04-09-14 06:21 AM
1,625 ... 4849505152 ...
tools
    Just finished using CrackMem to upgrade to 4.5.0.160. If you follow the process from the very first post and aren't running other programs in the background during the upgrade, you should have a flawless OS upgrade in about 30 minutes or there about (that's how long mine took).
    05-29-09 02:25 PM
    I just used crackmem to upgrade to .266 everything was fine. I have windows vista. However, my desktop manager had an error so i reinstalled the DM, the device software and crackmem and deleted the vendor file and vvm. now when I plug in my phone and it checks for upgraded applications is comes up with adding visual voicemail. Is this a normal problem? Does crackmem only work once when you upgrade? I've tried reinstalling all three applications multiple times and i get the desktop manager wanting to install Visual VoiceMail everytime. When I did the original upgrade that box did not appear after it was complete only after reinstalling everything. Thank you.
    05-29-09 09:56 PM
    If you reinstalled your device software, you reinstalled the modules you removed with CrackMem. That would explain why DM is trying to reinstall them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 10:08 PM
    Even if I went back into CrackMem selected Remove Visual VoiceMail and hit Execute three times?
    05-29-09 10:08 PM
    I mean i kept selecting remove with each new install (which was three times)
    05-29-09 10:09 PM
    Are you using the autoupdate feature in DM 4.7?
    05-29-09 10:12 PM
    No DM 4.6.
    05-29-09 10:13 PM
    when i reinstalled all three applications again I went through the CrackMem procedures and selected remove vvm and vendor file. I even searched my computer and found the vvm files in a "removed files" folder in the Research in Motion folder. Should I delete this folder?
    05-29-09 10:15 PM
    Deleting the folder didn't help
    05-29-09 10:16 PM
    Awe, recover that from your recycle bin before you loose it.
    05-29-09 10:28 PM
    When you ran DM Apploader, did it ask you whether you wanted to remove those apps.
    05-29-09 10:30 PM
    I fixed the problem. If anyone else encounters this, what you have to do is uninstall the device software, then go back into the common files/research in motion and delete the "Removed Files" folder. Then reload OS and run CrackMem and now it is working. Sorry everyone for posting this. I hope this helps someone else who decides to reload everything. It seems the "Removed Files" folder stays on PC.
    05-29-09 10:34 PM
    And when the removed folder stays on the PC it prevents Crackmem from deleting them again.
    05-29-09 10:35 PM
    Hi Pete,
    I have an 8830WE and I downloaded your Crackmem program. When I started it, it isn't showing any OS's at all! I figured that was because mine was the most recent. I checked all the items I wanted deleted and clicked "Execute" and it told me I had to choose an OS!?!? There's no OS in that box at all. Thanks, Sean
    05-30-09 02:59 AM
    Hi Pete,
    I have an 8830WE and I downloaded your Crackmem program. When I started it, it isn't showing any OS's at all! I figured that was because mine was the most recent. I checked all the items I wanted deleted and clicked "Execute" and it told me I had to choose an OS!?!? There's no OS in that box at all. Thanks, Sean
    You need to have the OS Downloaded and Installed on your PC. Then when you start CrackMem it will be found. Select the OS, choose the files to be deleted, and execute.
    05-30-09 04:00 AM
    (8830WE)Ok, I must be missing something and I believe the frustration of having a "smart" phone that I can't load anything on to isn't helping. So I went to the BB site for updating your OS. It says I'm running the most up to date OS. My Desktop Manager is v4.7. When I fire up crackmem, a message still comes up saying it can't find an OS. It can't be this difficult. I think in my frustration I must be passing over something crucial but I'm just not seeing the "pictures and sock-puppets".
    I'll read through it again. Should I be downloading older OS's? I'm sure it'll be a useful device once I get it figured out.
    05-31-09 01:56 AM
    Ok, I just read the help file (nicely done). Tell me if I'm understanding this correctly...I'm going to download the OS to my pc. I'm currently using v4.5.0.138. Even if it's the same OS, I download it and then Crackmem is going to remove the various modules I select from the downloaded OS and then install that modified version on my phone? Sorry for "thinking out loud", just trying to understand what the heck I'm doing.
    05-31-09 03:16 AM
    Ok, I downloaded the OS, shut off my internet, ran the crackmem and it saw the OS. I confirmed it, selected the modules I wanted deleted (which was just about all of em), executed and it said it was done in a second. Once I clicked to finish, it started removing the files, etc. Once I disconnected my BB from the laptop, I went to 'options' then clicked 'about' and nothing comes up. It does nothing.
    I have a program called Aerize Optimizer on it that shows how much memory I have. After the crackmem job it's showing:
    All: 8MB of 47MB (17%)
    Code: 10MB (27087)
    RAM: 5MB (59592)
    Persistant: 10MB (26955)
    Transient: 10MB (3345)
    Objects: 123k (243712)
    I'm hoping those mean something to someone
    The phone still stalls or runs sluggish and takes a long time to respond to simple commands like the "back" button, etc. Maybe I have too much loaded on it? I have Pandora, VZ AppZone, V Store Widget (verizon wireless thing), Ticketmaster app for purchasing concert tickets, VZ Navigator, Aerize Card Loader and Aerize Optimizer. The only thing "running" is that optimizer. It's frustrating that they (Blackberry) brag about all the wonderful applications available for their phones but they fail to tell you that if you download more than 2, you're screwed!
    I'm all ears! Thank you in advance for your advice.
    05-31-09 04:52 AM
    I apologize for posting this question here, I dont see how to start a new post. My question is, what's with the PIN#'s? I know it's an identifier for my specific device, I'm assuming like a license plate. But why do people post their PIN's? Is there a gismo that lets you address a message to a certain PIN? Thanks
    05-31-09 05:07 AM
    Twstlok,
    You were doing great, but stopped too soon. After you executed CrackMem, which moves the unwanted files to a new folder "RemovedFiles", you needed to launch Desktop Manager. Then Application Loader should start, and it should prompt you to remove the moved files from your device. Simply open CrackMem again and select the Desktop Manager button, or you should be able to open Desktop Manager directly and select Application Loader to complete the operation. If your using version 4.7 of DM, disable the automatic update feature before you begin, or it will seek out the files you just removed, and accomplish nothing.
    Your PIN is a unique identifier used for many applications. It's used by the Desktop Manager to recognize your device, so you could have many devices and each one would be seen as it's own. It's used by applications to identify your registration. It's used by BlackBerry Messenger to identify you. It's used to do Pin to Pin email which bypasses the RIM servers, and I'm sure I'm leaving a few other things out.
    05-31-09 05:30 AM
    Hi!

I almost got to the end now.

I have my 8900 with .250 OS just installed. My crackmem recognizes de OS and DM (4.7) recognized and syncs ok the Curve.

I select modules that should not be installed and click DM but no update is started. I got my internet connection off so no update is done.

What am I doing wrong?

Thx....
    06-02-09 10:35 AM
    Hi!

I almost got to the end now.

I have my 8900 with .250 OS just installed. My crackmem recognizes de OS and DM (4.7) recognized and syncs ok the Curve.

I select modules that should not be installed and click DM but no update is started. I got my internet connection off so no update is done.

What am I doing wrong?

Thx....
    I have to same problem. I went to the Loader file on my C drive and did not see a "removedfiles" folder". It appears that the files are not being removed evnethough Crackmem tells me that it was done.Any suggestions?
    06-02-09 11:55 AM
    I’m seeing a similar issue too with some files not being removed.

I have a Storm 9530.

Crackmen worked great with the leaked version .148. But when I tried it with the official release (.148) from Verizon it’s not removing any of the files in the java folder. It is removing the vendor.xml file though from the AppLoader folder. I see the removedfiles folder, and all the files are in there from what I can tell, but it’s just not removing (deleting) the files from the Java folder like it did before. Am I missing something?
    06-03-09 08:54 AM
    I recall seeing that issue before. I thought Pete had fixed it. I think what is happening is that CrackMem is not removing the files from the java folder because it is seeing them in the Removed Files folder already. Delete the Removed Files folder. If I'm right, that will solve the problem. CrackMem will create a new Removed Files folder and move the files correctly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 09:21 AM
    Thanks Jeff!! That fixed it. Never thought about deleting the removedfiles folder and trying again. You the man!!
    06-03-09 01:11 PM
1,625 ... 4849505152 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD