I guess that they must have put BrickBreaker in one of the other files. I was told that removing the files would not remove this game. I don't have a Bold so have no way to check. I am sorry about that.

The only thing that I can do is to remove the text that refers to Brickbreaker and to put in another button that uses your work around.

Thanks for letting me know and for finding a work around.
    Confirming the problem. If files
    net_rim_device_apps_games_brickbreaker.cod
    net_rim_device_apps_games_brickbreaker9000Resource s.cod

are removed from the ...\Java folder then Brickbreaker is not recognised and WILL be removed by apps loader.

Pete, these are standalone files in the installed OS Java folder. Brickbreaker is not wrapped with anything else, just these 2 files which need to be left alone.

There are a few other little gremlins in .29, but they are generally not critical so far, just a few .cod files which are tagged by more than one button. I'll try to do some more testing in the next few days and push the findings back to you.

FWIW you don't actually need a specific device for most CrackMem testing. Just install the OS and run CrackMem against it with only a single checkbox set. Then go look in Removed Files and see what it pulled.

And FWIW I still think 'Put it back' should unset all the checkboxes so they reflect the state of the OS.
    11-06-08 05:46 PM
    What's happening is that everytime I click on the DM button in CrackMem, my phone is not being detected by DM. If I close DM and open DM using my desktop shortcut, my phone is detected but the changes I made using CrackMem are not applied.
    I have to guess because I only run XP and can't run Vista here - incompatibility with several critical apps for my business use.

Your report suggests a choice of possible problems. See if any of these makes any sense

(a) you are setting checkboxes in CrackMem but the removal process fails. When the Execute button is clicked it should move all the unwanted files from
    Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\<OSname>\Java
    into
    Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\RemovedFiles\<OSname>

Look at these folders and see if files are getting moved.

(b) You don't say where you are but T-Mobile is international and has more users outside USA than within. If your PC uses path names for a non-English install of Windows it may break CrackMem.

(c) Somehow you have 2 installs of the BB OS to different paths, one is seen by CrackMem and the other is seen by Apps Loader.
    11-06-08 06:04 PM
    I'm having problems running CrackMem on Vista x64. These are the steps that I am taking:

(1) Connect BlackBerry Curve 8320 to PC
    (2) Open DM and make sure phone can connect
    (3) Close DM and open CrackMem
    (4) Confirm OS and check off modules to be removed
    (5) Execute Selections and hit OK on dialogue box that pops up
    (6) Click DM button on CrackMem program
    (7) Close CrackMem when DM opens

What's happening is that everytime I click on the DM button in CrackMem, my phone is not being detected by DM. If I close DM and open DM using my desktop shortcut, my phone is detected but the changes I made using CrackMem are not applied.

I have enabled compatibility mode and also run CrackMem as an admistrator.

Any ideas?
    It sounds like you are doing everything right.

If you ignore CrackMem and just connect your phone to the USB port and then run Desktop Manager, is the phone now recognised? If not, then there is another problem. I can't see how CrackMem can cause this as it never goes near any DM functons other than running it.

Please let me know how you get on.
    11-07-08 02:26 AM
    Confirming the problem. If files
    net_rim_device_apps_games_brickbreaker.cod
    net_rim_device_apps_games_brickbreaker9000Resource s.cod

are removed from the ...\Java folder then Brickbreaker is not recognised and WILL be removed by apps loader.

Pete, these are standalone files in the installed OS Java folder. Brickbreaker is not wrapped with anything else, just these 2 files which need to be left alone.

There are a few other little gremlins in .29, but they are generally not critical so far, just a few .cod files which are tagged by more than one button. I'll try to do some more testing in the next few days and push the findings back to you.

FWIW you don't actually need a specific device for most CrackMem testing. Just install the OS and run CrackMem against it with only a single checkbox set. Then go look in Removed Files and see what it pulled.

And FWIW I still think 'Put it back' should unset all the checkboxes so they reflect the state of the OS.
    I will talk with the programmer and see how easy this is to do. My guess is that it will not happen until around Christmas as I am up to my eyeballs in work - just bad planning.

Thanks for the file info.
    11-07-08 02:30 AM
    I will talk with the programmer and see how easy this is to do. My guess is that it will not happen until around Christmas as I am up to my eyeballs in work - just bad planning.

Thanks for the file info.
    That's OK, it gives us time to get the scheme right and tested.
    11-07-08 03:42 AM
    branta, Have you been able to remove the Bold audio files (the copeland stuff?) I removed the .cod files that seemed to hold them but after doing a "BrickMyBerry" and a reinstall they're still there! (Along with all the stupid ringtones and sample pictures that come with the AT&T Bold). Argh...
    11-09-08 03:37 AM
    They removed OK, BMW photos, demo music are all gone. It looks like you must do a complete reinstall of the OS to force removal from the device. The clue is the much longer duration of reload - if apps loader completes in less than 10 minutes it was too fast. The full reinstall happened automatically for me when I went from .162 to .167

You can't dump the smaller copeland ringtones easily because they are in the same .cod file with all the other smaller tones. The 2 monsters are in a file of their own and should not reinstall if you move the source. However they don't remove from your phone (because they are already extracted from the .cod) unless you do a full wipe and reinstall. (not the quick top-up you get if there is no change to the core OS)

My phone still has the copeland ringtones from sonic...high_2 because I missed finding them for the last install. Next time, they're toast.

The other stuff I still have to find in the source is the garbage which goes into device memory, in path /device/system/samples. Several MBytes of bloatware icons for folders, pictures for contacts hides here along with the ringtones - and they are all locked and undeletable.
    11-09-08 10:26 AM
    It sounds like you are doing everything right.

If you ignore CrackMem and just connect your phone to the USB port and then run Desktop Manager, is the phone now recognised? If not, then there is another problem. I can't see how CrackMem can cause this as it never goes near any DM functons other than running it.

Please let me know how you get on.

I dont know if it makes a difference or not, or if Im misunderstand the last step, I have always closed crackmem THEN opened DM and gone ahead..
    11-09-08 12:04 PM
    Good stuff Pete.

Not sure if it was mentioned or if it is just user error (me), but the button to run Desktop Manager doesn't seem to work for DM 4.6. It opens DM up, but I get an error and it does not connect to my Bold. I then exited and opened through my desktop and it connected.
    11-09-08 11:54 PM
    Wow... did I just lose brickbreaker! Can someone send me the files please?... Yikes!
    11-10-08 12:47 AM
    @Jayden0606: look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles\Your OS Folder
    11-10-08 06:06 AM
    Good stuff Pete.

Not sure if it was mentioned or if it is just user error (me), but the button to run Desktop Manager doesn't seem to work for DM 4.6. It opens DM up, but I get an error and it does not connect to my Bold. I then exited and opened through my desktop and it connected.
    Unless you have managed to get 2 parallel installs of DM on your PC I think its a glitch in DM or Windows. I see the same sometimes even without CrackMem in the frame, but not yet worked out where the problem starts. some combination of restarting PC and phone usually clears the problem.

Thinking... I seem to see it more often when I have already used DM for backup, then try to go back to it for Apps Loader.
    11-10-08 06:44 AM
    I am getting a problem when trying to install the software when I BRICK my pearl (8110). It says unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage operation. All i wanted to do was install the operating system for the phone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    11-10-08 02:44 PM
    I am getting a problem when trying to install the software when I BRICK my pearl (8110). It says unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage operation. All i wanted to do was install the operating system for the phone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    This is not a CrackMem problem. It is a USB problem. Here are some resources that wil hopefully you help out.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/unab...eration-73368/
    BlackBerry Search Results
    BlackBerry Search Results
    11-10-08 03:10 PM
    @Jayden0606: look in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles\Your OS Folder
    Thans for picking this one Sgt. I am rushed off my feet right now. I was all weekend at a trade show and now I am pedaling like crazy to catch up with my customers. I run my own IT biz and have generated loads of new customers which, is a good thing but, it does not leave much time for Crack-things.

Jaden, there is also a PutItBack button which should (it better had) restore the files in the Java folder to the way things were before you used CrackMem. It try very hard NEVER to actually delete anything. I only move files to another folder. This file is as sgt_d correctly points oit RemovedFiles. Move means copy_to_new + delete_from_original.

If you have the time, the Help file explains in great detail (try to stay awake) exactly what CrackMem gets up to.
    Last edited by Pete6; 11-10-08 at 04:27 PM.
    11-10-08 03:13 PM
    I dont know if it makes a difference or not, or if Im misunderstand the last step, I have always closed crackmem THEN opened DM and gone ahead..
    I shold not matter. CrackMem has a launch bitton for DM and I have never had trouble with it but not all PCs are like my ones here. I am runnign 4.6 and 4.5 on XP an Vista 32 across 5 systems (mainly for testing CrackMem).

I am puzzled by this one.
    11-10-08 03:16 PM
    i was able to restore the phone but it has the 2.6.0.53 platform on it somehow. How would i be able to get it back to at&t platform?
    11-10-08 03:24 PM
    i dont think this program will ever stop evolving

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-08 03:32 PM
    Pete, I'm recommending this app to a new person to remove some 3rd party app and save them for later use. Anything she need to know to make it go well?

11-10-08 05:20 PM
    it won't remove a 3rd party app, unless you wipe the berry

11-10-08 05:21 PM
    finally got it to work thanks
    11-10-08 05:43 PM
    benzworm is correct. CrackMem only works on .cod files that are in the Java folder. Even then it functions by removing them so that the alx files can't install them. The only apps that CrackMem can remove are the ones on the menu. It cannot remove any other files.

To remove unwanted not-installed-by-the-OS apps first use either Options, Advanced Options, Applications, Menu, Delete or Desktop Manager. If these fail then it may not be an app and could be Service Bok related.

Finally use CrackUtil to remove the file from the phone but only do this as a last resort.
    11-10-08 05:51 PM
    Pete, I'm recommending this app to a new person to remove some 3rd party app and save them for later use. Anything she need to know to make it go well?

Yes. There's a backup procedure for third party apps documented somewhere so they are saved to the PC. Something to do with using the Device Switch Wizard and renaming folders IIRC. Search the message boards here, probably in Howto.

As Benz says, CrackMem will *NOT remove and backup or save*. It only controls what gets *installed* from the OS install folder. Destop Manager is the place to add and remove for third party apps, but DM only allows you to install addins it knows about.
    11-10-08 05:51 PM
    I'm sorry guys I meant themes. Lol, I am so used to writing app after 3rd party.

11-10-08 06:37 PM
    I have a little experience removing/deleting
    apps, hahaha

11-10-08 06:39 PM
1,625 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD