Here's an offshoot of Tritium Compass, oriented more toward speed than direction, but still providing a small digital analog compass along with the larger digital-analog speedometer.

Digital reading in MPH or KPH (km/h) is in center of speedometer, surrounded by a rotating speed dial and dual instant-view speed bands.

The inner band is on the scale 0-20 MPH (or 0-30 KPH), to get a quick impression of how fast you are walking, jogging, or sprinting. If that's completely lit up, it means you are over 20 MPH.

The outer, brighter & wider band is on the scale 0-120 MPH (or 0-160 KPH), to get a quick impression of your speed while driving. The band is half-full at typical highway speed, i.e. 60 MPH. If the band is completely lit up, it means you are over 120 MPH (or 160 KPH if in Metric mode).

The dial keeps rotating past that point, however fast you go -- in an airplane it should work all the way up to the limit of civilian GPS.

There is also a simple small compass that shows your GPS course.

Selectable colors: Green, Blue, Amber, Pink, White, Battery Level (shifts from green through yellow & orange to red).

Here's the beta version:

Speedometer for OS 5 to 7

No known problems. Feedback is appreciated if anyone notices anything not right.

Thank you!
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 07-14-12 at 09:09 AM. Reason: status update (problems fixed)
    07-14-12 07:47 AM
    Pretty cool but it seems to only update the speed in increments of a few seconds which results in pretty significant jumps in a car. Other than that seems great.
    07-17-12 05:41 PM
    Pretty cool but it seems to only update the speed in increments of a few seconds which results in pretty significant jumps in a car. Other than that seems great.
    Yes. Even with such a modest tracking rate, on some phones (i.e. Storm 1) the GPS chip makes the phone hot. If I pushed it harder it could only be worse, plus it would use more power.

I'll build a version where you can select a faster scan rate, and you can try that.
    07-17-12 08:24 PM
    Updated with "Fastest Response" option.

Same link as before.

You'll have to delete the old version before installing the new, otherwise it won't install.

Please let me know how that works for you... thank you!
    07-17-12 11:54 PM
    Updated with "Fastest Response" option.

Same link as before.

You'll have to delete the old version before installing the new, otherwise it won't install.

Please let me know how that works for you... thank you!
    Much better! Thanks!

I only got to play with the updated version today. I put the GPS to fastest response and had no trouble. Mind you, I use it in my truck so I keep the charger plugged in. Can't tell how it impacts the battery. Speed updates while accelerating are comparable to VCMS which has similar functions.
    Last edited by rawllw; 07-21-12 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Edit to add: I bought it so I can post a review.
    07-21-12 03:43 PM
    Thanks. Actually the heating problem I experienced on the Storm was on a very hot day (over 100 in the shade), but in normal conditions the phone's not getting hot. So I modified it with the default setting a compromise between fastest and most power-efficient, and you can change it for best response or lowest power.

Also added an option that makes the color shift depending on the speed range you're in.

This has been bundled in with the flashlight and compass HERE as a stand-alone app, or all 3 are part of the utilities bundle.
    07-21-12 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD