Does anybody know of any free or somewhat cheap crossword puzzles app. for blackberry??? i found one but it had a monthly fee....
    04-18-08 12:01 AM
    Does anybody know of any free or somewhat cheap crossword puzzles app. for blackberry??? i found one but it had a monthly fee....
    May I ask what product you found, because we released a Crossword app a few weeks ago.
    04-18-08 08:19 AM
    jymkym1
    Amanda
    Welcome to CB.
    04-18-08 06:38 PM
    Yea I would like that kinda of app. I already have sodoku but that would be nice too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-08 08:00 AM
    Yea I would like that kinda of app. I already have sodoku but that would be nice too.
    Take a look at Crossword Cafe on m.skwdm.com when you have a minute. Let us know what you think!
    04-21-08 03:06 PM
    Your crossword puzzles do work nicely.
    04-21-08 03:16 PM
    couldnt access the site...says unable to handle your request..

-db
    04-21-08 03:50 PM
    couldnt access the site...says unable to handle your request..

-db

Hmmm. After verifying on our Pearls, the wap site is working. Would you mind trying again. If you get the same error please let us know the exact url used and the full text of any errors and their format (pop up, web page, etc)? Thank you for your help!
    04-22-08 02:24 PM
    We are sorry, but we are unable to download crosswords because we haven't tested it yet with you phone (BB8130 'Pearl') and service provider (Alltel).

Oh well
    04-22-08 03:18 PM
    While I can definitely understand the need for subscription-based apps, it gets to be a little annoying, especially when looking for an app like this (as I have been).

Consider my POV for a moment: I already subscribe to the NYT and WSJ, and as part of that subscription I have access to download the NYT crossword puzzle files for use in puzzle programs. This has worked nicely when I used Palm OS devices, Windows Mobile devices (still use an HTC Touch Pro), and even Symbian OS (also use a Nokia E71), but not the Blackberry OS. I realize I'm new to this platform, and that perhaps the architecture doesn't allow for such a thing (though I don't see why it shouldn't), but I'm used to one-time pricing.

I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers; I know some Blackberry users are sensitive to any form of criticism to the device, but does anyone else see this from my point of view?

More to the point, is there such an app out there that does what I'm looking for?
    01-20-09 09:01 AM
    PDADoc

I definitely see your point. I think that for some purposes the subscription model is, well, it can get expensive. No, not just the one application, but everyone is now trying this model and the "small" monthly fee each one charges begins to add up to a tidy sum of money.
    01-20-09 09:15 AM
    Yes, and it adds up quickly, increasing an already relatively high TCO.

But, on a personal note, with regard to the crosswords app, I would feel like I'm paying for something twice: once for the newspaper subscriptions that allow me access to the puzzles, and again (monthly) to even use them. Like I said, I don't mind paying once for an app to do this, but to pay monthly --even $2.99-- seems excessive to me.

End of rant. Like you said, more BB app developers seem to be doing this, and my choice will likely be to go back to Windows Mobile.
    01-20-09 09:26 AM
    A lot of other platforms have free crossword games. That's the biggest issue... A lot of other games are non-subscription based though. I wouldn't say that "most" BB developers are going the subscription route at all.
    01-20-09 12:24 PM
    Guess I'll just have to wait until one comes out.
    01-20-09 03:33 PM
    Once a developer comes up with an answer to AcrossLite Mobile (by Binaryfish) apps like this won't get a second look. I pay for the puzzles already through the NY Times Web site - I'll just have to keep working them on my desktop until someone realizes there's money to be made with a good .PUZ client for the Storm.
    02-03-09 12:45 PM
    I used a great app for my Blackberry 8830. It is called Xword and was created by Karl Isaac. karlisaac.com/xword/

It worked excellent and was a one time fee of $14.99

I have since tried to download it from his website to see if it will work on the Storm, but the links seem to be broken. Not sure if he was forced to stop selling his app or not.

I too, prefer a one time fee for the app as I am already paying a subscription fee for access to the crosswords (specifically NYTimes).

Unfortunately I can't find any app (even if subscription based) that will work on the 9530 Storm. That seems extremely odd to me. I have tried three different apps (the only one i can remember was bplay?) and none of them supported the 9530Storm.
    Crazy!!!
    02-26-09 10:06 AM
    I found this cw app just today seems hunky dory ,just that I think this cw app is favoring people of the uk because some of the clues seemed well not very american in their explanation.

02-02-10 06:51 PM
    I found this cw app just today seems hunky dory ,just that I think this cw app is favoring people of the uk because some of the clues seemed well not very american in their explanation. Mobile crosswords | Crossword | guardian.co.uk

02-02-10 06:52 PM
    Ok part people I have been running the app I mentioned and it is ok. I say because I've never ran a cw app on any mobile device but to me it seems good. It totaly free and the part about uk style engliish I'm not sure what was going on but I was under the impresion that the app was using something other that standard U.S english.

02-02-10 07:31 PM
    I have this problem while trying to get new crosswords

0 crossword(s) downloaded.
    0 crossword(s) added to the archive.
    ( Size occupied: 4% of 65536 bytes. )
    Your network provider may not allow Java applications to access the Internet. To get more crosswords, you simply download the application again, using the link that has been sent to you when you first subscribed.

If any one knows a way around this can you please help me out?

02-02-10 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD