Hey All,
    Is there a dictionary app I can download and put on my memory card? I know that we cannot save apps on memory card but I was thinking of a dictionary app like a pdf file or ebook of some sort that one can store on the microSD.

I know there are dictionary app that do not require connection but they are very big and i wouldn't be comfortable installing them on my phone memory.

Thank you.
    03-06-11 11:20 AM
    Well, I don't know of any, so please share: Which dictionary is it you can fully download to your device and is that huge?

Anyway, try Project Gutenberg and see if they have a txt/pdf.
    03-06-11 11:36 AM
    Hey All,
    Is there a dictionary app I can download and put on my memory card? I know that we cannot save apps on memory card but I was thinking of a dictionary app like a pdf file or ebook of some sort that one can store on the microSD.

I know there are dictionary app that do not require connection but they are very big and i wouldn't be comfortable installing them on my phone memory.

Thank you.
    There is no app., whether dictionary or anything, that can run from your memory card.
    Re: the dictionary apps that don't require connection: you can definitely save their databases on the memory card. But the core application has to be installled on the device memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Kishore Thaakur; 03-07-11 at 07:47 AM.
    03-06-11 12:10 PM
    Diego, IIRC it's oxford dictionaries but I will double check and get back to you.
    Kishore, that would be great! Cos the database is what takes the most space. Which ones do you suggest?
    Thanks!

03-07-11 06:18 AM
    Kishore, that would be great! Cos the database is what takes the most space. Which ones do you suggest?
    Thanks!
    The best of them all is "English Dictionary and Thesaurus" by 'Chocolate Chunk Apps'. But sadly it's not free. It costs $5.99, which I think is a fair price for what it does..

Here are the details:

**#1 Best Selling Dictionary on App World**
    Don't pay twice the price for an inferior plain-text dictionary not specifically designed for the Blackberry...get the largest English Dictionary and Thesaurus available:
    Over 26MB of dictionary data available on your Blackberry - no need for the internet or mobile connection.

PLEASE MAKE SURE you have at least 26MB OF SD Card or Device memory free.

How it works:
    The first time you start up the application, you will be asked to download the dictionary data. This can be done directly from the device over WiFi (recommended), from the device over the mobile network (only recommended for those with unlimited data plans), or the data can downloaded to your PC and transferred to the BB by USB cable.
    After this, all dictionary data will be available on the device.

What's so special about this dictionary?
    Uses one of the largest English databases "WordNet". It contains over 250,000 entries and more than 1.6 million words (American and British English).

This is the only dictionary on the Blackberry that displays definitions in an HTML format (think iPhone dictionaries). This means that each definition has in-built links to related words, and you can jump seamlessly between definitions.

No web connection needed - once the application data is downloaded the dictionary data is all stored on the device.

Features:
    * Links between words: More than 300,000 links between definitions. Almost every definition contains links to other definitions including "Similar Words", "Opposite", "More General", "More Specific" and more...

* Accurate content: Clear and precise definitions developed by the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University.

* GUI designed just for Blackberry.

* Smooth & Beautiful Layout: Our unique HTML display engine presents definitions as web pages.

* Fast: Searching and jumping between definitions optimized for the Blackberry platform.

* Bookmarks: unlimited bookmarks.
    03-07-11 07:45 AM
    Thanks! I will definitely look into that

03-07-11 08:18 PM
    03-08-11 10:43 AM
    Erm, I don't know if you noticed but he's asking for an app that does not resort on connecting to the internet for the content...

Dictionary.com DOES need to be connected to work...
    03-08-11 11:58 AM
    Erm, I don't know if you noticed but he's asking for an app that does not resort on connecting to the internet for the content...

Dictionary.com DOES need to be connected to work...

Sorry, didn't notice that, and thank you for the correction man

PS: add me on BBM if you wana join the CB group: PIN: 23789559
    03-08-11 12:04 PM
    I believe all the "offline" dictionaries are paid apps ranging from 5.99 to 39.99. If you're looking for a basic dictionary for day to day use and no advanced definitions and pronunciations, I think 'English Dictionary and Thesaurus' by Chocolate Chunk Apps (suggested above) would do it for you. If you're looking for that advanced dictionary, Collins (39.99) and Merriam-Webster (29.99) are your two best options.
    03-08-11 12:40 PM
    Problem is, the paid Merriam-Webster Collegiate dictionary from the Amazon App store is not fully compatible with OS 10.3 (Passport), in spite of what the Amazon App store says about compatibility.

Three major issues: First: word selection does not work via touchscreen, only via physical keyboard. Second:voice output (pronunciation help) doesnt work at all. Thirdly, quite a few word search entries show no results, even though the words themselves show up...

Way too expensive for what its worth!
    11-24-14 11:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD