Hey all - I did the 4.5 upgrade last night and have been very happy with it.

I upgraded Docs to Go OTA without issue.

Now when I connect to DM and go into App Loader to upload another program from an .alx file, its telling me it wants to remove a bunch of docs to go modules - when I hit cancel and went back, it has Docs to go listed as "downgrade" - if I uncheck it it changes to remove...

how do i get it to leave DTG alone?

thanks!!
    Last edited by MattBerry08; 08-19-08 at 11:40 PM. Reason: updated info
    08-19-08 11:39 PM
    Maybe one of the Berryologist can explain. Did the exact same thing replaced the Docs to Go with and upgraded version via OTA - with the same DM response(to downgrade) and I let it run. It removed several modules and Docs to Go still works fine
    08-19-08 11:57 PM
    k - thats reassuring to hear... maybe just getting rid of stuff left over from the upgrade. Odddd for sure Thanks!
    08-20-08 12:06 AM
    I had the same problem, here is the answer: DocID: 14193 - How do I prevent the Blackberry Desktop Manager from downgrading my handheld software?

Question:
    How do I prevent the Blackberry Desktop Manager from downgrading my handheld software?

Answer:
    If Documents To Go has only been downloaded and installed to the BlackBerry phone, and the Desktop Manager software on your computer contains an older version, connecting and synchronizing the BlackBerry with the computer may cause the handheld to be overwritten with the older version of Documents To Go. The following steps will prevent this from happening:

Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager if it is running
    Browse to the following location on your computer:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\"device software"\

NOTE: The "device software" folder typically has the model number of the phone in its name (e.g. 8800, 8100, etc).

Inside the "device software" folder, locate the file called DocumentsToGo.alx
    Rename this file to DocumentsToGo.old
    Launch the BlackBerry Desktop Manager
    Open the Application Loader and sync your phone
    You should no longer be prompted to downgrade Documents To Go during the desktop sync.
    08-20-08 12:23 AM
    yep - thanks - saw that too late. It deleted Excel to go... now to fix...
    08-20-08 12:23 AM
    Curious -- shouldn't we simply be able to edit the ALX as follows:

- change the Version line:

TO: <version>1.002.016</version>

...and then, in the fileset section, replace the OLD version (which follows):

<files>
    WordToGo.cod
    WordToGoResource.cod
    WordToGoResource__en.cod
    SlideshowToGo.cod
    SlideshowToGoResource.cod
    SlideshowToGoResource__en.cod
    DocsToGoCommon.cod
    DocsToGoCommonResource.cod
    DocsToGoCommonResource__en.cod
    </files>

with a new version that includes the reference to SheetToGo? I'm guessing the extra lines would be:

SheetToGo.cod
    SheetToGoResource.cod
    SheetToGoResource_en.cod

So - if my idea is right, the revised section of the ALX would now be:

<files>
    WordToGo.cod
    WordToGoResource.cod
    WordToGoResource__en.cod
    SlideshowToGo.cod
    DocsToGoCommon.cod
    SheetToGo.cod
    SheetToGoResource.cod
    SheetToGoResource_en.cod
    </files>

BTW: these last three files are the ones for SheetToGo that I see in my Curve when I go into Options, Advanced Options, Applications -- and then look at the details behind DocsToGo to see what's loaded up since I did the OTA upgrade.

Seems like changing the version number to match the downloaded version, and adding the reference to the SheetToGo files that were downloaded and installed, should bring the ALX and the OTA-updated Blackberry in sync.

BTW: when I was in there, I noticed that my Curve has extra copies of the resource files loaded in various languages, including German, Spanish, French and Italian, at a cost of about 13k per file. I have to remove those files from my java directory as well before I do the next sync, and references to them from the ALX as well -- hopefully I can convince the application loader to remove them from my Blackberry!!!

- Jon

EDIT: OK, after proposing all this, I thought that *I* should be the guinea pig, so I changed my DocsToGo.alx to read as follows:

<loader version="1.0">
    <application id="com.dataviz.dxtg">
    <name>Documents To Go</name>
    <description>View and edit native Microsoft Office files and attachments</description>
    <version>1.002.016</version>
    <vendor>DataViz, Inc.</vendor>
    <copyright>Copyright (c) 2008 DataViz, Inc.</copyright>
    <fileset Java="1.33">
    <directory>Java</directory>
    <files>
    WordToGo.cod
    WordToGoResource.cod
    WordToGoResource__en.cod
    SlideshowToGo.cod
    DocsToGoCommon.cod
    SheetToGo.cod
    SheetToGoResource.cod
    SheetToGoResource_en.cod
    </files>
    </fileset>
    </application>
    </loader>

I then re-ran DesktopManager (I'm using version 4.6), and it checked for updates -- and happily returned to the home screen without suggesting that DocsToGo needed to be updated. My DocsToGo.alx now is in sync with the version loaded in my 8300 (running OS applications ver 4.5.0.69).

- Jon
    Last edited by vinmontRD; 09-01-08 at 10:48 PM. Reason: decided to be my own guinea pig :)
    09-01-08 10:21 PM
    anything i can do besides paying the 70$ for the full program?
    09-01-08 10:52 PM
    Same here. I wanted to remove the VAD from my OS4.5 device install and used DM to do it. Even though it said "downgrade" and SheetToGo was an "unrecognized module", I thought I could just download the DTG upgrade and get SheetToGo back that way.

Now I wish I'd searched for this thread first 'cause SheetToGo was removed and DataViz seems to have removed it from their OTA website (no doubt got wind of everyone "upgrading"). Since it was an OTA install and DM didn't recognize the module, there isn't a copy backed up on my PC anywhere.

Other than asking someone to post the SheetToGo.cod files, not sure what else to do other that wait for the official 4.5 release (which will hopefully contain SheetToGo) or wait for DataViz to make it available. I think the basic version was supposed to remain free.
    09-16-08 01:17 PM
    go to program files > common files > research in motion > shared > loader files > (your device software)

find the file "DocumentsToGo.alx" and change it to "DocumentsToGo.OLD"

that will stop DM from trying to downgrade it every time you connect the device.
    09-16-08 01:21 PM
    True - just wish I'd searched/known that before I did the "downgrade" which actually removed SheetToGo.
    09-16-08 01:43 PM
    katt1372 - if Dtg->Check for Updates doesn't help restore SheetToGo, I found another way which worked for me.
    1. Go to dataviz.com and log in to your account with the My Account button in the upper right. Create an account if you don't already have one.
    1. Go to http://www.dataviz.com/downloads/redownloads/index.html and enter your last name and DTG registration number in the Redownloads column and select the login button. The reg number is in the app's About ... menu.
    2. Select "Click to download software" in the center column
    3. On the next screen, enter your email address and dataviz will send you an OTA link for the DTG install. That included SheetToGo which is how I got it back.

vinmontRD - I liked your idea and followed your procedure carefully but still couldn't get DM to stop wanting to downgrade DTG even though I changed the version to match in the .alx file and removed all the extra language files. I ended up following oakie/jrozendaal's method and renamed the file. That works too.
    09-16-08 02:43 PM
    now I just did this and it told me that I have three downloads left, then I will have to start paying for it.
    11-12-08 11:58 PM
    Some of you are really making it harder than it needs to be. Simply rename the extension to "old." If you have already had your docs removed by apploader, go through the registration process again and log on and download a new copy of the free upgrade to get another copy with sheets to go. Then go rename the alx to old.

Vinmont, your fix may work, but it doesn't seem easier than renaming an extension. I made the mistake myself. I renamed the file's extension and have used apploader a number of times and it leaves docs to go alone. In fact, after an OS upgrade, apploader saw docs to go as a thirdparty app and saved and reinstalled it in the new OS. It continued to work fine and I did not lose any files.

Helstar, do the rename fix and you won't have to worry about it. Also, your download count will reset when you upgrade your OS again, but like I said, it won't matter after you do the fix.

Katt, the solution is above in several posts, like Oakies. Go ahead and do it. You too Tom.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 12:51 AM
    BTW, nice to see you Oakie. , not much has changed here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD