So I've read through the forums as best I could, deleted anything that had "vvm" in the /java folder, tried changing the "required" fields from true to false in the .alx file, and yet the visual voice mail is still there on my phone. Here's a screenie of my BBSAK "read system," showing that there is nothing with VVM on my phone, yet visual voice mail is still there, despite several restarts and different fixes.

I'm running a T-Mobile Curve 8520 with .592

Any suggestions?
    05-21-10 01:35 AM
    05-21-10 01:42 AM
    I tried everything from that whole thread. I deleted all the *vvm*.cod files from the /java folder, changed and then deleted the *vvm*.alx file from the main RIM common files folder and ran BBSAK to try and get rid of any files that were still on my BB. Nothing worked. After I deleted the .cod files, I went and ran the apploader program, nothing showed up that said I could add/remove the visual voice mail. Does anyone have anything that wasn't tried in the thread listed above?

Neil
    05-21-10 02:03 AM
    When you loaded your OS, had you deleted the Vendor file?

I am NOT 100% that matters, but I've read some other posters make a correlation between these issues.

Also, I've had trouble deleting some cods with BBSAK once on the device, even though removing from your OS pre-install is no issue.

Did you delete all those cods and edit the alx before installing your OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-10 02:27 AM
    Here's my procedures as I remember them.
    1) get new BB, find it much, much better than old Windows OS phone.
    2) remove vendor.xml
    3) install 5.0.0.592 over 4.6.1...
    4) Really like new OS 5 features except for the BBmessenger and visual voice mail
    5) remove BBM through procedures listed on this and other sites
    6) edited .alx file
    6) ran apploader - nothing showed up differently/changed, etc.
    7) deleted .alx file, ran apploader, same as above
    8) deleted *vvm*.cod from /java folder, ran apploader, same result as above
    9) restarted - no change
    10) pulled battery - no change
    11) begin to pull out hair.
    What am I missing here?
    05-21-10 02:33 AM
    Not sure. The best is to post your question in my original thread, then you can get some answers, rather than creating separate thread here. I am still trying to uninstall mine, but no luck!
    05-21-10 12:46 PM
    Neil, I think you should just re-install the OS now that you have all the relevant files edited or removed. I personally never wipe devices when upgrading my OS, but given your particular situation I think you should back up everything including 3rd party apps, wipe it, and install your modified OS.

If this doesn't work, I am so sorry to have wasted your time!

05-21-10 03:26 PM
    I do have one other thought.
    The VVM could have already been removed like BBSAK says, but T-Mo is pushing the icon through. The icon might in this case act essentially as a launcher to their website for downloading.

Telus pushes 5 or 6 icons through for their downloadable, pay-monthly apps. I am still trying to figure out how to delete/block them.

Look in the T-Mobile forum as it wouldn't be a device-specific or OS issue, but rather carrier related.

05-21-10 03:30 PM
    were you able to confirm that it's just an icon and not an app? How about if you check if the app is running in the background with BBM, msg, etc?
    05-29-10 06:14 PM
    I do have one other thought.
    The VVM could have already been removed like BBSAK says, but T-Mo is pushing the icon through. The icon might in this case act essentially as a launcher to their website for downloading.

Telus pushes 5 or 6 icons through for their downloadable, pay-monthly apps. I am still trying to figure out how to delete/block them.

Look in the T-Mobile forum as it wouldn't be a device-specific or OS issue, but rather carrier related.

I think you are correct, that it is just a launcher to install the app. I would just hide it and be done with it. All the vendors, ATT, T-Mo, Verizon, Sprint, etc, preload these icons. It is one of the ways they can differentiate themselves from other carriers and helps to subsidize the cost of the phones. So as much as we don't like them, there is a benefit in that it costs us less to buy the phone. I have approximately 20+ icons hidden on my BB. Kind of reminds me of the bloatware you get when you buy a new PC.
    05-29-10 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD