I haven't seen VAD be spontaneous before, but if you have a large number of contacts (e.g. 1700 like me), VAD takes a verrry long time to index them (which is what its doing). Any possibility a nearby BT headset comes on by itself once the battery gets recharged enough? Although that seems unlikely, in theory it might somehow invoke VAD. Might happen if the cat is crawling around

If you are not comfortable doing an upgrade, don't. The carriers tech folks will likely say the warranty is voided and downgrade you anyway. 4.3.0.127 is the latest for cdma anyway IIRC.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Good ideas and good advise too.
    10-18-08 07:14 AM
    I tried crackmem and selected to remove items and it tells action is complete but it never connected to my bb and the items are still present. What am I doing wrong??
    10-19-08 12:20 PM
    Hey.... I've downloaded crackmem several times and keep getting the same error that the file is invalid and can't unzip the file. Am I doing something wrong or what????
    10-19-08 05:24 PM
    Hey.... I've downloaded crackmem several times and keep getting the same error that the file is invalid and can't unzip the file. Am I doing something wrong or what????
    I just downloaded it and unzipped it without error. Are you downloading it from the first post in the thread?
    10-19-08 07:43 PM
    Yes, I did.... I don't understand what's wrong. It's saying that the file is invalid. It shows that the file is 81 kb.
    10-19-08 08:45 PM
    Yes, I did.... I don't understand what's wrong. It's saying that the file is invalid. It shows that the file is 81 kb.
    Something is hosing your download. The file size is 724k. If you're only getting 81kb, it's not surprising it's invalid.
    10-19-08 09:30 PM
    Something is hosing your download. The file size is 724k. If you're only getting 81kb, it's not surprising it's invalid.
    I'll try again.
    10-19-08 09:47 PM
    I'll try again.
    Nope. It did it again. The zip file shows 81k.
    10-19-08 09:58 PM
    The only thing I can think of is that your ISP is limiting your download size. The file has been downloaded successfully many times.
    10-19-08 10:03 PM
    The only thing I can think of is that your ISP is limiting your download size. The file has been downloaded successfully many times.
    Okay.... got it to load. My only question now is that do I have to load an operating system? I have the .93 installed. I only want to take some of the other items off of the phone.
    10-19-08 10:30 PM
    Yes, you'll have to have the same OS installed on your PC as you have on your phone. CrackMem doesn't take modules off your phone; it removes them from the OS before it's loaded. The process is: Install OS on PC; Run CrackMem to modify the OS; Load the Modified OS on the device.
    10-19-08 10:34 PM
    If .93 is currently installed on your PC then CrackMem will show it in the lefthand panel when it starts. Yu then need to select it with the radio button and then conform the selection. At this point you will see the OS name in blue writing just above the confirm OS selection button.

You may now start removing modules and then press Excecute Selection.

Connect your phone and launch Desktop Manager, launch the Applications Loader and your actions should now begin.

Note that CrackMem was not designed to work in this manner. It was a happy accident when we discovered that it would do this and not all modules are removed by this process.

CrackMem was designed to remove modules prior to installation on the phone and some modules are not removable post-installation.
    10-20-08 12:59 AM
    Okay. I successfully installed the program after several attempts to download the zip file. Don't know what that issue was, but whatever. One more question.... what is the purpose of the docs to go box to change the name. What is the benefit of changing the file that's indicated?
    10-20-08 10:03 PM
    ...One more question... what is the purpose of the docs to go box to change the name. What is the benefit of changing the file that's indicated?
    I'm not trying to give you a short answer, but that's explained in the help file that's part of the app. There's no point in me copying and pasting the text here. If you don't have Docs-to-Go, it won't matter. If you have it, the help file info will make sense if you've tried to upgrade with Docs-to-Go installed.
    10-20-08 11:24 PM
    I'm not trying to give you a short answer, but that's explained in the help file that's part of the app. There's no point in me copying and pasting the text here. If you don't have Docs-to-Go, it won't matter. If you have it, the help file info will make sense if you've tried to upgrade with Docs-to-Go installed.
    Jeff... I do have docs to go installed on my phone since it came with the latest OS (4.5). I wanted to know if it was a positive to change the name as indicated. I read the help text, but I guess I'm still missing it.
    10-22-08 12:54 PM
    The way this whole thing works is this.

DocsToGo is delivered with OS 4.5 and it may optionally be installed on various phones at OS upgrade / installation time.

The installation is managed at this stage by a file called DocumentsToGo.alx.

If you do no more than use DocsToGo as delivered then you need take no further action. The product and the phone will work fine and will interact with Desktop Manager just fine.

Trouble starts when you either download the DocsToGo free upgrade (which most people do) or, you do as I did, and pay for the Premium upgrade.

These upgrades are implemented either via PTA or by a downloaded zip file. In the case of OTA, the files installed on the phone are diferent from the ones installed by the OS install and so (here it comes) the OS installer REMOVES the upgrade and reverts to the old OS installed version of the product thus eliminating the upgrade.

In the case of the downloaded zip file the same thing happens becasue the DocumentsToGo.alx file overrides the files that were downloaded the SECOND time you connect. The first time Desktop Manager finds the upgrade and performs the upgrade. Hwever the next time you connect DM just looks at the OS files and downgrades DocsToGo to the OS supplied level.

When I found this, I was amazed and I called DataViz who make the product and they told me that their approved fix was to rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file to .old.

I did not actually laugh at them but waited until I got off the phone....

I then implemented this in CrackMem.

So now you are fully informed, you may rename or not as you wish. Note that you can always rename the file back to the name originally supplied because I put that functionality in too. That is why there are two buttons.

I hope this helps.
    10-22-08 01:52 PM
    @gabbajoe "The Problem is i think that i don't have the directory sturcter: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion
    my german windows has this folder:
    C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Research In Motion

If i try to create the folder and copie the content from my german path to it:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion"

I am sorry that you are having trouble. There is no fix for your problem and I do not plan one. I have enough trouble keeping the program working for all the various English language versions of WIndows that if I tried to do the same thing for even Western European users, it would be a full time job.

The only fix that I can offer you is that you find an English version of Windows on a PC somewhere. It's the only way I am afraid.

If you do this, I will then give all the help I can.

I am really sorry to say the above but CrackMem is a free program written by some friends of mine and managed by me in my spare time.
    Pete, I think the fix for this issue might be easier than you expected - but your programmer might require more beer and pizzas.

The installed path for the OS is recorded in the registry at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\Common\Installations\{someCrypticHexID}
    with the fully qualified path path to the installation in a String value "Directory"

or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\AppLoader\SearchPaths\{someCrypticHexID}
    with the fully qualified path path to the installation in a String value "Path"

It should be easy enough to enumerate the install paths from a Delphi program and store the retrieved data for use within Crackmem. It is highly likely these will be modified in language variants which don't use Program Files.

Otherwise I think you might find the localized variant for Program Files\Common files at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
    String value "CommonFilesDir" holds the full path name.

See what your consultant says, but I think it should be a simple API call to retrieve any of these from registry
    10-24-08 06:00 PM
    Pete - success report.
    Bold with 4.6.0.167 AT&T

In the Right pane, Selected to retain Voice Dial abd NOT install everything else. It worked perfectly.

Bonuses - all the sample pics of BMWs are gone, all the sample music is gone. IIRC these are locked in the default RIM installs and can't be deleted.

Overall result after boot, 52 MBytes free - a slight (1MB) improvement over .162, and this despite some reports that .167 runs with a bigger footprint. Slipped back to 47M about 90 minutes later, similar to .162 after a little use.
    10-24-08 06:07 PM
    @gabbajoe "The Problem is i think that i don't have the directory sturcter: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion
    my german windows has this folder:
    C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\Research In Motion

If i try to create the folder and copie the content from my german path to it:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion"

Pete, I think the fix for this issue might be easier than you expected - but your programmer might require more beer and pizzas.

The installed path for the OS is recorded in the registry at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\Common\Installations\{someCrypticHexID}
    with the fully qualified path path to the installation in a String value "Directory"

or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\AppLoader\SearchPaths\{someCrypticHexID}
    with the fully qualified path path to the installation in a String value "Path"

It should be easy enough to enumerate the install paths from a Delphi program and store the retrieved data for use within Crackmem. It is highly likely these will be modified in language variants which don't use Program Files.

Otherwise I think you might find the localized variant for Program Files\Common files at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion
    String value "CommonFilesDir" holds the full path name.

See what your consultant says, but I think it should be a simple API call to retrieve any of these from registry
    Wow, thatnks for doing the research. In fact we look at the actual disk structure and use an environment variable to find the OS.

I am not going to get into changing what I have already coded. We support various OSs and that was hard enough to make work in ENglish. I have had a lot of exoerience with multi-mational installs with a large multi-national company and the amount of time that this takes is amazing.

I will look at this but doubt that I would have the time to gte the things to work especially sine I would then need to test on all language variants across several OS variants. In fact, I am not to keen to even srart down this road.

Thanks anyway though.
    10-24-08 09:01 PM
    Pete - success report.
    Bold with 4.6.0.167 AT&T

In the Right pane, Selected to retain Voice Dial abd NOT install everything else. It worked perfectly.

Bonuses - all the sample pics of BMWs are gone, all the sample music is gone. IIRC these are locked in the default RIM installs and can't be deleted.

Overall result after boot, 52 MBytes free - a slight (1MB) improvement over .162, and this despite some reports that .167 runs with a bigger footprint. Slipped back to 47M about 90 minutes later, similar to .162 after a little use.
    Is that HUGE nearly 1Mb Stuart Copeland file still there?
    10-24-08 09:02 PM
    Pete6,

The current ZIP file seems to be corrupted?
    10-24-08 10:07 PM
    nevermind. i was using the right click option to download. apparently that doesn't work.
    10-24-08 10:09 PM
    Is that HUGE nearly 1Mb Stuart Copeland file still there?
    Nope. No sample video, no sample music, no locked and undeletable sample pictures of cars I can't afford.
    10-25-08 07:09 AM
    Wow, thatnks for doing the research. In fact we look at the actual disk structure and use an environment variable to find the OS.

I am not going to get into changing what I have already coded. We support various OSs and that was hard enough to make work in ENglish. I have had a lot of exoerience with multi-mational installs with a large multi-national company and the amount of time that this takes is amazing.

I will look at this but doubt that I would have the time to gte the things to work especially sine I would then need to test on all language variants across several OS variants. In fact, I am not to keen to even srart down this road.

Thanks anyway though.
    What research? I knew exactly where to look for it.

Yes, there's an environment variable which also seems to identify the Common Files folder, but I don't know if that is really supported like the Registry setting which is used by the OS when it looks to see where to install the RIM OS.

See what your programmer says, I think it might be easier than you expect, and its not difficult to implement API calls in Delphi. First 'test' would be to ask a few other language users to check the key against their actual installed folders, and if that comes up good I will make a beer-bet that the registry keys will provide the answer for all languages with only a few hours coding.
    10-25-08 07:21 AM
    Nope. No sample video, no sample music, no locked and undeletable sample pictures of cars I can't afford.
    hehe, thanks. Got it.

If you see any new .cod files or groups of files that need removing prior to installation, then please let me know. I have my programmer coming over on Monday or Wednesday to make a few minor changes to CrackPic and CrackUtil (tried that yet?) so I can add changes to CrackMem too.

I am still thinking about the multi-national stuff. It should be doable but will add one more dimension to the testing matrix and that scares me.

What I might do is the have a look at the DOS environment variable %ProgramFiles% (from a cmd windows type 'set' and the envivonment variables are displayed). If these variables are the same across different languages (I have a WIndows XP system in French here) then I may be able to pick that up.
    10-25-08 07:24 AM
1,625 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD