackBerrys are no more secure than any other platform. I defy anyone to
    prove this statement wrong.

The vast majority of people who laud the security of the BlackBerry are merely
    parroting what they have heard here and on other forums. I guess that proves
    RIM does one thing right - MARKETING.
    05-20-10 12:46 PM
    RIM can tout their vaunted security until the end of days but truth be told,
    BlackBerrys are no more secure than any other platform. I defy anyone to
    prove this statement wrong.
    Wow. that's like saying that OpenBSD is as easy to hack as Windows 95.
    05-20-10 12:53 PM
    Wow. that's like saying that OpenBSD is as easy to hack as Windows 95.
    ...and still you have proven nothing fallacious about my assertion.
    05-20-10 01:28 PM
    ...and still you have proven nothing fallacious about my assertion.
    I did. I used that as an example that there can be a wide degree between the difficulty of hacking each platform, and Blackberry is definitely more difficult to hack then say Windows Mobile 5 or older versions of Symbian.
    05-20-10 04:19 PM
    I did. I used that as an example that there can be a wide degree between the difficulty of hacking each platform, and Blackberry is definitely more difficult to hack then say Windows Mobile 5 or older versions of Symbian.
    ...and this is the problem. You really have not stated or explained the underlying
    bulletproof, overhyped BlackBerry security. ALL you have done is repeat the
    same junk everyone else does with nothing to back it up.

And for the sake of this conversation let's keep it to CURRENT mobile OSs.
    05-20-10 05:50 PM
    WM had a few problems (negative side effects) that arose from running apps off the microsd.
    05-20-10 06:02 PM
    WM had a few problems (negative side effects) that arose from running apps off the microsd.
    Which were WHAT??
    05-20-10 06:05 PM
    Defensive off the bat, a good sign...

Well that pretty much gives me a cue to stay out of this.

Take the simplest, stupidest example where you have some background utility app running, installed to the sd card and the files are no longer accessible due to mounting problems (such as MSM not allowing the system access to the drive).

WM had an issue where you ended up with 2 copies of the entire "Storage Card" tree on the same card (both containing system-used files) because something was requiring access to the files and the directory was not available at the time, so the OS created another one. Problem is, merging them back wasn't that simple because both were still being used by different system applications and both had different names.

But anyways, continue the tirade...
    05-20-10 07:19 PM
    It will be great if we can install on the card. it will save the system memory. and it will make the device more stable and less hang/ Crash.

It is very important for RIM to make and test OS 6 more stable/ less hang. as many people facing this problems. and hate it. they need to pull the battery or use application to do it. and it wasting time and battery.

For next version. I hope RIM can consider adding more internal memory: minimum 1 GB, so we will have stable and fast BB.
    Now memory price is very cheap, why not giving user stable BB ?
    05-20-10 07:44 PM
    I can see two problems with having apps on the memory card. The first is the difficulty of having their OS run something from a removable piece of media. It just makes it more tricky to control what's going on.

Second problem could quite possibly be hardware architecture. They may have implemented the transfers to and from the media card using a very slow bus architecture. It's quite possible performance would be impacted on applications running from the memory card, especially more than one at a time. That's a lot of reading unless big parts of the application were buffered in RAM. But then what's the point of having it on the media card?
    05-20-10 08:01 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD