I'm a new BB user coming over from WinMo (what a difference!) and have always loved the Bing program that came standard.

I downloaded Poynt today thinking it would be the same (feature wise) and IMO, boy was I wrong! The local searches were way off and had businesses that stopped existing in 2003!

Bing on the other hand has a much clunkier interface (which is a shame because WinMo's was beautiful) but has spot on local search, it even got my exact address, not even my car's GPS can do that!

I was just wondering what you guys preferred and if you have any tips for making the experience of either program better.
    03-08-10 07:25 PM
    There's quite a few apps really. But I wouldn't rely on bing for local search due to the UI... Mostly juts for maps.

You can try google maps and Where also. There are more as well.
    03-08-10 07:29 PM
    I like poynt but thats a bias opinion because ive never used bing.
    03-08-10 09:50 PM
    I like poynt but thats a bias opinion because ive never used bing.
    Same here. Never even thought to use Bing- I guess it comes from hating the search engine. Pyont works well for me.
    03-08-10 10:35 PM
    Poynt has always worked well for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-10 10:42 PM
    I like bing. The maps load up fast and all of my local searches have been accurate. I don't mind poynt, I just don't use it to keep my memory free.

03-08-10 11:04 PM
    I have noticed Poynt results to be erroneous. Case in point, the contact information for my own business lists an old (5 yrs) fax number as the primary business number. Multiple business names for the same entitty and a number of poor returns has led me to Bing.

03-08-10 11:17 PM
    Thanks to all of you, and that was the biggest disappointment to me with Poynt, the un-updated information. I live in an area that has undergone a rapid change in the past 5 years and I still see listings for businesses that have been TORN DOWN and replaced with something completely different that has no listing. Bing on the other hand is great with the local searches.
    03-09-10 07:57 PM
    Poynt

03-10-10 12:17 AM
    also never tried bing.not even sure if it is compatible with bb. on the other hand, poynt suites my needs.
    03-10-10 01:42 AM
    i use bing and bing-411 more than poynt. Speech search, driving directions, movies, etc all on bing and bing-411 is just easier to use when driving i like it better than google's 411 service.
    03-10-10 03:17 AM
    Poynt!!!!!!!
    03-10-10 05:35 AM
    I'm somewhat of newb........but

So far I like the "Local Search" available in Blackberry Maps best (have not tried bing). However, since I installed Poynt........the Local Search inside of Blackberry Maps is disabled and I have to use Poynt....which was added to and shows up in the Blackberry Map menu (basically.........it Poynt appears to integrate itself into the Blackberry Map app).

I have not been impressed with the Local Search inside of Poynt. It does have some nice features.........but......some of the results appear dated. I do like the way that it interfaces with Blackberry Maps. You can locate something in Poynt and click to creat a route inside on Blackberry Maps.

I think I want to give the Bing tool a try just to see how it works. I appear to be one of the few that likes the Bing search engine and avoid google like the plague.
    Last edited by duckduke; 03-21-10 at 08:28 PM.
    03-21-10 08:09 PM
    Poynt all the way!
    03-21-10 08:21 PM
    Poynt, The UI is very nice since the latest update.
    03-21-10 08:23 PM
    Bing. No question about it.
    Much more accurate for me, nicer interface and Poynt just annoys me to no end.
    03-21-10 08:42 PM
    Looks like people are split 50/50. I have found Poynt to be very reliable but I have not used Bing to have a true comparison.
    03-21-10 10:27 PM
    I've only used poynt but seeing all the positive responses about bing, I may give that a try. Sometimes poynt has old addresses and phone numbers for businesses that closed down years ago.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-21-10 10:31 PM
    +1 for poynt. it's always been one of my most used apps. quick & accurate. can't ask for more, IMO

i use bing and bing-411 more than poynt. Speech search, driving directions, movies, etc all on bing and bing-411 is just easier to use when driving i like it better than google's 411 service.
    interesting. i didn't even know/think of bing having their free 411 service like google. i'll have to give that a try, but i imagine it'll be hard to replace my goog411 speed dial key..
    03-22-10 11:17 AM
    Poynt! I've tried Bing a few times and didn't care for it. I don't think Microsoft will ever make an app for another phone OS other than WinMo that really works well.
    03-22-10 01:13 PM
    Bing is garbage... Poynt never disappoints... no pun intended...lol
    03-22-10 01:17 PM
    The problem with Poynt is that it is basically just a nice UI... That makes it nice looking, but not very useful unless you know the results you are looking at are valid ahead of time...
    03-22-10 01:23 PM
    I have both Bing and Poynt..I used Bing before but Poynt will always be my number 1. I use it for everything and the interface is incredible!
    03-22-10 02:47 PM
    Bing. Use Poynt every once in a blue moon, but just prefer Bing.
    03-22-10 05:47 PM
    I've used both, if you're Canadian and using only Wifi for connectivity, then Poynt works best, but unfortunately the mapping doesn't work in wifi mode for Poynt, it keeps wanting to use Blackberry Maps or Google Maps both which requires data plan. however, Bing's mapping does work in wifi mode and works very well, but Bing needs more configurable features, ie. no Metric option and for some reason, it will default to New York city for map and weather, can't find a place to change this.
    03-22-10 07:06 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD