Ok call me slow on the uptake but what is CrackMem?????? is this another something I have to have. Yes I am an addict for sure.
    If you do not know what it is then, you do not need it.
    10-02-08 04:49 PM
    I cant seem to find the link for crackmem, can sombody point me to it?
    10-06-08 07:55 PM
    I cant seem to find the link for crackmem, can sombody point me to it?
    There's not a link. The program is in a zip file at the very bottom of the first post in the thread. Download the zip, save it someplace where you can find it, extract the file, and install it with the Desktop Manager App Loader.
    10-06-08 08:01 PM
    Thanks! Ok, so i downloaded it and unzipped it to my desktop.. now I am trying to load it via the bb app loader, but it wont find the file (saved it to my desktop)
    10-06-08 08:09 PM
    Thanks! Ok, so i downloaded it and unzipped it to my desktop.. now I am trying to load it via the bb app loader, but it wont find the file (saved it to my desktop)
    Please accept my apologies. I was multitasking and not doing it well, apparently! CrackMem runs on your PC, not on your BlackBerry. When you unzip it, you get an executable installer. Run that, and it will install CrackMem on your PC and create a desktop shortcut. Double-click the desktop shortcut to run CrackMem. Sorry for the mis-direction.
    10-06-08 08:23 PM
    i had posted this on the other site, but hadn't got an any response so i figured i would post it here to see if anyone had an idea.

i have installed this app on my pc where i also have Bb desktop software etc, but i get an error saying that it can not find an OS.
    any suggestions?
    thanks
    Im getting same error, help!
    10-06-08 08:24 PM
    Please accept my apologies. I was multitasking and not doing it well, apparently! CrackMem runs on your PC, not on your BlackBerry. When you unzip it, you get an executable installer. Run that, and it will install CrackMem on your PC and create a desktop shortcut. Double-click the desktop shortcut to run CrackMem. Sorry for the mis-direction.
    lol... no worries, I have been there believe me.

Ok, got it. I keep getting an error when I start it up and it says "no operating systems found". On the left hand side of Crackmem there are not BB OS listed...
    10-06-08 08:27 PM
    lol... no worries, I have been there believe me.

Ok, got it. I keep getting an error when I start it up and it says "no operating systems found". On the left hand side of Crackmem there are not BB OS listed...
    The answer is the same for both you and biggdogg40509: you need to install your device OS on your PC. Probably the best way to do that is to perform Reed McLay's CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. He shows you where to find your OS and then points you to CrackMem to finish your optimization.
    10-06-08 08:53 PM
    Thank you! Works now... so do I open Crackmem, make my selections, open BB manager and execute my changes? Does Crackmem update via the BB software?
    10-07-08 01:38 AM
    Thank you! Works now... so do I open Crackmem, make my selections, open BB manager and execute my changes? Does Crackmem update via the BB software?
    CrackMem works by removong modules from the OS folders. It does not actually do the update. That is left to the Blackberry Desktop Manager or the Loader.exe program.

You should take a look ate CrackMem's Help file as thee is stuff in there that will help you understand what the program does.
    10-07-08 03:44 AM
    Pete, I just want to take a second and say thanks again for this wonderful program. A double for you!
    10-07-08 05:19 PM
    Pete6, thanks for the help. Crackmem v2.7 worked beautifully
    10-10-08 08:48 PM
    I just put up CrackMem v2.7. The main change is a new function to rename the DocumensToGo.alx file to DocumentsToGo.old. This function is of use to users who run DocsToGo from DataViz Corp.

DocsToGo is distributed with a number of later OSs and will installs a limited functionality version. This may be upgraded OTA for free from the DataViz website. A further, paid upgrade offers full functionality via the Premium edition. This upgrade is either OTA or downloaable via a zip file on request from DataViz.

However if the upgrade is applied and then the BlackBerry is conected to Desktop Manager whilst the OS remains installed, DM will immediately uninstall all the DocsToGo upgrades. I contacted DavaViz via email and they have told me that their approved remedy for this is to rename the DicumentsToGo.alx file to DocumentsToGo.old.

Personally I think that this is a real kludge for a compration to tell a user to rename a file inside the Program Files folder.

The gray subpanel is the part that handles the rename.

Select one or other of the two radio buttons and press the DoIt key. CrackMem will tell you what action it has taken. If you try to rename the file that has already been renamed, Crackmem will says so.

You can make this change at any time - either before or after OS instalation.

Remember that this option is only valid for OSs that have DocsToGo included. The rest of CrackMem works as before.
    Last edited by Pete6; 10-11-08 at 08:09 AM.
    10-11-08 05:40 AM

(1) DocumentsToGo.old

or

(2) DocumensToGo.alx

If you select (2) above is because you don't have the limited free update and/or the paid upgrade from DataViz ?

Not selecting any of the two options in the gray the same as if you selected (2)

Also, why rename the file with the same name and extension ?
    10-11-08 01:58 PM
    (2) DocumensToGo.alx

Not selecting any of the two options in the gray the same as if you selected (2)

Also, why rename the file with the same name and extension ?
    The idea is to stop the alx file from removing an updated product when the unpdated phone is connected to Desktop Manager that has an older version of the program on the hard disk. I checked with the manufacturer before I implemented this solution. This is their preferred method.

I am not sure that you have fully understood the problem.

Remember that this is an option and is not obligatory. One radio button renames the file to .old and the other renames it to alx. In this way the file can be renamed to .old or back to its original state ate any time. This allows upgrades to the product, via OTA or via DM, at any time either pre or post OS instalation. It is the safest and most flexible option.
    Last edited by Pete6; 10-11-08 at 03:14 PM.
    10-11-08 03:09 PM
    Just updated docs2go to ver 1.002.

1) I choose OS and confirmed it with crackmem.
    2) Renamed docs2go.alx to docs2go.old
    3) Ran apploader to remove docs2go
    4) Downloaded ver 1.002 from Documents To Go for BlackBerry Smartphones: BES Admins
    5) Ran apploader to install docs2go ver 1.002
    6) Registered docs2go on bb
    Last edited by sam1ee; 10-11-08 at 03:23 PM.
    10-11-08 03:19 PM
    Sam, you are the first to try this out 'in the wild'. Have a cookie.

I tested it here but I always get a kick out of hearing when someone tries out a new feature and it works first time.
    10-11-08 03:30 PM
    I am never home so I rarely have access to my pc. I only read the wap version of this site. You say to dl crackmem at the end of the post, but there's no link for it on the wap site.

I guess that brings me to my main question; can I dl crackmem ota and use it to delete the preinstalled wallpaper on my VZW 8330, or do I have to run the app from a pc? If yes, can I move them to the memory card rather than deleting them?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 08:58 PM
    I am never home so I rarely have access to my pc. I only read the wap version of this site. You say to dl crackmem at the end of the post, but there's no link for it on the wap site.

I guess that brings me to my main question; can I dl crackmem ota and use it to delete the preinstalled wallpaper on my VZW 8330, or do I have to run the app from a pc? If yes, can I move them to the memory card rather than deleting them?

Thanks

The file you need to download is at the end of my original post (post #1, page 1).

CrackMem is a PC application. It does not run on a BlackBerry. Once installed on a PC and if you have Desktop Manage and the OS that is installed on your phone (it must be exactly the same version) installed then you can use CrackMem to remove your wallpapers.

If you know what you are doing then you can do the same thisg with javaloader but you need to know the exact filename to remove.
    10-12-08 01:38 AM
    Ahhh, I see. Thanks for the info.

10-12-08 03:51 PM
    You da MAN!!
    10-12-08 04:33 PM
    Tried the 2.7.
    Worked perfectly..
    Loved the Docs To Go renaming tool. Been searching fot it. Now it's integrated with CrackMem

Good Job!!!
    10-14-08 07:53 AM
    Hi Pete.

I think you may be the only one who can help me. I'm on my 2nd Curve 8330, OS version 4.3.0.127 with Sprint after trading the 1st in. Both same problem. Voice dialing starts in the middle of the night, displays 'Searching address book... please wait... 0%' and is locked in this state. I can't understand why a second phone would do the same as the first, unless transferring my address book, one ringtone and one wallpaper (both from Crackberry) would be corrupting the phone. Another fringe suspicion of mine is the possibility that Sprint TV is causing this, mainly because when I removed my earphones while watching Sprint TV, with my 1-day old replacement phone it locked up the exact same way, with the exact same display.

I did not see version 4.3.0.127 in your OS choices or 8330. Honestly I'm a little sheepish about loading a different OS, only because I don't have much experience and I worry about the possibility of Sprint making my life even more difficult for doing so if I have to go back, as I feel compelled to. That said, my nerves are frayed because my college student son drives home from work in the middle of the night and I worry, since calls can't get through, much of my time has been wasted and I'm still at square one.

Which one of your OS selections could I use? Would Sprint void my joke of a warranty if I mess up during the OS installation? Have you seen the removal of the VAD files remedy this particular problem?

I'd really appreciate your insight.
    10-17-08 03:01 PM
    Hi Pete.

I think you may be the only one who can help me. I'm on my 2nd Curve 8330, OS version 4.3.0.127 with Sprint after trading the 1st in. Both same problem. Voice dialing starts in the middle of the night, displays 'Searching address book... please wait... 0%' and is locked in this state. I can't understand why a second phone would do the same as the first, unless transferring my address book, one ringtone and one wallpaper (both from Crackberry) would be corrupting the phone. Another fringe suspicion of mine is the possibility that Sprint TV is causing this, mainly because when I removed my earphones while watching Sprint TV, with my 1-day old replacement phone it locked up the exact same way, with the exact same display.

I did not see version 4.3.0.127 in your OS choices or 8330. Honestly I'm a little sheepish about loading a different OS, only because I don't have much experience and I worry about the possibility of Sprint making my life even more difficult for doing so if I have to go back, as I feel compelled to. That said, my nerves are frayed because my college student son drives home from work in the middle of the night and I worry, since calls can't get through, much of my time has been wasted and I'm still at square one.

Which one of your OS selections could I use? Would Sprint void my joke of a warranty if I mess up during the OS installation? Have you seen the removal of the VAD files remedy this particular problem?

I'd really appreciate your insight.
    Strange goings on indeed. I have never heard of a symptom like yours where Voice dialling starts spontaneously. If you had not just replaced your phone, I would have said that the problem was hardware. It still could be. Let's leave that problem for now and just deal with your CrackMem questions.

CrackMem will use any Blackberry Operating System that is present on your PC. When you run it, it looks for any instaled OS and displays that in its left hand panel so please do not pay attention the OSs displayed in my pics. They were just what was lying around on the PC I used for the pics.

Thus if you can find a copy of OS 4.3.0.127, once instaklked on your PC CCrackMem will find it and make it available. This is the fastest choice for you. So find it on your carriers site (call them), download it and install it. Do the same with CrackMem and after selecting the OS use CrackMem to remove VAD (and anything else you wish).

Connect your phone and run Desktop Manager. If neccessary start the Applications Loader and the rest should be automatic.

Please get back here or PM me if you need more help.

Please remember that I live in Europe and I am about to go to bed for the night.
    10-17-08 04:48 PM
    I haven't seen VAD be spontaneous before, but if you have a large number of contacts (e.g. 1700 like me), VAD takes a verrry long time to index them (which is what its doing). Any possibility a nearby BT headset comes on by itself once the battery gets recharged enough? Although that seems unlikely, in theory it might somehow invoke VAD. Might happen if the cat is crawling around

If you are not comfortable doing an upgrade, don't. The carriers tech folks will likely say the warranty is voided and downgrade you anyway. 4.3.0.127 is the latest for cdma anyway IIRC.

10-17-08 06:39 PM
1,625 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD