Does RIM use push notifications for its IM apps?

I have been saying that RIM needs to do push notifications for its IM apps (aim, y!, gtalk, msn), but I am starting to think that they already do this. Recently I decided to keep my MSN and gtalk accounts always signed in, and it seems like this has had no effect on my battery life at all. I would like to know if these apps use push notifications or not.
    07-07-09 04:23 PM
    I know that the Facebook app does.
    07-07-09 04:26 PM
    Push notifications as in what?
    From what I know, I get notified if a contact sent me a message, or I can choose who I'd like to be alerted of when they're online.
    In the form of email notifications based on the service, I.e., hotmail for msn, gmail for gtalk, etc, notifications of that nature are not pushed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 04:43 PM
    Push notifications as in what?
    From what I know, I get notified if a contact sent me a message, or I can choose who I'd like to be alerted of when they're online.
    In the form of email notifications based on the service, I.e., hotmail for msn, gmail for gtalk, etc, notifications of that nature are not pushed.

I am more interested in the technical details of how the IM apps work. We know blackberry email works via push technology. The BB does not poll, new emails are pushed to the device. I would like to know if the IM apps work the same way. For example, an IM app would work via push if all they do is tell the BB server to log them in and from then on the server pushes any new messages to them. The alternative would be polling the server to see if there are new messages, or keeping a connection open to the server (which is what your desktop IM client does). Polling would use excessive battery life and keeping a connection open may not work well in the context of a mobile phone.
    07-07-09 05:19 PM
    I know that the Facebook app does.
    Do you know if the facebook app get's actual push notifications from RIM/facebook or if it just intercepts the normal emails that facebook sends you? It is push either way, but I always though it worked via email.
    07-07-09 05:20 PM
    The only one I know that does is IM+ I do not believe the native apps use push.
    07-07-09 05:22 PM
    Do you know if the facebook app get's actual push notifications from RIM/facebook or if it just intercepts the normal emails that facebook sends you? It is push either way, but I always though it worked via email.
    it uses the email notifications to trigger the app notifications. you need to have email notifications turned on for it to work. you will then have notifications in two spots, on your handheld via the app and in your email inbox. you can then go into the application and uncheck the box in the options that says "keep notifications in email server". this will keep the notifications forwarded to your app but will prevent you from having 400 new facebook emails when you log into your email on a computer.
    07-07-09 05:48 PM
    i am interested in this too.

So the conclusion is that BB native IM (MSN, Yahoo, Gtalk) do NOT push instant messages? How about BBM? Push?

i always thought they do, or i am wrong?

08-11-09 02:03 AM
    Yes the RIM apps use push. You can stay connected all day and use way, way less battery than any 3rd party apps
    08-11-09 02:09 AM
    BBM is instant. MSN is instant. I can't comment on the others cause I don't use them

08-11-09 05:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD