Hi everybody,

First of all thanks in advance. So here's the deal. I went to India for the summer and bought a new Blackberry 8520 from Airtel and got it unlocked. I am back in the US and have put my ATT sim card in it. It works fine and I can make calls and stuff. Since it has Wi-Fi, I paired it up to my home router and can browse the web in Browser. When I try to use the Facebook app, anything I do results in a "Data Service not present" error. I am on a family plan not a BB plan. We specifically got the pay-per-use data plan disabled because we kept accidentally using it. What I am guessing is that because we don't have a data plan, the BB did not receive the service book entry for data usage. I have tried restoring service book entries from other forum posts etc. but I cannot get it to work. Recap:

Phone: 8520 unlocked
    Plan: Standard family plan w/ no additional packages
    Data: Specifically turned off
    Problem: Browser works fine off of wifi but any other app complains about "no data service available"

Please help me!!!!
    09-13-09 11:57 AM
    You need a blackberry data plan for facebook, BB maps, BB messenger, or any other RIM app.

Without one, those apps won't work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 09-13-09 at 12:58 PM.
    09-13-09 12:46 PM
    My cousin does not have a blackberry data plan but all his apps work fine over wifi (Bold 9000).
    09-14-09 09:31 AM
    Does your cousin use the RIM Facebook app you mentioned?

This, and most other RIM apps require a BB data plan to work.

Last edited by Phill_UK; 09-14-09 at 06:38 PM.
    09-14-09 10:40 AM
    All apps work fine on his including the RIM facebook app and the BB Messenger
    09-14-09 05:45 PM
    If your cousin is using BB Messenger, then he DEFINITELY has a BB data plan!

This app uses service books to work, and the ONLY way to obtain these is with a data plan.

I must admit I'm not 100% certain about the Facebook app working over wifi without a data plan, but I am 1000% certain that BB Messenger, BB Maps and BB App World will NOT work without a data plan, even over wifi.

EDIT: Just done some googling, and it seems you can run the Facebook app over wifi without a data plan. You have to switch off your mobile network whilst on wifi for it to work though. Apologies for the misinformation on this one

Last edited by Phill_UK; 09-14-09 at 06:36 PM.
    09-14-09 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD