07-29-09 06:20 AM
169 123 ...
tools
    I'm desperately trying to improve the application memory on my storm; I'm trying to delete a number of applications to help do this. Frustratingly, there are a number of applications that appeared magically (ie MySpace, Pocket Express, Music Centre) from either RIM or Bell (my carrier). When I select them and hit the menu button, there is no option to delete them. When I attempt to delete them using the Device Manager on my computer, these items don't show up on my list of applications. Are there any other ways to get rid of these things?

Thanks!
    07-28-09 10:02 PM
    You cant delete them, they are just launchers though unless you click on them and installed them. Just hide them and forget about them.
    07-28-09 10:07 PM
    Those are puch applications from your carrier. What you are looking at are simply icons representing the applications which act as launchers for an OTA install, no application is actually installed until you actually click on them.

They take up next to nothing for space, and will only return when service books are resent to your device. Simply hide them and move on to other more memory intensive apps on your device memory.

Try removing the stock wallpapers, ringtones, etc to free up some more space.
    07-28-09 10:07 PM
    Unfortunately, I have installed some of them... just to get an idea of what they do. Am I out of luck?

Again, thanks...
    07-28-09 10:10 PM
    Options>Advanced>Applications

If the app is installed on your device, it will be in this list. Highlight it, press the BB key, and select "delete".
    07-28-09 10:12 PM
    What happens if they don't appear on that list? Is it possible that an application is on my phone but doesn't appear on the list?
    07-28-09 10:15 PM
    No. If the application is not on the list, it isn't on your device.
    07-28-09 10:16 PM
    What happens if they don't appear on that list? Is it possible that an application is on my phone but doesn't appear on the list?
    No. If it is not in the list, it's not on your phone.

If it's on your phone, it will be in the list.
    07-28-09 10:17 PM
    Okay... that's good news. Are there any items that I should definitely NOT delete. For instance, I'm thinking about deleting stuff like BlackBerry Maps, Blackberry Application Centre, etc. Right now I'm running with (at best) about 22 megs of application memory and am trying to figure out what I can do to fix this. I'm often as low as 3 or 4 megs of application memory...
    07-28-09 10:19 PM
    For one, make sure you are closing out of apps properly (using the exit or close function rather than just backing out of the app), as that can leave a lot of apps running in the background, hogging your memory.

The app centre is another push application, you won't get rid of it either, unless you mean the App World, in which case go ahead and drop it if you don't use it. There is a thread somewhere around here about optimizing your memory, let me see if I cn find it.
    07-28-09 10:24 PM
    what else have you installed on the phone? list your apps and themes. it would appear you have to much crap on there as it is. Also what OS you running
    07-28-09 10:24 PM
    07-28-09 10:26 PM

APPS (from the list in 'Advanced Options'):

BlackBerry 4.7 Core Applications
    BlackBerry 4.7 System Software
    BlackBerry App World
    BlackBerry Attachment Service
    BlackBerry Maps
    Browser
    CB Launcher
    com_plazmic_them_iBerry_Bottom_Dock 2009.02.18
    Documents To Go
    Email Setup Application
    Facebook
    FlashLight
    Flight Path
    FlyCast
    Garmin Mobile
    Google Maps
    Help
    Level
    MemoPad
    Password Keeper
    Phone
    Poynt
    QuickPull v2
    Tasks
    TwitterBerry
    Viigo
    Vlingo
    WeatherEye
    Word Mole
    net_rim_bb_app_centre (Application Centre)
    07-28-09 10:31 PM
    michaelwpg: it appears that the link was broken... thanks, though...
    07-28-09 10:32 PM
    Okay... that's good news. Are there any items that I should definitely NOT delete. For instance, I'm thinking about deleting stuff like BlackBerry Maps, Blackberry Application Centre, etc. Right now I'm running with (at best) about 22 megs of application memory and am trying to figure out what I can do to fix this. I'm often as low as 3 or 4 megs of application memory...
    22MB is not bad at all. What OS version are you running? OS version .151 is incredible as far as memory stability. If you boot at 22, by the end of the day you'll likely still be around 18 or so. I only lose 2 or so MB per day, after losing 10-20 on every OS previously.

Some of that stuff you can certainly get rid of. Do you use Google Maps? I do, so I got rid of BB Maps. I didn't want Verizon Application Center either, among other things. Some of that stuff you can only get rid of my manually removing files before installation or using Shrink-A-OS. Using Shrink-A-OS is very, very easy and can save you a lot of app memory.
    07-28-09 10:33 PM

APPS (from the list in 'Advanced Options'):

BlackBerry 4.7 Core Applications
    BlackBerry 4.7 System Software
    BlackBerry App World
    BlackBerry Attachment Service
    BlackBerry Maps
    Browser
    CB Launcher
    com_plazmic_them_iBerry_Bottom_Dock 2009.02.18

Documents To Go
    Email Setup Application
    Facebook
    FlashLight
    Flight Path
    FlyCast
    Garmin Mobile
    Google Maps

Help
    Level
    MemoPad
    Password Keeper
    Phone
    Poynt
    QuickPull v2
    Tasks
    TwitterBerry
    Viigo
    Vlingo
    WeatherEye

Word Mole
    net_rim_bb_app_centre (Application Centre)
    themes can cause memory leaks and are big on there own

you have 3 map applications, get rid of 2 of them

viigo twitterberry can also eat memory since they run all the time
    07-28-09 10:35 PM
    How does one use "Shrink A OS"? Where can I get it?
    07-28-09 10:35 PM
    michaelwpg: it appears that the link was broken... thanks, though...
    Shouldn't be broken bud, just checked it myself, no issues. It's a good thread, if you can't get to it for whatever reason from the link, just try the search function to find it, or look on the first page of the Help and HowTo Forum.
    07-28-09 10:37 PM
    Ahh, yeah, looking at your apps, you have a good bit but not a ton by any means. I would really recommend trying out .151 (if you're comfortable upgrading your OS) and maybe using Shrink-A-OS if you're dead set on increasing memory.

Again, on every OS before .151, I'd boot around 35MB, and by the end of the day I'd be sitting around 20-25MB. Sometimes, I'd be down in the teens. With .151, today I booted at 34.4, and I'm sitting at 33.3 right now. Yesterday, booted at 34.4 and sat at 33.1 before my 5AM reset!
    07-28-09 10:38 PM
    Howarmat:

So... get rid of BlackBerry Maps and GoogleMaps, seeing as my Garmin Mobile is a paid application?

Also... delete any themes I'm not currently using?

I'm reluctant to get rid of Viigo or TwitterBerry -- I'm liking both right now.

Thanks for your ideas!
    07-28-09 10:39 PM
    Apologies to all for posting in two forums... a rookie mistake I assure you! I'll stay here -- you've all been very helpful!
    07-28-09 10:40 PM
    nyr2k2... sounds like good suggestions to me. Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know where to get the new OS and Shrink-A-OS... can you help?
    07-28-09 10:41 PM
    Here's the link to the Shrink-A-OS thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/sh...icidal-193905/
    There are download links and brief directions in there. Realizing that you "shrink" your OS before actually loading anything on your phone is reassuring, so you probably won't mess anything up.

Also, there are plenty of people on here to hold your hand through the whole process if you need that.

Check here for download links for .151: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/al...d-151-a-263222

EDIT: My links aren't working, sorry. If you do a Google search for "Shrink-A-OS" the very first result will be the thread on these fourms.
    Last edited by nyr2k2; 07-28-09 at 10:48 PM.
    07-28-09 10:42 PM
    michaelwpg: got the link to work... again, thanks!
    07-28-09 10:42 PM
    I'm thinking hand holding would definitely be beneficial... any takers?
    07-28-09 10:43 PM
169 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD