Pete, Jeff, Misty I PM'ed ZiRiS the file last evening in case he missed
    any of the follow up posts so he is all set
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-03-08 at 04:32 AM.
    09-03-08 03:44 AM
    Pete, Jeff, Misty I PM'ed ZiRiS the file last evening in case he missed
    any of the follow up posts so he is all set
    Thanks AG, much appreciated.
    09-03-08 04:32 AM
    Holy crap Pete!! I just noticed they had the sense to make you
    a Moderator. Congratulations. You will make a fine addition to
    the team.
    09-03-08 05:01 AM
    Holy crap Pete!! I just noticed they had the sense to make you
    a Moderator. Congratulations. You will make a fine addition to
    the team.
    Thank you AG, It is very worrying when they dig up old guys like me to help run the place. I think Kevin must be desperate. They asked JeffH too, I see.

I shall do my best to help out.
    09-03-08 05:20 AM
    I just released CrackMem 2.5. The changes are minor. JeffH poined out that I was not deleting the prefoaded wallpaper for the 88xx series phones and there was a problem with running on systems where C: was not the boot drive.

I also added to the Help file (try to stay awake) and fixed a problem where the help file did not work if you ran the program from the Start menu.
    09-04-08 09:05 AM
    Nice upgrades Pete! I love the continuous modifications and development of the app

I recommend this to members all of the time!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 09:09 AM
    Nice upgrades Pete! I love the continuous modifications and development of the app

I recommend this to members all of the time!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I do not really WANT to keep upgrading but I keep finding annoying little bugs and as Jeff pointed out, things that I had missed.

I am sure that there will be more updated needed when the 9000 series phones begin to need OS upgrading.

btw: I have ordered my Bold so I guess that I shall soon be upgrading that as well.
    09-04-08 09:19 AM
    Your continued efforts on this are just impressive.
    Again thanks for making our BB lives a bit easier.
    09-04-08 09:21 AM
    Your continued efforts on this are just impressive.
    Again thanks for making our BB lives a bit easier.
    That's nice of you to say AG but there's another view of my continuous updating and that is that we are now on version 2.5 which may be interpreted as me taking 25 goes at it to get it right. Not a good track record .
    Last edited by Pete6; 09-05-08 at 02:24 PM.
    09-05-08 10:59 AM
    I loaded desktop manager 4.5 connected my phone and it displayed my pin. Next I started Crackmem selected the OS and clicked confirm. Next I removed all files that were not needed including vendor.xml and clicked execute selections. Then, I clicked the desktop manager button and Dm came up but then it disconnected the phone from DM and will not recognize the pin or phone. What did I do wrong? I am so confused. BTW,

I have a verizon 8330
    09-07-08 12:17 PM
    I loaded desktop manager 4.5 connected my phone and it displayed my pin. Next I started Crackmem selected the OS and clicked confirm. Next I removed all files that were not needed including vendor.xml and clicked execute selections. Then, I clicked the desktop manager button and Dm came up but then it disconnected the phone from DM and will not recognize the pin or phone. What did I do wrong? I am so confused. BTW,

I have a verizon 8330
    What you did wrong was to run Desktop Manager (where it displayed your PIN) BEFORE you ran CrackMem.

You need to run CrackMem before you even connect your phone.

CrackMem operates on installed Operating system(s). You did install the OS, didn't you? It works by removng files and modules including Vendor.xml before you even start the installation process.

In CrackMem's Help text is a numbered walk through procedure for upgrading your phone using CrackMem. It would be best if you had a look at that before going further.

RIM, BlackBerry Operating Systems and Desktop Manager take no account of CrackMem becuase they do not expect it to exist. I slid it in between the OS you install on your PC and just in front of Desktop Manager in the OS upgrade process.
    09-07-08 12:40 PM
    Download CrackMem from the end of this post
    - Unzip CrackMem (double click and select 'Extract all files' from the menu on the left. There is only one file.
    - Connect your phone and make sure that Desktop Managher can connect to it. Watch for your PIN number to appear at the bottom of the Desktop Manager panel.
    - Kill Desktop Manager but leave your phone connected to your PC
    - Run CrackMem

I did close DM before I ran Crackmem(not sure if I said that)

Did I misread your original post ?? It says start DM first then Crackmem.
    Last edited by brizzan; 09-07-08 at 01:32 PM.
    09-07-08 01:23 PM
    It says right now "connecting to device" wait now the phone just restarted and showing connected to desktop.
    09-07-08 01:26 PM
    Now its showing restore progress but when the phone booted back up it showed the verizon wireless screen just as alaways.
    09-07-08 01:31 PM
    Ok, so I ran crackmem and checked everything I wanted off my device, I now have 21mb's free which is awesome for the 8130. But today I tried running it again so I can remove VAD, I finally realized that I don't use it and would like the extra memory.
    But I go through the same process as before, and when I launch Desktop Manager, it checks for updates like usual, but then nothing happens. I know it's supposed to update the OS automatically after running crackmem and then DM.
    Can anyone help with this problem?
    09-09-08 03:13 PM
    CrackMem was never supposed to be able to rmove modules post install. We found that it sometimes did so and this was a bonus and a happy surprise.

If it does not work, make sure that CrackMem has removed Vendor.xml as well as VAD and then it might, just might rremove VAD when you run Desktop Manager.

If this does not work then you will have to re-install the OS from zero but this time you should remove VAD before you start as I am sure you now appreciate.
    09-09-08 03:18 PM
    CrackMem was never supposed to be able to rmove modules post install. We found that it sometimes did so and this was a bonus and a happy surprise.

If it does not work, make sure that CrackMem has removed Vendor.xml as well as VAD and then it might, just might rremove VAD when you run Desktop Manager.

If this does not work then you will have to re-install the OS from zero but this time you should remove VAD before you start as I am sure you now appreciate.
    I was afraid I'd have to re-install the OS. Bummer, Much appreciated though!
    09-09-08 03:23 PM
    I was afraid I'd have to re-install the OS. Bummer, Much appreciated though!
    Yeah, its' a pain.

I have said a number of times that RIM never planned for Crackmem to exist. Silly of them really.

Using CrackMem is a bit like trying to put butter in a sandwich after you have made it!

It slides in as a layer between installing the OS on the PC and applying it to the phone with Desktop Manager.

The fact that it is a program actually makes it harder to understand its function. If you install the OS and then start copying files out of the Java folder, that is comprehensible but when you do the same thing with CrackMem the understanding fades a little because instead of dealing with real files names and folders, you are just clicking a mouse.
    09-10-08 04:35 AM
    Yeah, its' a pain.

I have said a number of times that RIM never planned for Crackmem to exist. Silly of them really.

Using CrackMem is a bit like trying to put butter in a sandwich after you have made it!

It slides in as a layer between installing the OS on the PC and applying it to the phone with Desktop Manager.

The fact that it is a program actually makes it harder to understand its function. If you install the OS and then start copying files out of the Java folder, that is comprehensible but when you do the same thing with CrackMem the understanding fades a little because instead of dealing with real files names and folders, you are just clicking a mouse.
    Well I disassembled the sandwich and and turned it into a delicious buttery sub.
    Everything works great, I manually went into Java and took out some unnecessary extras, ran crackmem to remove VAD, and followed with DM. Didn't take long, and my 8130 is in tip-top with 23 mb's free, and everything on it that I require. Thanks Pete, 2's
    09-10-08 08:18 AM
    Thx for sharing this program!!
    Every upgrade I'm pulling out my printouts of all the things to modify. I expect the next OS upgrade to be MUCH smoother.
    09-10-08 08:39 AM
    Hi Pete,

I am first going to put my hands up to the fact that I have not actually read in detail all 20 pages of this thread, but I note that in your very first post you say that "CrackMem ... has only been tested on 8xxx series phones."

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) tried it out in earnest on a Bold 9000 yet, and if so would you consider it 'safe' to use in conjunction with a Bold?

I am hoping to obain my Bold very shortly now, and this does look to me like a very useful program/utility.
    09-14-08 06:04 AM
    Hi Pete,

I am first going to put my hands up to the fact that I have not actually read in detail all 20 pages of this thread, but I note that in your very first post you say that "CrackMem ... has only been tested on 8xxx series phones."

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) tried it out in earnest on a Bold 9000 yet, and if so would you consider it 'safe' to use in conjunction with a Bold?

I am hoping to obain my Bold very shortly now, and this does look to me like a very useful program/utility.
    You raise a good point.

I have not tried CrackMem on a Bold because I do not have a Bold upon which to try it...

The thing to do (or, what I would do if I had a Bold) is to download an OS for a Bold (I have got this far and have done this). Run CrackMem and delete some modules as well as Vendor.xml. Check the DeletedFiles+OSSelected folder to see if CrackMem has been sucessful in removing the desired files. Now go back to the Java folder and see if it missed any of that particular file set. I have done all this and it worked - no reason it should not.

The parts of the process that I am not sure about are:
    - what additional modules have RIM put in as part of the existing OS
    - what additional modules can I remove
    - are there aditional files that are outside the RIM filenameing convention. An example of this would be the two files that form AT&T's PTT function.).

I reckon that CrackMem will work fine on the modules that it knows about. What it does not know about, it will do nothng because it does not know.

There will clearly be a period whilst we learn what new modules on the Bold need removing and then we shall have to identify the file set asocciated with these module and then I shall incorporate them into CrackMem.

I see this process as the future for my program. In fact I can see no other way since RIM do not have my email address to inform me of what I should be removing from their OS.

I am waiting for Swisscom to acquire stock of the Bold and have one on order with them right now. As soon as I have my new phone, I shall take careful steps to upgrade the OS.

As you can see, we are in uncharted waters here and should proceed with caition. Given the PutItBack function of CrackMem, there should be no real risk other than time lost in a re-install of the OS should things go wrong.

I really hope that this helps.
    09-14-08 03:44 PM
    I followed the above instructions, but can't get it to find my operating system (8830 w/ 4.2.2.123). I tried unstalling and installing CrackMem again, but no luck. any suggestions?
    09-16-08 08:44 AM
    Have you installed the OS on your PC?
    09-16-08 09:29 AM
    Crackmemv2.5 will not dload for me.It does not act as a link,only as blue text.I found v2.4 but it will not allow me to check the run as administrator in windows vista. Please help.
    09-17-08 07:34 PM
1,625 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD