Do any of you keep your GPS location on or with Berry weather? With Berry weather the only way the weather can follow me by location is if I keep the GPS location as cell location for Berry weather does not work with CDMA.

So Im wondering as to any security risk or battery issues with leaving my GPS services location on?
    03-27-10 06:16 PM
    I personally leave it off until I really need an accurate report.
    03-27-10 06:20 PM
    I leave it on. Seems not to affect battery life that much.
    03-27-10 06:23 PM
    I just use zip code feature which downloads via data. if you travel outside of your normal location, then the GPS function is better.
    03-27-10 06:24 PM
    I leave my GPS on all the time. I'm not worried about Google knowing where I am.
    03-27-10 07:02 PM
    On all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 07:13 PM
    I'm using a VZ Storm2 (9550).

Can I turn on the GPS sevice without incurring a charge from VZ.

I say this because I know VZ charges $10/mo for their Nav service.

TIA
    03-27-10 07:25 PM
    mine on

10 char
    03-27-10 07:29 PM
    I'm using a VZ Storm2 (9550).

Can I turn on the GPS sevice without incurring a charge from VZ.

I say this because I know VZ charges $10/mo for their Nav service.

TIA
    Yes. GPS can be used without having/paying for VZ Navigator.
    03-27-10 07:31 PM
    turning GPS will not drain your battery

turning GPS will not cause VZW to charge you
    03-27-10 07:33 PM
    Tks to all for replies.

Good Luck
    03-27-10 08:09 PM
    Always on.
    03-28-10 12:03 AM
    Really! on all the time! I'm going to try. I would think it would drain the battery having to connect to the satellite and sending signals back and forth.
    This is good news...
    03-28-10 12:53 AM
    The GPS in your phone only receives signals from the satellites; it does not transmit any data back or send any signals.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-10 01:02 AM
    GPS will not be "on" unless its being used. If you arent using an app that requires its use then it wont be using any resources really
    03-28-10 01:05 AM
    I leave it on. If I use an app that needs it, Then I allow the gps permissions. Some apps do use your gps location to update throughout the day.
    03-28-10 01:13 AM
    Thanks, turning it on right now.

Don’t laugh at me, but in the beginning I would turn the data service on and off when I needed to use it. I was so worried about having a terrible battery life. Finally got over that. LOL Now with your help, my gps will stay on. I know I know I'm stupid. LOL
    03-28-10 01:19 AM
    I leave mine on i drive truck and my location is changing constantly and so is the weather
    03-28-10 02:19 AM
    Always on and don't care if it is working constantly or working some times or what it's doing. But I just let it do its thang. Have done that with the S1 and S2
    03-28-10 02:31 AM
    Ok I have one more question about GPS.

If I have the GPS enabled and I use the "Start GPS Navigation" feature of the Maps app that was on my Storm2 when I bought it (the one that has a Compass as an icon, I assume it's a Blackberry Maps app), will I incur a charge?

TIA
    03-28-10 04:04 PM
    GPS Location ON does not drain the battery significantly. If you prefer to have your BerryWeather set to GPS, and it updates once an hour, that's the only time it's utilizing your GPS service, so again, insignificant.

That being said, unless you're on an island where the weather can do a 180 simply by crossing from one side to the other, or you live in perhaps, mountainous state where there are significant weather extremes, why not simply use the Zip Code feature?
    03-28-10 04:11 PM
    Ok I have one more question about GPS.

If I have the GPS enabled and I use the "Start GPS Navigation" feature of the Maps app that was on my Storm2 when I bought it (the one that has a Compass as an icon, I assume it's a Blackberry Maps app), will I incur a charge?

TIA
    BBMaps is a free app, and there is no charge for the GPS use. If you are on an unlimited data plan, then there is no charge. If you are not on an unlimited data plan, you could get charged for data, if you used BBMaps enough. BBMaps and Google Maps both download maps in real time as you need them. They don't come with base maps, or store maps on your device beyond the session in which they are used, so using them can be data intensive, thought not as intensive as streaming music 24x7.
    03-28-10 04:25 PM
    BBMaps is a free app, and there is no charge for the GPS use. If you are on an unlimited data plan, then there is no charge. If you are not on an unlimited data plan, you could get charged for data, if you used BBMaps enough. BBMaps and Google Maps both download maps in real time as you need them. They don't come with base maps, or store maps on your device beyond the session in which they are used, so using them can be data intensive, thought not as intensive as streaming music 24x7.
    Tks for the explanation Jeff.

Good Luck
    03-28-10 05:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD