08-25-09 10:29 PM
30 12
tools
    I thought transcription was free. Heck, the email alerts have ads; they could toss in transcription.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 07:56 AM
    This is my first BB and I agree with most why pay for something you can get for free.
    Anyways I loaded this app and at first wasn't sure what I thought. But after using it and having messages sent to my email I started liking it more.
    It is a huge convenience to be able to just look at the email to see who left a message.
    07-27-09 08:01 AM
    You need the VYmail app. Its works way better then youmail app. I dont use the email part of youmail because of the adds but visual voice mail is nice
    07-27-09 08:09 AM
    Youmail works fine as a VVM client...why would you create a thread with the title like that? You should have written "Disappointed with Youmail transcription"

Think twice people before you create a thread title, it's the most important part of the thread.
    07-27-09 09:46 AM
    Yea pretty much

07-27-09 10:31 AM
    Agreed. It's not a bad service but I really think transcription could be free and they would still have hopes of profitability. In any event, I don't think I can change the title now.

07-27-09 10:51 AM
    I use the Youmail on my Storm. But to be honest, I like Verizon's visual voicemail, which I use on my tour, much better.
    07-27-09 10:55 AM
    This is what I use. Works flawless and better than Youmail app

joekrill.com
    07-27-09 10:55 AM
    I thought transcription was free. Heck, the email alerts have ads; they could toss in transcription.

So, you're dissappointed because YOU thought something was free? This thread fails. Youmail, has so many good options I'm suprised anything is free.
    07-27-09 11:34 AM
    i dropped Youmail the day after i got my Google Voice invite. while the transcription only works inf they call the new number it's very convenient to read it online (or as a text) when listening to voice mail is not available.
    07-27-09 11:53 AM
    YouMail is a great service, with a great vvm app. As everyone has already said, the only thing to be "disappointed in" with this particular thread, is your own misunderstanding of what was included free of charge.
    07-27-09 12:14 PM
    i dropped Youmail the day after i got my Google Voice invite. while the transcription only works inf they call the new number it's very convenient to read it online (or as a text) when listening to voice mail is not available.
    Even though I've had a Google Voice account for sometime, I still kept my "Youmail" account active for those who don't have my GVoice Number. I don't mind having both. They are both fun to play with and utilize.
    07-27-09 12:34 PM
    you mail wasn't all the special to me.. granted i didn't give it all that much of a chance.. but the amount of voice mails i get usually is minimal.
    07-27-09 12:39 PM
    Youmail is great; I skipped over Verizon VVM for it. Yeah so they don't transcribe... whatever. It's easy to filter / read through email swith the app, so I'm happy .
    07-27-09 12:43 PM
    you mail wasn't all the special to me.. granted i didn't give it all that much of a chance.. but the amount of voice mails i get usually is minimal.
    I kind of like the option of not allowing people to leave me a voice mail. I'm more about if it's important: Email me, SMS, BBM, or if you really have to then call me back. Otherwise wait till you see me.
    07-27-09 12:44 PM
    what is a transcription?
    07-27-09 01:01 PM
    what is a transcription?
    Transcription is a voice to text service, usually a pay service that allows you to read your voice mail.
    07-27-09 01:40 PM
    Transcription is a voice to text service, usually a pay service that allows you to read your voice mail.
    Hey

Thanks for answering my question.

How do I have youmail not charge me for transcription, how can I avoid this?

Sorry I'm clueless
    07-27-09 02:12 PM
    Does the verizon service do transcription.

07-27-09 02:14 PM
    what is difference between vymail and youmail, i am confused on this
    07-27-09 06:45 PM
    Plenty of shills here for Youmail.

It seems that VISUAL voicemail means that it involves speech-to-text. The free version of Youmail does not provide this feature. For the uninitiated, the free version includes deletion, saving, etc. of your voicemail with a GUI in addition to audible prompts if you call into your number. This is an improvement over standard phone company provided voicemail.

I don't take the attitude that all great software needs to be free. I'll buy good stuff but we're still customers if we use software that is partially supported by advertising. I think it's a fail that the speech-to-text is a paid-only feature.
    07-27-09 09:21 PM
    I downloaded YouMail the other day and I really liked it. My voicemail has been stuck with some greeting that I don't like and I tried everything to change it back to the default greeting but it doesn't go back. So I loved it when I saw you can change it to their greetings. I payed for the speech to text and it's ok. It takes like 10 minutes for it to finally translate it. I recommend just getting the basic YouMail. It's worth it. Especially when you can have the system say the person's name who's calling you as part of the greeting.
    07-27-09 09:28 PM
    what is difference between vymail and youmail, i am confused on this
    I was very confused at first too, but have used it since last year and it's so handy!!

vymail is a freebie program written by joe krill (joekrill.com) to work in conjuction with youmail and expand its features. Previously with youmail an alert would be sent to the phone (SMS or email) that you had a message and you logged into or called youmail to get it. So joe krill took it a step further and created a program that downloads your messages right into your phone. No logging in, just launch vymail and caller info is there and all you have to do is press play.

But recently youmail has added the same feature that joe krill designed. I upgraded to the new youmail (still free), left vymail installed as well. (Don't know why, think I feel a sense of loyalty to joe krill for all his hard work in making a convenient freebie). Anyway, both are running, both do essentially the same thing now, and there seems to be no conflict so far, both work.

youmail offers a lot more storage than VZW for free. Also has some nice greeting features, such as personalized for callers (i.e. your spouse can be greeted with "high baby cakes" . ) Or stalking ex spouse can be greeted with ditchmail, you can assign a greeting to play when your ex calls, such as "this number is no longer in service". (Each greeting is assignable to one or multiple callers, you choose the callers and which greetings they get. Or use one universal greeting for everyone. Lots to choose from. Or record your own. ).

Here's what vymail screen looks like (the new improved youmail is very similar):
    joekrill.com - VyMail - YouMail application for Blackberry devices

But before you can use vymail, first you have to sign up at youmail:
    Enhanced Visual Voicemail For Cell Phones | YouMail
    07-27-09 10:14 PM
    I am using youmail and vymail. The combo seems great so far. Thanks for the tips!
    08-04-09 10:05 AM
    I couldn't get the youmail software to notify me of a waiting message. I dowloaded the vymail and it works great.

08-04-09 10:28 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD