04-09-14 06:21 AM
1,625 ... 4950515253 ...
tools
    I've followed all of the steps as laid out in the first post on how to upgrade using Crackmem. After hitting execute and then clicking the DM button DM loads and connects to my device, but then does nothing else. Any ideas? I've looked for the RemovedFiles folder people are talking about and don't see that anywhere. I'm stumped. Thanks in advance.
    06-06-09 12:55 AM
    I've followed all of the steps as laid out in the first post on how to upgrade using Crackmem. After hitting execute and then clicking the DM button DM loads and connects to my device, but then does nothing else. Any ideas? I've looked for the RemovedFiles folder people are talking about and don't see that anywhere. I'm stumped. Thanks in advance.
    The Help file in CrackMem is exceptionally well written and informative. Check the section titled UPGRADING YOUR OS USING CRACKMEM for a suggested solution to this problem.
    06-06-09 01:03 AM
    The Help file in CrackMem is exceptionally well written and informative. Check the section titled UPGRADING YOUR OS USING CRACKMEM for a suggested solution to this problem.
    Jeff,

When I open up the advanced options under device application selection all there is is the applications that I have chose to keep on my phone. I am using DM 4.6, is that a problem? I have tried disconnecting from the internet as well with no luck.
    06-06-09 01:10 AM
    Jeff,

When I open up the advanced options under device application selection all there is is the applications that I have chose to keep on my phone. I am using DM 4.6, is that a problem? I have tried disconnecting from the internet as well with no luck.
    DM 4.6 is the recommended version of Desktop Manager. DM 4.7 requires the internet disconnect work-around, DM 4.6 does not. Are you sure you have the OS that you are trying to install, installed on your PC? Does CrackMem confirm that it is seeing the OS? Did you follow the instructions in the reference I gave you above?
    06-06-09 01:15 AM
    DM 4.6 is the recommended version of Desktop Manager. DM 4.7 requires the internet disconnect work-around, DM 4.6 does not. Are you sure you have the OS that you are trying to install, installed on your PC? Does CrackMem confirm that it is seeing the OS? Did you follow the instructions in the reference I gave you above?
    Crackmem definitely recognizes that the OS I am trying to install is there. I have clicked the confirm OS selection followed by the removal of all modules, including the vendor file. Click the execute button followed by the DM button and nothing happens. I have followed everything to a T.

*Edit - Turns out that i had to manually go in and delete the vendor file from the AppLoader folder.
    Last edited by borlax; 06-06-09 at 03:01 AM.
    06-06-09 01:21 AM
    Unrelated problem (Vista OS use) but absolutely true... great Help File.
    06-06-09 07:01 AM
    Crackmem definitely recognizes that the OS I am trying to install is there. I have clicked the confirm OS selection followed by the removal of all modules, including the vendor file. Click the execute button followed by the DM button and nothing happens. I have followed everything to a T.

*Edit - Turns out that i had to manually go in and delete the vendor file from the AppLoader folder.
    Pete's Explanation of the CrackMem Bug, from a post on 1/27/2009 ...
    Try deleting the RemovedFiles folder from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion. There is a known bug in all versions of CrackMem (that will shortly get fixed) which prevents files being deleted from the OS Java folder if and only if there is an existing same filename already in the RemovedFile+OSname folder. This happens when you try to upgrade to the same OS twice and have reinstalled the OS on your PC thus creating an available 2nd copy of the file.

I just never thought of this when we wrote the program.
    Sorry, I was too sleepy at 2:00am to remember this. I'm repeating it here, just to make it easier for the next guy to find.
    06-06-09 07:17 AM
    I will also add that if you are dual booting xp and vista you have to delete the removedfiles folder on both partitions of the drive or it will not remove the files from the java folder.
    06-07-09 01:43 PM
    crackmem did delete some files into a new removedfiles folder, but when i installed a new os for my bb, ringtons,themes and etc were there as before. so nothing done with crackmem.
    what should i do, delete files manually?
    06-09-09 05:16 PM
    I took a look at the change log in the first post and it appears CrackMem has not been updated since the 8900 was released. I know Pete had to make some mods to accomodate the Bold. It may be some file names changed in the 8900 as well. You can use CrackUtil to remove files manually.
    06-09-09 09:55 PM
    so I carefully followed bmcclure937's advanced "proper upgrade/downgrade procedure" thread which includes using crackmem, but crackmem help files say very little about wiping when installing a new OS. I just went through the procedure without wiping, which seems to have worked fine (going to os 4.5.0.160 on an 8830) but didn't do a wipe because neither the upgrade instructions or the crackmem instructions quite covered when to integrate this step (plus the constant fearmongering about bricking the phone).

So, I could do it again and this time wipe, but I'm just interested in when this step is supposed to be integrated?

jack
    06-10-09 09:56 AM
    so I carefully followed bmcclure937's advanced "proper upgrade/downgrade procedure" thread which includes using crackmem, but crackmem help files say very little about wiping when installing a new OS. I just went through the procedure without wiping, which seems to have worked fine (going to os 4.5.0.160 on an 8830) but didn't do a wipe because neither the upgrade instructions or the crackmem instructions quite covered when to integrate this step (plus the constant fearmongering about bricking the phone).

So, I could do it again and this time wipe, but I'm just interested in when this step is supposed to be integrated?

jack
    Jack, don't worry about it - your phone is backed up, wiped, and restored as part of the normal upgrade process. So you don't have to wipe it first, unless you really want to. I never do, and have never had a problem.
    06-10-09 10:00 AM
    crackmem cannot find operating system. what did i do wrong
    06-10-09 11:26 AM
    You have to download the BlackBerry OS to your PC and install it as an application on your PC before CrackMem or the Desktop Manager can use it. The OS download will be an exe file. Download it to your PC desktop and double-click it to install it. Then CrackMem and DM can use it. The OS you install on your PC has to exactly match the version on your phone, or be the version you intend to upgrade to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 11:30 AM
    thanks LDubs--although in the past I've had a problem with stray bits hanging around (and the proper upgrade procedure is so emphatic about doing a wipe) that it seemed like a good idea, it just oddly wasn't exactly a step in the crackmem protocol.
    06-10-09 12:58 PM
    McClure was trying to create a bullet-proof step-by-step procedure. For the most part he succeeded, but wiping the previous OS from the phone is not necessary, unless you are recovering a phone with a corrupted OS. In that case it's best to be sure you really are starting from a clean slate.

06-10-09 02:23 PM
    Hi there. I just bought a storm 9530 last week and it has .148 installed. What am I doing wrong that whenever I open this up it says it cannot find an OS?

thanks
    06-10-09 03:03 PM
    thanx Jeff that was really fast. now how do i find out which OS I am using?
    06-10-09 03:14 PM
    46paintball: look at the answer I gave dootchmcgootch above. It's your answer too.

Dootch: Help About will tell you your OS version. It's likely either .75 or .148

06-10-09 04:07 PM
    Hi,

I tried to search but can't figure out why after i reconnect to DM 4.7 and try to sync, DM tries to reinstall the 4.7 Core applications and some other programs.

It did this three times between last night and this morning, rewriting the files on my BB and in some cases, doing a backup and reinstall. It took 15 minutes, the first time, 1 hour the second time and 15 minutes the third time. Everytime i hook up to to DM it seems to want to install something regarding 4.7 applications.

I have disconnected from the internet and my memory has dropped from 50 to 40MB after these updates.

Note, over the last two months before my wipe, i sync my data to my computer every night and if i am prompted to update my DM software i would say YES. Not sure if it is updating DM or phone software.

Please help.

Thanks.
    06-12-09 02:36 PM
    cheers for the upgrade guide, my 8310 now running 4.5
    06-12-09 07:06 PM
    Hi,

I tried to search but can't figure out why after i reconnect to DM 4.7 and try to sync, DM tries to reinstall the 4.7 Core applications and some other programs.

It did this three times between last night and this morning, rewriting the files on my BB and in some cases, doing a backup and reinstall. It took 15 minutes, the first time, 1 hour the second time and 15 minutes the third time. Everytime i hook up to to DM it seems to want to install something regarding 4.7 applications.

I have disconnected from the internet and my memory has dropped from 50 to 40MB after these updates.

Note, over the last two months before my wipe, i sync my data to my computer every night and if i am prompted to update my DM software i would say YES. Not sure if it is updating DM or phone software.

Please help.

Thanks.
    There are so many problems caused by DM 4.7 attempting to upgrade the OS that experienced users recommend using DM 4.6. The update you are being prompted to make is to your device software. If you have manually upgraded to the version you want, the correct response is to continue clicking NO.
    06-12-09 08:14 PM
    Figured it out. By removing the media with CrackMem, that caused DM to try and restore the missing files.

I wish there was a way to remove the media and NOT have DM try to restore.

Thanks for your help JeffH.
    06-12-09 08:56 PM
    I got to be that guy... Where is it? There is no link for the zip in the first post.

06-13-09 10:48 PM
    I got to be that guy... Where is it? There is no link for the zip in the first post.

That's because you are posting from WAP. You can only see the zip file when using a PC browser. That is not an operational restriction, since CrackMem runs on your PC, not your BB, and can't be installed OTA anyway.
    06-13-09 10:52 PM
1,625 ... 4950515253 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD