Yeah, the Vendor.xml file I usually removed during upgrades manually. DM comes up with like 15 updates I need and when I click Update Now - nothing happens. Oh well, maybe AT&T will actually put a 4.5 OS out before 4.8 is released in Chile!!??!!
    08-29-08 08:21 AM
    ...I am also thinking about keeping CrackMem just as a memory tool and publishing another (free) program to do some of the other stuff that needs doing like IT Policy removal.

Please tell me what you think.
    I think you'd be better off if you keep "CrackIT" a separate program, just from the viewpoint of supporting it. I've no doubt your ace programmer could add it as a module to CrackMem, but then you'll be forever answering questions about it from people who don't need it anyway. Just about everybody can benefit from CrackMem. Thankfully, not nearly so many people have IT policy issues.
    08-29-08 08:22 AM
    I think you'd be better off if you keep "CrackIT" a separate program, just from the viewpoint of supporting it. I've no doubt your ace programmer could add it as a module to CrackMem, but then you'll be forever answering questions about it from people who don't need it anyway. Just about everybody can benefit from CrackMem. Thankfully, not nearly so many people have IT policy issues.
    This is my thinking too. I like the name CrackIT. I am gong to use that if we write it and if you do nor mund Jeff. I had been thinking about CrackTool but CrackIT is much, much better.

There is another possibility and it that I issuse a suite of small programs that do one or two simple tasks like screenshot only. I wonder the wisdom of having a program that will take a screenshot and on the next button remove the IT policy.

What do you think?

As to support, I think that you are quite right here too. It is better to keep CrackMem as a pre-OS load memory tool and then write new programs to do other things to the phone.
    08-29-08 02:21 PM
    I'd be honored for you to use the name CrackIT.

I like the idea of a suite of small, single-purpose tools, similar to what the Norton Utilities used to be. I use your screen shot batch file already, although I had to modify it to get it to work with my PC. I agree with you that a screen-shot button adjacent to something as consequential as IT-policy removal might lead to problems.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-08 04:33 PM
    Hey Guys will Crackmem work for upgrading to the new 4.5.0.77 on my 8330?
    I am sorry not to have replied before. Life has been getting in the way of my normal functions. I foolishly took a 2 week vacation and have been playing customer catch-up ever since.

CrackMem should work normally on all 8xxx phones and OSs. Although I have not personally run tests on 8330 cuz I don't have one but I think that you will be safe.

Once more, apologies for the late response.
    08-30-08 05:18 AM
    Pete...

Forgive a newbie...but can you tell me what I would have to do in your CrackMem app to put the themes back and nothing else. I start DM...connect the phone...close DM...open CrackMem...select the operating system...then what buttons do I hit from there?
    08-30-08 03:16 PM
    Pete...

Forgive a newbie...but can you tell me what I would have to do in your CrackMem app to put the themes back and nothing else. I start DM...connect the phone...close DM...open CrackMem...select the operating system...then what buttons do I hit from there?
    CrackMem works on Operating Systems that are installed on your PC so you need to have the correct OS installed before you go any further.

Do you have this? If no then you must get this downloaded and installed before you go any further. If you need help here then please just ask.

I also have to ask, how did the themese get deleted?

I'll help you for sure but I need some basic info as to where you are at and what is installed and what has already been done before we go crashing into technical details.
    08-30-08 05:21 PM
    I keep getting the following error message when I try to unzip the file?

! C:\Users\Smurfy\Documents\Blackberry\Crackmem\Crac kMem v2.4.zip: Unexpected end of archive
    08-31-08 01:12 AM
    I keep getting the following error message when I try to unzip the file?

! C:\Users\Smurfy\Documents\Blackberry\Crackmem\Crac kMem v2.4.zip: Unexpected end of archive
    I read your message and went straight to Page 1 of this thread and downloaded the file to my desktop.

I double-clicked on it and selected 'Extract all files'. I clicked on the extracted CrackMem file and it installed on my PC just fine.

I am not sure what happened to you. I can only suggest that you download again and maybe try the same thing on a different PC.

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks.
    08-31-08 02:24 AM
    I read your message and went straight to Page 1 of this thread and downloaded the file to my desktop.

I double-clicked on it and selected 'Extract all files'. I clicked on the extracted CrackMem file and it installed on my PC just fine.

I am not sure what happened to you. I can only suggest that you download again and maybe try the same thing on a different PC.

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks.
    I have downloaded it 3 x's now, and get the same error everytime. I don't currently have access to another computer but will try it again when I do. I am really looking forward to using it, this will make life so much simpler when new OS's come out!
    08-31-08 02:40 AM
    Ok, so I tried again, this time i choose to run the file rather then save it. It worked, thanks!
    08-31-08 02:54 AM
    Ok, so I tried again, this time i choose to run the file rather then save it. It worked, thanks!
    I am glad that it finally worked. You should have been able to download/save though.
    08-31-08 02:56 AM

Select Properties and then on the next panel, select COmpatability and then click Run this program as an administrator. This only need to be done once right after installation.

What do I do if that box is greyed out and I don't have the option to check it. This is my own computer, and my sign on is an administrative one, but this option is greyed out for me.
    08-31-08 06:47 PM
    What do I do if that box is greyed out and I don't have the option to check it. This is my own computer, and my sign on is an administrative one, but this option is greyed out for me.
    I do not know what to suggest right now but, I will find out what has happened and get back to you.
    09-01-08 01:51 AM
    I do not know what to suggest right now but, I will find out what has happened and get back to you.
    I already took care of it. My husband is in IT, and he said because my account is already an administrator, it wasn't necessary. Since I didn't "buy" that, he said I could turn on User Account Control (which I detest), which then made the check box usable. AFter that, I just turned User Account Control back off. When I did, the box was greyed out once again, but it was greyed with the check mark in it.
    09-01-08 07:44 AM
    Pete, I already installed os 4.5 before I read this. so, how do I delete the vendor themes? can I use the crackmem to delete em or reinstall the os again? thanx
    09-01-08 08:16 AM
    I already took care of it. My husband is in IT, and he said because my account is already an administrator, it wasn't necessary. Since I didn't "buy" that, he said I could turn on User Account Control (which I detest), which then made the check box usable. AFter that, I just turned User Account Control back off. When I did, the box was greyed out once again, but it was greyed with the check mark in it.
    Good. I am glad that it works.
    09-02-08 12:38 AM
    Pete, I already installed os 4.5 before I read this. so, how do I delete the vendor themes? can I use the crackmem to delete em or reinstall the os again? thanx
    You can try. Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not. The way to proceed is to remove the files that you do not want using CrackMem and then connect your phone and run Desktop Manager. It should now remove the files that you have defined but like I said earlier post-installation operations do not always work.

CrackMem was not designed to do this and it was a happy surprise when several of us discovered by accident that this worked on some but not all files.
    09-02-08 12:42 AM
    Pete:
    Maybe I'm ********. Maybe I'm just Old. Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, there is no link to download this software here. I've looked at the original post. I've looked at the html that was originally written for the post. I've even had a friend look at it to see if I'm just completely missing it. It's not there, Pete. WHERE'S THE LINK, PETE!?! I NEED this software! esp since all I run in 64-bit Vista and JL-CMDer won't run under my OS. I NEED A LINK, PETE! (Where's my fix, maaannnnn?) Yeah, I'm a little out there, but I have literally been working ALL day to try to reload my OS on my BB 8110 Pearl. Your SW is just exactly what I need. pm it if you have to. I don't care if it's been yanked down for whatever reason. I need this software!

MUCH THANKS, PETE!!!

-= ZiRiS =-

7/24/08 - CrackMem V2.4 is here.
    7/21/08 -CrackMem V2.3 is here.
    7/17/08 - CrackMem V2.2 is here.
    7/17/08 - CrackMem V2.1 is here.
    CrackMem V2.0 is here.

CrackMem 2.4 is hopefully the final version.
    The install now works on all versions of Vista including 64 bit system
    I fixed the non-working Help button
    The Help text has been considerably updated
    ToolTips work on all buttons so you can see what you are about to do before you press the button
    I found a little BlackBerry icon for the program - ah, sweet.

CrackMem 2.3 now installs as a proper Windows application. It has Windows style help.

There is support (untested so I need feedback) for Vista 64 bit systems.

Under Vista you need to take one additional step after installation on all versions of Vista.

Right click on the CrackMem icon and scroll to Properties.

Select Properties and then on the next panel, select COmpatability and then click Run this program as an administrator. This only need to be done once right after installation.

In
    - Fixed non-working Help button
    - Updated Help documentation
    - Minor changes to menu text
    - ToolTips work on all buttons so you can see what you are about to do before you press the button
    - Put a BlackBerry Icon on the program

In v2.3
    - Updated Help text to Windows standard Help
    - Made more room for expansion in main panel
    - Changed panel background color to blue
    - Changed selected OS display from Red to Blue
    - Added net_rim_bb_medialoader_320x240_b.cod
    and net_rim_bb_medialoader_240x260_b.cod to
    - Remove wallpaper module.
    - Added ToolTips to buttons
    - Used Windows install
    - Support for Windows Vista 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
    - ToolTips on all buttons
    - a password BrickMyPhone must be typed before the Wipe Phone function will operate

In v2.2
    - added remove tty
    - added to help text
    - changed the look from vertical to horizonal panel to gove more space
    - fixed non-working Put It Back button

In v2.1 I have added
    - removal tools for Yahoo, AIM and MSN.
    - slightly changed the visual look.
    - fixed a couple of bugs
    - improved various dialogs
    - requested a passphrase of ' BrickMyPhone ' on the Wipe Device button before proceeding
    - improved the help text.

CrackMem is a free utility for helping to optimize the BlackBerry's memory. It has only been tested on 8xxx series phones.

This is a major revision of the user interface - it now has one - and I my friend alien_scum (a BsC Hons in Maths graduate) did the Delphi coding.

As you can see from the picture, CrackMem V2.x is a proper Windows program.

A maximum of 9 installed OSs are supported. I don't know what happens if you install 10.

About the only 'quirk' is that you have to exit the Help text before you can exit the program.

New options are Wipe Phone and Desktop Manager. Both these options require confirmation before the will action.

Please do be careful with Wipe Phone. It really will brick your phone in two clicks.

If you are unfamilliar with upgrading your phone's Operating System then please read this BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com before starting.

----------------------------------------
    UPGRADING YOUR OS USING CRACKMEM
    - Download and install the OS that you wish to install on your phone
    - Download and install Desktop Manager 4.5 from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22
    - Download CrackMem from the end of this post
    - Unzip CrackMem (double click and select 'Extract all files' from the menu on the left. There is only one file.
    - Connect your phone and make sure that Desktop Managher can connect to it. Watch for your PIN number to appear at the bottom of the Desktop Manager panel.
    - Kill Desktop Manager but leave your phone connected to your PC
    - Run CrackMem
    - Select the Operating System you wish to install
    - Confirm your choice with the 'Confirm Operating System Selection' Button and the selected OS will be displayed in red.
    - You can change your choice now if you wish.
    - In the MODULE REMOVAL section pick as many modules to remove as you wish. Make sure that you check the box for 'Remove Vendor.xml'
    - Once you have finished slelecting, click 'Excecute Slection' and youi will see an 'Action Completed' box appear. CLick to dismiss it.
    - Click the 'Desktop Manager' button.
    - Instalation of the Operating System should begin automatically.
    - Carefully select the modules you wish to install.

The rest of installing an Operating System is covered in detail in the BlackBerry 101 link above.
    ----------------------------------------

I welcome your comments.

Pete

09-02-08 09:07 PM
    If you go back to Post #1, at the bottom of that post is an
    attached zip file. That is what you need.
    09-02-08 09:12 PM
    Pete:
    Maybe I'm ********. Maybe I'm just Old. Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, there is no link to download this software here. I've looked at the original post. I've looked at the html that was originally written for the post. I've even had a friend look at it to see if I'm just completely missing it. It's not there, Pete. WHERE'S THE LINK, PETE!?! I NEED this software! esp since all I run in 64-bit Vista and JL-CMDer won't run under my OS. I NEED A LINK, PETE! (Where's my fix, maaannnnn?) Yeah, I'm a little out there, but I have literally been working ALL day to try to reload my OS on my BB 8110 Pearl. Your SW is just exactly what I need. pm it if you have to. I don't care if it's been yanked down for whatever reason. I need this software!

MUCH THANKS, PETE!!!

-= ZiRiS =-
    It is in the first post of this thread, here:

09-02-08 09:47 PM
    It is in the first post of this thread, here:

Really? You wanna play that game? Really? Ok. Let's play.

09-02-08 11:12 PM
    It's not a game and they're not teasing. The file is there. I'm looking at it. Your picture is too small for me to tell where you are on the screen. Is it possible that your browser inhibits the display of zip files as a security feature?

EDIT: I just attached it to this post. Can you see it here? If you can, d/l it, and I'll delete the attachment, since it's a derivative copy.

EDIT: Removed temporary attachment.
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-03-08 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added zip file temporarily; removed attachment
    09-02-08 11:16 PM
    Really? You wanna play that game? Really? Ok. Let's play.

Can't see your tiny pic, but if you're gonna be rude, then go find it yourself! Good luck!
    09-03-08 12:17 AM
    Hey guys, play nice, wontcha.

ZiRiS, in this forum, and many others, attached files are at the bottom of the post. This is the case with CrackMem. It seems that you could not corretly see mistyinca's picture properly.

Maybe this was too small on your screen but she did, in fact go to the trouble of editing a picture for you and then drawing a circle araounf the part of the post where you could find my program.

She was helping you and went to some trpouble to do so.

JeffH posted you a copy too in just the same place. At the end of his post. This too should have given you a clue as to where to find the program.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would retract and ammend your post tomistyinca please.

We all get frustrated when we are trying to drain the swamp and are up to our a$$'s in crocodiles and BlackBerry upgrades are no exception. It's called being human.

My program is available free and so is support for it right here in this thread. It also seems to work quite well so it should solve your problem.

Please come back and ask for any further help you may need.

Thanks to all who helped here.

Pete
    P.S. I have also sent this by PM to ZiRiS
    09-03-08 03:42 AM
1,625 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD