I'm looking to see what other diet apps are out there for BB...specifically calorie counters cause I can't go over 1,100 so this is really important! None of that WW point crap or whatnot...

I used to use Lose It! On my iPod Touch but I got tired of always having to tote it around in case I had to log some food in. I'm now using FatSecret on my BB. I like it but it's very primitive, feels "clunky" to use, and I think some of the menu items need some updating. Oh, and I'd like the ability to customize my portions a bit more.

The calorie counter I'm looking for also needs to have a fairly large database of info for brand name/restaurant/general foods....the database doesn't have to be stored on the device; it can also be accessed online.

So what's the best app out there? Or if you know of any, you can tell them too. I'm willing to see what's out there.

If I can't find anything, looks like I'm stuck with FatSecret
    07-28-09 10:43 PM
    I use Live Strong's Daily Plate. The BB app isn't nearly as good as the online version though. Searches don't work as well and it only syncs one way. Info entered via BB shows up on the web but not vice versa. There are some other flaws as well. It works though just not as well as it should.
    07-28-09 10:56 PM
    I use Live Strong's Daily Plate. The BB app isn't nearly as good as the online version though. Searches don't work as well and it only syncs one way. Info entered via BB shows up on the web but not vice versa. There are some other flaws as well. It works though just not as well as it should.
    Oh dear, searches don't work very well. I'm always searching for food and such, esp when I plan my meals. That doesn't sound too good. But I guess I'll look into it...we'll see. Thanks!
    07-28-09 10:59 PM
    Bump for this, great idea for an app.
    07-29-09 01:38 AM
    I used Live Strong's Daily Plate to count calories while I was losing weight.

I lost 50 pounds in 5 months. Now I'm 6'4" weighing about 205 pounds.

I thought the app was great, I tried all of the free ones and they just didn't do what I wanted. Daily Plate is awesome without the App, but with the app you don't need to be near a computer to enter your food or check your calories so far for the day.

It does Sync both ways. If you enter food online and tell the app to Sync it will show up on your daily food list and your current calorie intake. If you enter it on your Blackberry it also populates online.

The app is great for entering and searching food, I didn't have a problem finding anything. If you want to peruse a menu at a restaurant going online to the website may be your best bet, but if you know exactly what item you want it shouldn’t be a problem. The app also keeps track of the foods you eat so you don't constantly have to search.

I think it's great and definitely worth the few bucks I paid.
    07-29-09 07:17 AM
    Congrats on the weight loss! 50 lb in 5 months is very healthy and admirable! I've lost about 20 lb since I've been home w/ calorie tracking but want to lose some more.

So you vouch for the Live Strong app as well? I may just need to check it out then. That's nice that they "save" the foods you eat so you don't have to go searching all the time.

I hope there's a free trial!
    07-29-09 07:44 AM
    theres a free calorie counter on app world, im a weight watchers membe i mainly use weight watchers mobile.
    07-29-09 10:43 AM
    did you find a calorie counter that works well? my doc was guiding me toward iphone saying that app was good. but i still have BB. i do not want something that i have to go hunting for foods with and type in and add etc. used 1 on line with desk top that was good daily, very easy, but could not save day to day.
    07-31-09 03:10 PM
    I used Live Strong's Daily Plate to count calories while I was losing weight.

I lost 50 pounds in 5 months. Now I'm 6'4" weighing about 205 pounds.

I thought the app was great, I tried all of the free ones and they just didn't do what I wanted. Daily Plate is awesome without the App, but with the app you don't need to be near a computer to enter your food or check your calories so far for the day.

It does Sync both ways. If you enter food online and tell the app to Sync it will show up on your daily food list and your current calorie intake. If you enter it on your Blackberry it also populates online.

The app is great for entering and searching food, I didn't have a problem finding anything. If you want to peruse a menu at a restaurant going online to the website may be your best bet, but if you know exactly what item you want it shouldn’t be a problem. The app also keeps track of the foods you eat so you don't constantly have to search.

I think it's great and definitely worth the few bucks I paid.
    Where do you tell the app online to sync to your BB? I can't find that option.

For the record I think the online app is great. I just don't understand why I can search for a food item online and find it no problem but enter in on the BB app the same exact way and it say no matches found. You would think they would work the same when searching. The BB app works pretty well and I use it often. It is worth the $3 I paid for it I would recommend it. I have lost 25lbs so far using LiveStrong's Daily Plate.
    Last edited by skynny70; 07-31-09 at 04:30 PM. Reason: more info
    07-31-09 04:20 PM
    I figured it out. I just discovered that hitting the Blackberry button provides the menu with the "synchronize" option that updates anything entered online to the BB. The BB app just became much better to me.

Good luck everyone. Only 14 more lbs to go for me!
    08-01-09 09:07 AM
    Anyone know of somewhere other than app world to get this app for my bb? Had too many issues with paypal to attempt it that way.
    09-06-09 10:35 AM
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned Brio calorie counter-its free and its very basic. If you're a calorie encyclopedia like me-this is all I need. It let's you put in the item name, calories and what meal it was for. It keeps a history and will chart weekly intake.

For the new calorie counter, the CalorieCount.com app is good (free as well) bc it will allow you to search a food and get the info.

Livestrong is a good site, though I started with sparkpeople and prefer that-if for nothing else I personally felt like its a more 'personable' community, but everyone has their own likes/dislikes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-09 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD