everytime i receive an mms file, i get GIBBERISH sent to me through crunch -

anyone?
    04-21-10 04:06 PM
    email them and they will try to fix the issue, it has been happening for a while now and they are continuously trying to fix it
    04-21-10 04:58 PM
    bummer. thanks ,
    04-21-10 05:30 PM
    its why i stopped using it
    04-21-10 10:57 PM
    what is crunch? ive been having some weird message issues and i wonder if its the same?
    05-07-10 06:43 PM
    It's a SMS addon that makes your SMS look like the iPhone. You'd know if you installed it.
    05-07-10 06:52 PM
    It's a SMS addon that makes your SMS look like the iPhone. You'd know if you installed it.
    it does? mine didnt look like and iphone.

i used it because i could continue typing past 160 spaces and it would send the messages broken up on its own. since the app beyond 160 seems to have been abandoned crunch worked the same way.

id still use it if that gibberish thing would stop
    05-10-10 11:10 AM
    I use BerryPopUp and when I receive a MMS it pops up a message with gibberish too. I simply close it and go into my SMS/MMS folder and my picture mail is there waiting for me. Does it work this way with CrunchSMS too? Can you simply delete the message in Crunch and go into the default SMS/MMS folder to view your picture message?
    05-10-10 11:18 AM
    I use crunch for my sms and just have my mms go to the default. Works just fine for me that way!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-10 12:22 PM
    I use BerryPopUp and when I receive a MMS it pops up a message with gibberish too. I simply close it and go into my SMS/MMS folder and my picture mail is there waiting for me. Does it work this way with CrunchSMS too? Can you simply delete the message in Crunch and go into the default SMS/MMS folder to view your picture message?
    Yep. You just delete the gibberish in crunch and then go view your mms in your regular sms/mms folder. I love crunch. You can write long texts and it breaks them up into multiple messages, is threaded, and you can customize the colors to pretty much anything you want. The gibberish messages are a minor annoyance for me.

05-10-10 12:25 PM
    Since iv upgraded to the latest version the mms glitchd has stopd! Try upgrading.

05-10-10 01:14 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give it a whirl!!
    05-10-10 02:32 PM
    Since iv upgraded to the latest version the mms glitchd has stopd! Try upgrading.

Interesting. I'm using the latest version 2.6 and still get gibberish messages every time I get an mms. Maybe it depends on your platform. I've got an 8330m running OS 4.5.0.186.

05-10-10 07:20 PM
    The problem actually lies with RIM on this one. As another poster pointed out BerryPopup can have this issue as well, and I have recently encounter it in an app I wrote. The problem stems from the way an application sets a "listener" for SMS, there is no proper way using the BlackBerry API to distinguish an incoming SMS from an MMS. Basically the OS handles an incoming MMS like it does an SMS. To be a little more technical about it, some developers have tried to identify an incoming message as either text or binary. The logic behind it being that if it isnt text data then it must be an MMS, BUT the problem then is that some carriers transmit SMS as binary so everything would be identified as SMS. So in short unless RIM tells us how to do it or a work around is found all apps are stuck with this for now.
    05-10-10 07:36 PM
    The problem actually lies with RIM on this one. As another poster pointed out BerryPopup can have this issue as well, and I have recently encounter it in an app I wrote. The problem stems from the way an application sets a "listener" for SMS, there is no proper way using the BlackBerry API to distinguish an incoming SMS from an MMS. Basically the OS handles an incoming MMS like it does an SMS. To be a little more technical about it, some developers have tried to identify an incoming message as either text or binary. The logic behind it being that if it isnt text data then it must be an MMS, BUT the problem then is that some carriers transmit SMS as binary so everything would be identified as SMS. So in short unless RIM tells us how to do it or a work around is found all apps are stuck with this for now.
    Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain the problem.

05-10-10 11:14 PM
    Interesting. I'm using the latest version 2.6 and still get gibberish messages every time I get an mms. Maybe it depends on your platform. I've got an 8330m running OS 4.5.0.186.

Not sure it helps or not, but I am running the exact same setup as you. Running 2.4 I had the "gibberish" problem and once I upgraded to 2.6 that problem was gone. May try a complete uninstall of crunch and reinstall if you haven't already.
    05-11-10 06:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD