04-09-14 06:21 AM
1,625 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    hehe, thanks. Got it.

If you see any new .cod files or groups of files that need removing prior to installation, then please let me know. I have my programmer coming over on Monday or Wednesday to make a few minor changes to CrackPic and CrackUtil (tried that yet?) so I can add changes to CrackMem too.

I am still thinking about the multi-national stuff. It should be doable but will add one more dimension to the testing matrix and that scares me.

What I might do is the have a look at the DOS environment variable %ProgramFiles% (from a cmd windows type 'set' and the envivonment variables are displayed). If these variables are the same across different languages (I have a WIndows XP system in French here) then I may be able to pick that up.
    The environment variable you really want is probably 'CommonProgramFiles' which points to 'C:\Program Files\Common Files' an an English installation. I can't find where this is set by the OS. However this is solution is a technical kludge, and the registry route should be more reliable actross platforms and languages. I don't think it should add much to the testing, I would probably use it as a breakout function to get the Common Files path info and inject it in much the same way you handle from an environmet variable. The real difference with going to registry is you can also enumerate the entries and find the declared paths for correctly installed OS builds - the same data which will be used by the RIM software, instead of using hard coded assumptions.

File movements... I have just ripped the directory listings to show how CrackMem moved them for my .167 install as a BIS system with UK English. Should be attached here. I could probably have moved most of the unwanted language support files by hand but it was easier to make sure they were deselected in App Loader.

FWIW I also deselected most of the games in AL. I missed Sudoku and Brickbreaker had to stay, but wordmole and klondyke paid the price as bloatware.
    Last edited by branta; 11-13-08 at 02:29 PM.
    10-25-08 08:46 AM
    Oh, and would you please point out to the chief hacker that the red icon with white 'x' is for Critical alerts and not appropriate for a yes/no or ok/cancel dialog. That annoyed the programmer in me
    10-25-08 08:50 AM
    Oh, and would you please point out to the chief hacker that the red icon with white 'x' is for Critical alerts and not appropriate for a yes/no or ok/cancel dialog. That annoyed the programmer in me
    Where is the red icon? We just used the defaults from Delphi. I hate annoying programmers - others, not so much.
    10-25-08 10:59 AM
    The environment variable you really want is probably 'CommonProgramFiles' which points to 'C:\Program Files\Common Files' an an English installation. I can't find where this is set by the OS. However this is solution is a technical kludge, and the registry route should be more reliable actross platforms and languages. I don't think it should add much to the testing, I would probably use it as a breakout function to get the Common Files path info and inject it in much the same way you handle from an environmet variable. The real difference with going to registry is you can also enumerate the entries and find the declared paths for correctly installed OS builds - the same data which will be used by the RIM software, instead of using hard coded assumptions.

File movements... I have just ripped the directory listings to show how CrackMem moved them for my .167 install as a BIS system with UK English. Should be attached here. I could probably have moved most of the unwanted language support files by hand but it was easier to make sure they were deselected in App Loader.

FWIW I also deselected most of the games in AL. I missed Sudoku and Brickbreaker had to stay, but wordmole and klondyke paid the price as bloatware.
    Still not sure about the multi-language stuff but I WILL look at it. I can't fully remember how we did the path stuff as it got complicated with Vista 64 and multi-boot systems. We went through several program revs before it worked as today.

The files you sent me will go in next week. Thanks. Were the games in net_rim_bb_medialoader_480x320_b.cod? If not, where?
    10-25-08 11:06 AM
    To begin, In CM v2.7, just hit the DM button. The confirmation dialog is

Error: Run Desktop Manager?

Sure I saw a few others but I can't find them now.

I'll try to work out the games thing and what lives where in the cod files. No promises without a lot of reinstalling to see what loads.
    10-25-08 11:57 AM
    To begin, In CM v2.7, just hit the DM button. The confirmation dialog is

Error: Run Desktop Manager?

Sure I saw a few others but I can't find them now.

I'll try to work out the games thing and what lives where in the cod files. No promises without a lot of reinstalling to see what loads.
    You are right. I'll get that fixed. It's a small thing but it is not the correct image for that action. Thanks.
    10-25-08 12:01 PM
    OK, next bit of info. Marvellous what you find by scanning alx and cod files with Wordpad.

The following seem to be removable:

All the tunes including the huge Stuart Copeland demo pair are in net_rim_bb_medialoader_music_480x320_b.cod

All the pictures including the BMW samples are in net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x320_b.cod

Both music and pictures are removed by CM as "Pre-loaded wallpaper". Strange, music isn't wallpaper but what do I care, they're gone.

TMobile Faves is in net_rim_tmo_five.cod, net_rim_tmo_five_lib.cod
    Think this is the TMo icon library, net_rim_bb_medialoader_114_five_icon_library.cod

ATT PTT doesn't seem to be included.

The games are in own cod files,
    Klondike_v46_480x320.cod
    Sudoku_v46_480x320.cod
    Texas Hold'em: THK2_v46_480x320.cod
    Loads of stuff listed under net_rim_device_apps_games_....

There's also Trooper Typing listed in the alx files but didn't find it in the cod files.

The following are NOT removable
    Do not touch:
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks_high.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks_high_2.cod
    // builtin ringtones
    net_rim_cldc.cod // resource files
    net_rim_theme_precision_zen_480x320_b.cod
    // the precision_zen theme seems to be the base theme with all the others modifying it.

<>
    10-25-08 12:44 PM
    This is good stuff. Some of it I already had from the 24 hours that I owned a Bold but not all of it. Thhank you for all your work. I have put your handle into the help text in the credits.

I may not release a radical new version for a month or so. The reason for this is that the current version is stable and works well with OS 4.5 and the Curve. AT&T are just about to release OS 4.5 and I really want a stable version of CrackMem for that event as there will be several thousand people trying to upgrade and many of them will not wish to do so via the OTA link on the Blackberry site.

I will find a way to get you the new version so that you can try it out and give it to a few others. I will make it obvious that the version you have is a beta version - I'll change the background color or something. I'm not tryin to restrict CrackMem. I just want to know what's out there.
    10-25-08 04:23 PM
    When you create a new version, is there a way to "check for update" it from the CrackMem that's already on the computer, or do we have to go & download it all over again?
    10-25-08 05:18 PM
    The only way to find out about a new version is to check my first post in this thread.

Since you have an 8310, future updates will most likely bring mch in the way of enhancements to you until OS 5.0 hits the streets. All the things that branta and I are talking about are for the Bold.
    10-25-08 07:44 PM
    Pete, my friend who is a member here(Rachel0179)really liked the program. Worked like a charm...
    10-25-08 07:47 PM
    Pete, my friend who is a member here(Rachel0179)really liked the program. Worked like a charm...
    That's one more lady that I have pleased. The future looks bright indeed.

I am glad that CrackMem worked for Rachel.
    Last edited by Pete6; 10-25-08 at 08:21 PM.
    10-25-08 08:18 PM
    You gotta great sense of humor Pete. Cheers man...
    10-25-08 08:25 PM
    Pete, will new version upgrade old, or should I delete old before installing new? I've currently got v2.5 installed.
    By the way, have you seen this:
    CRACKMEM.EXE, Prevx
    Silly wabbits, I'll let you decide whether to let them know what it is or keep them guessing!
    10-26-08 08:06 AM
    It should not make any difference. The filenames are all the same so the new installation will just overwrite the old.

However, when testing I uninstall the old version prior to installing the new but I guess that I'm just paranoid and don't trust computers at all.

Thanks for letting me know that my little program has been classified by a bunch of D!ck Heads as a virus. This is a cheap anitivirus company and they make their money by scaring people into buying.

Mind you, RIM may not be too pleased by it. Unless the use it internally.

This little program has taken on a life all of its own. I certainly never expected this picture to show up.

I definitely did not do this.
    Last edited by Pete6; 10-26-08 at 01:35 PM.
    10-26-08 12:26 PM
    hey pete great program but quick question

i deleted the sample background/music and all and i used crackutil to check if its on the phone

but its non on the phone but i still have the preloaded wallpapers and music

what do i do?

for the blackberry bold
    Last edited by doomsdayjohn; 10-26-08 at 06:31 PM.
    10-26-08 06:12 PM
    Pete,
    Thanks for reply, must say I'm paranoid loading programs in Windows too, that's why I asked. Since you delete first, and program stores no backup data, I'll not f'around and delete first too. Really glad you've taken the time to build this package, it definitely works great, I guess even in bootleg Chinese?!?
    Figured you'd get a kick out of those viral dipsticks.
    10-26-08 07:25 PM
    hey pete great program but quick question

i deleted the sample background/music and all and i used crackutil to check if its on the phone

but its non on the phone but i still have the preloaded wallpapers and music

what do i do?

for the blackberry bold
    I do not delete the wallpapers because they are really part of the BBDimension thesmes which are themselves a part of the OS. It is not reccomended to removed the wallpaper since if the theme needs them and they are not there then the phone will crash. Oops.
    10-27-08 05:36 AM
    Pete,
    Thanks for reply, must say I'm paranoid loading programs in Windows too, that's why I asked. Since you delete first, and program stores no backup data, I'll not f'around and delete first too. Really glad you've taken the time to build this package, it definitely works great, I guess even in bootleg Chinese?!?
    Figured you'd get a kick out of those viral dipsticks.
    CrackMem does not delete anything. It MOVEs files from the OS folder to a new folder called RemovedFiles. The PutItBack button is there to reverse any operations. Have a read of the help text. It's all explained in there.
    10-27-08 05:38 AM
    Pete, I was saying I'd delete the CrackMem previous version before installing the latest. Not anything about program itself other than it does not store any data within itself. Sorry to create confusion.
    10-27-08 05:49 AM
    Pete, I was saying I'd delete the CrackMem previous version before installing the latest. Not anything about program itself other than it does not store any data within itself. Sorry to create confusion.
    Nah, it was me. I did not fully read your post. My apologies. More haste, less speed.

Yes, deleting the previous version wil absolutely insure that all traces are removed. If you really want to be sure then delete the CrackMem folder in C:\Program Files. Then you can do a totally 'clean' install.
    10-27-08 06:13 AM
    Assistant Hacker here... with the disposition of ringtones and images in the media support files.

net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks_high.cod 2.5Mbytes contains

<folders>
    <folder src="ringtones/SonicNetworks" dst="samples/ringtones" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="Alarm_Antelope.m4a"/>
    <file name="Alarm_EarlyRiser.m4a"/>
    <file name="Alarm_Electronic.m4a"/>
    <file name="Alarm_HighAlert.m4a"/>
    <file name="Alarm_QuickBell.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBGrooves_Interlude.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBInspired_AsianMorning.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBInspired_Chivalry.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBInspired_Epiphany.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBInspired_NimbleBeat.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBInspired_Orchess.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBPro_Alarm.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBPro_Confirm.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBPro_ElectriCall.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBPro_GungHo.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBPro_Link.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBPro_Sanguine.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBPro_VintageAlarm.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBRelaxed_Gong.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBRelaxed_Levitate.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBRelaxed_LightChime.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBRelaxed_Melodious.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBRelaxed_Pianola.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBRelaxed_Soar.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBRelaxed_Tranquility.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_2Loud.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_BBPro_5.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_BBPro_6.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_BikeBell.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Caffeine.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_ChiGong.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Contentment.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Cricket.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Crystal.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Dimples.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Eager.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Entrance.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_EtVoila.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Greeter.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_LightSpeed.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Lucid.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Magic.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Morning.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Ninja.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Nymph.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Ready.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_SoapBreak.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Sonar.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_Spell.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_StarPortal.m4a"/>
    <file name="Notifier_UFO.m4a"/>
    <file name="Ringer_BBPro_1.m4a"/>
    <file name="Ringer_BBPro_2.m4a"/>
    <file name="Ringer_BBPro_3.m4a"/>
    <file name="Ringer_BBPro_4.m4a"/>
    <file name="Ringer_Bonjour.m4a"/>
    <file name="Ringer_ClassicPhone.m4a"/>
    <file name="Tune_AssemblyLine.mid"/>
    <file name="Tune_BachFugueDMinor.mid"/>
    <file name="Tune_CoolRunnins.mid"/>
    <file name="Tune_Entertainer.mid"/>
    <file name="Tune_Eurotrance.mid"/>
    <file name="Tune_FurElise.mid"/>
    </folder>

net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks_high_2.cod 2.9MBytes contains

<folders>
    <folder src="ringtones/SonicNetworks" dst="samples/ringtones" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="Alarm_Bold_byStewartCopeland.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBGrooves_SmoothLatin.m4a"/>
    <file name="BBRelaxed_StarChime.m4a"/>
    <file name="StewartCopeland_Ringtone1.m4a"/>
    <file name="StewartCopeland_RingTone2.m4a"/>
    <file name="StewartCopeland_Ringtone3.m4a"/>
    <file name="StewartCopeland_Ringtone4.m4a"/>
    <file name="StewartCopeland_Ringtone5.m4a"/>
    <file name="StewartCopeland_Ringtone6.m4a"/>
    <file name="Timer_3beeps.m4a"/>
    <file name="Tune_Calypso.m4a"/>
    <file name="Tune_Down2Business.m4a"/>
    </folder>
    </folders>

And confirming
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_music_480x320_b.cod 2.6MBytes contains only

<folders>
    <folder src="music" dst="samples/music" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="Bold_Stewart_Copeland.m4a"/>
    <file name="MusicDemo_WorldTraveller.m4a"/>
    </folder>
    </folders>

net_rim_bb_medialoader_114_five_icon_library.cod 1.0MBytes contains the following bloatware - only installed to vendor_id 114 which I think is T-Mobile?

<media
    name="net_rim_bb_medialoader_five_icon_library_EU"
    copyright="Research In Motion, 2006-2006"
    security="Open"
    vendor_id="114"
    >

<folders>
    <folder src="pictures/5_icons" root="../net_rim_bb_medialoader_five_icon_library_EU/" dst="home/user/pictures/myFaves icons" writeable="true" system="false" hidden="true" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="acoustic_guitar.jpg"/>
    <file name="airplane.jpg"/>
    <file name="bald_man.jpg"/>
    <file name="baseball_glove.jpg"/>
    <file name="basketball.jpg"/>
    <file name="beer_mug.jpg"/>
    <file name="bicycle.jpg"/>
    <file name="black_hair_girl.jpg"/>
    <file name="black_hair_guy.jpg"/>
    <file name="black_hair_man.jpg"/>
    <file name="bling_chain.jpg"/>
    <file name="blonde_girl.jpg"/>
    <file name="blonde_guy.jpg"/>
    <file name="boat.jpg"/>
    <file name="brunette_girl.jpg"/>
    <file name="buzzcut_man.jpg"/>
    <file name="cards.jpg"/>
    <file name="checkered_flag.jpg"/>
    <file name="clover.jpg"/>
    <file name="computer.jpg"/>
    <file name="cook.jpg"/>
    <file name="cowboy_hat.jpg"/>
    <file name="crown.jpg"/>
    <file name="dark_hair_girl.jpg"/>
    <file name="dice.jpg"/>
    <file name="diva_girl.jpg"/>
    <file name="dog.jpg"/>
    <file name="dolphin.jpg"/>
    <file name="electric_guitar.jpg"/>
    <file name="female_symbol.jpg"/>
    <file name="fishing_lure.jpg"/>
    <file name="football.jpg"/>
    <file name="frizzy_girl.jpg"/>
    <file name="funny_hat_guy.jpg"/>
    <file name="golfball.jpg"/>
    <file name="heart.jpg"/>
    <file name="house.jpg"/>
    <file name="ladybug.jpg"/>
    <file name="latte.jpg"/>
    <file name="male_symbol.jpg"/>
    <file name="martini.jpg"/>
    <file name="mechanic_tools.jpg"/>
    <file name="monkey.jpg"/>
    <file name="mudflap_girl.jpg"/>
    <file name="music_cleff.jpg"/>
    <file name="palm.jpg"/>
    <file name="peace.jpg"/>
    <file name="pink_flower.jpg"/>
    <file name="ponytail_girl.jpg"/>
    <file name="purse.jpg"/>
    <file name="rainbow.jpg"/>
    <file name="school_book.jpg"/>
    <file name="shoe.jpg"/>
    <file name="skateboard.jpg"/>
    <file name="skinny_guy.jpg"/>
    <file name="skull_crossbones.jpg"/>
    <file name="smiley_face.jpg"/>
    <file name="soccer_ball.jpg"/>
    <file name="sunshine.jpg"/>
    <file name="tattoo.jpg"/>
    <file name="theater_masks.jpg"/>
    <file name="video_game.jpg"/>
    <file name="watering_can.jpg"/>
    <file name="white_car.jpg"/>
    <file name="white_cat.jpg"/>
    <file name="wine.jpg"/>
    <file name="work.jpg"/>
    <file name="yingyang.jpg"/>
    </folder>
    </folders>

and the biggest .cod file in the distro net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x320_b.cod contains 6.7 MBytes of bloat for 16 pictures.

<media
    name="net_rim_bb_medialoader_480x320_b"
    copyright="Research In Motion, 2006-2006"
    security="Open"
    target-display="480x320x16"
    series="9000"
    >

<folders>
    <folder src="pictures" dst="samples/pictures" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="BMW_1Series_01.png"/>
    <file name="BMW_1Series_02.png"/>
    <file name="BMW_M3_Coupe.png"/>
    <file name="BMW_M3_Sedan.png"/>
    <file name="Cascade.png"/>
    <file name="Classical.png"/>
    <file name="Dewdrops.png"/>
    <file name="Electric.png"/>
    <file name="Fairway.png"/>
    <file name="Feather.png"/>
    <file name="Passage.png"/>
    <file name="Ripple.png"/>
    <file name="River.png"/>
    <file name="Savannah.png"/>
    <file name="Starfish.png"/>
    <file name="Summit.png"/>
    </folder>
    </folders>

Note:
    Method to find what is in any of the media .cod files,
    Open the .cod in Wordpad.
    Search for string file name=

The filename block as above should be the first hit.
    10-27-08 06:53 AM
    thanks so much for your hard work, program ran perfectly on my verizon/curve.
    10-28-08 03:24 AM
    Nah, it was me. I did not fully read your post. My apologies. More haste, less speed.

Yes, deleting the previous version wil absolutely insure that all traces are removed. If you really want to be sure then delete the CrackMem folder in C:\Program Files. Then you can do a totally 'clean' install.
    I was so tired last night I sent wrong person long passionate message about something person I sent to agree with me totally on. Then followed with note apologizing myself. Sometimes I really wonder about me too!
    10-28-08 04:15 AM
    Assistant Hacker here... with the disposition of ringtones and images in the media support files.

The filename block as above should be the first hit.
    That is a very good tip. Thank you.

I shall incorporate these files into CrackMem.
    10-28-08 05:44 AM
1,625 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD