Old .jad link that's usually passed around is down, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24704513/Bla...ionary.com.jad.

Anyone have a live link or willing to upload a new one?

Thanks!
    04-18-12 02:28 PM
    I miss this app, had it on my 9000 ages ago
    04-18-12 02:40 PM
    I thought this app wasn't available on OS 7 or 7.1.
    04-18-12 02:50 PM
    1. Go to your browser
    2. Type dictionary.com
    3. Once it is loaded, press the menu button and send to home screen

Or just enter the search term in the browser and you can change the search engine to dictionary.com.

It never was an app, just a downloadable web shortcut.
    04-18-12 02:52 PM
    I downloaded the .jad link onto my 9930, which was unfortunately dropped in water earlier this week, and it worked perfectly. Really hoping someone uploads a new link.

Using Dictionary.com will work fine as an alternative, but that app was probably my favorite and most used, thus why I'm being insistent.

"It never was an app, just a downloadable web shortcut. "

Well, then, Sir, I've been wrong about apps this entire time because it sure looked and functioned like one.
    04-18-12 03:02 PM
    Well it may or may not have been an app, but the webshortcut looks and functions pretty darn similar to the one that was able to be downloaded on App World.
    04-18-12 03:13 PM
    Well it may or may not have been an app, but the webshortcut looks and functions pretty darn similar to the one that was able to be downloaded on App World.
    Yeah, I finally gave up & did this awhile back too. Actually works really well.
    04-18-12 10:40 PM
    I thought this app wasn't available on OS 7 or 7.1.
    I have forced loaded the app from a link with no issues at all.
    04-18-12 11:50 PM
    1. Go to your browser
    2. Type dictionary.com

Or just enter the search term in the browser and you can change the search engine to dictionary.com.

This is NOT good enough when you need definitions at a faster phase. You should be able to quickly pull out and search for a word instead of just wasting time on waiting for the page to load and then waiting for the definition to load.
    04-18-12 11:52 PM
    I have forced loaded the app from a link with no issues at all.
    That's interesting. How did you do that? I emailed them and they said the app is not available. If it runs on 7.x, I wonder what their problem is. You'd think they would have tried that.
    04-19-12 01:33 AM
    That's interesting. How did you do that? I emailed them and they said the app is not available. If it runs on 7.x, I wonder what their problem is. You'd think they would have tried that.
    I will try to upload the Java file for the Dictionary.com app in next week.

Basically you extract the .jad or .cod file from a working model like Bold 9700 and download that file to the Bold 9900 using DM or using an Internet link.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 04-19-12 at 05:43 AM.
    04-19-12 05:34 AM
    OPEN this link from your BlackBerry web browser:

Try this and let me know if it works: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53155996/dictionary.cod

Oh yes.... the search box will be extremely small since the resolution of the Bold 99xx is different from Bold 9700. But it is still FASTER than using just the web based site!

Update: OOPS... I need to get .jad file not the .cod file. This file can be loaded with DM only.... Give me few days and I will try upload the right file.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 04-19-12 at 06:28 AM. Reason: The file won't work, but I will update soon.
    deezy87 and dblaze like this.
    04-19-12 05:44 AM
    Here is the problem with force loading an app... In this app, it is a minor appearance issue. The search box is so small and the whole outlook of the app is not set for the screen resolution.

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900
    04-19-12 06:16 AM
    1. Go to your browser
    2. Type dictionary.com

I believe it was an app, when I had it, it was no shortcut to browser or any of that. This was back in 2008.
    04-19-12 07:13 AM
    This is NOT good enough when you need definitions at a faster phase. You should be able to quickly pull out and search for a word instead of just wasting time on waiting for the page to load and then waiting for the definition to load.
    I was just giving a SUGGESTION for the OP. Browser works just fine for me and I don't want to risk using an app that isn't compatible with OS 7.
    04-19-12 02:49 PM
    I was just giving a SUGGESTION for the OP. Browser works just fine for me and I don't want to risk using an app that isn't compatible with OS 7.
    Me either. Too chicken. There have been way too many issues with bricking & nuking for me to go there. Kinda sad that I feel that way cuz I tried all kinds of crazy stuff with my 8330. To each his own tho.
    04-19-12 02:57 PM
    Me either. Too chicken. There have been way too many issues with bricking & nuking for me to go there. Kinda sad that I feel that way cuz I tried all kinds of crazy stuff with my 8330. To each his own tho.
    Ha... very true. I've nuked twice already, but that was my fault. Nothing to do with the device or OS7. I remember loading anything and everything on my 8330, that thing is a workhorse! It is still ticking. Plus I like to keep my apps to a minimum.
    04-19-12 03:03 PM
    Yes, if you don't like to take a risk, then don't do it. I look at the specifications of this app and found the software coding will not cause any problem. It is just the resolution is different. The TCP/IP connections, the BIS connection and how the app operate on the 7.1 is same as OS 6 as far as I am concerned.

There is an app called Free FancyTran - Download FancyTran - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World it is free and it can give you the deflation and pronunciation for MOST words. (but not all words are there)

Set the translation on FancyTrans from English to English to get definitions. It if FREE too.

Another downside of FanyTran is that it will NOT give you suggestions if you make a spelling error.
    04-20-12 09:28 AM
    Ha... very true. I've nuked twice already, but that was my fault. Nothing to do with the device or OS7. I remember loading anything and everything on my 8330, that thing is a workhorse! It is still ticking. Plus I like to keep my apps to a minimum.
    Lol! So true about the 8330. Mine still works as well. Can't believe how cool I thot that old rollerball was when I got it. After using a trackpad (plus the touchscreen) tho, there's no way I could ever go back.
    04-20-12 11:04 AM
    Yes, if you don't like to take a risk, then don't do it. I look at the specifications of this app and found the software coding will not cause any problem. It is just the resolution is different. The TCP/IP connections, the BIS connection and how the app operate on the 7.1 is same as OS 6 as far as I am concerned.

There is an app called Free FancyTran - Download FancyTran - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World it is free and it can give you the deflation and pronunciation for MOST words. (but not all words are there)

Set the translation on FancyTrans from English to English to get definitions. It if FREE too.

Another downside of FanyTran is that it will NOT give you suggestions if you make a spelling error.
    Thanks for all the info. I did have the Dictionary.com app on my OS6 Style and it was quick & easy. Also very cool that you know how to check apps to see if they'll work or not.
    04-20-12 11:09 AM
    Does anyone have the old dictionary.com app link ??? Don't want the web launcher
    05-26-12 07:14 AM
    rroyy.com/dictionary
    Landa220 likes this.
    05-26-12 08:00 AM
    Does anyone have the old dictionary.com app link ??? Don't want the web launcher

Its pretty much the same thing. It won't work without a network or wifi connection, so why have an app that does the same thing? You can even send the shortcut to your homescreen.

Why use an app that's not compatible with this device? Looks like crap:

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    05-26-12 08:51 AM
    rroyy.com/dictionary
    Thanks! I just found this and a story associated to just how much people hate the new web-app. Upgraded to Dictionary.com v2.0? Downgrade to v1.4 Easily - BerryReview . We desparately needed the old version which WAS an actual app. It was intergrated into the email, and other parts of your blackberry.

Anyway, the link to rroyy worked along with the cod file I had.

I'm back in business.
    06-18-12 09:58 PM
    Thanks! I just found this and a story associated to just how much people hate the new web-app. Upgraded to Dictionary.com v2.0? Downgrade to v1.4 Easily - BerryReview . We desparately needed the old version which WAS an actual app. It was intergrated into the email, and other parts of your blackberry.

Anyway, the link to rroyy worked along with the cod file I had.

I'm back in business.
    Thank you so much!!! I had no trouble with the download or installation, had it up and running in less than two minutes, you are fantastic and you and Rroyy are my new best friends! Tytyty
    10-04-12 02:36 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD