Not quite sure how to resend your service books aor, but was able to restore proper function by way of back up and restore. Thanks again.

You can resend your service books through your carrier's BIS site, which you can find here: BlackBerry 101: Lecture 11: BIS Email Basics | CrackBerry.com

You'll find a link to send service books once you login.
    08-20-08 06:29 PM
    Did this fix your problem?
    08-21-08 01:33 AM
    ediggity is quite right. You NEED the BBDimension themes. Delete them and you get a black and white screen and no icons - kewl.

These themes may really be regarded as part of the OS, just like the pre-installed pics and that's why I don't remove them. I tried, just once - oh sh!t.

All the themes draw upon them for software display routines.

Carrier theme will be removed by CrackMem. If it had no there would have been at least one named T-Mobile there as well.

CrackMem does not touch anything on the Media Card. It only removes certain specific files from the OS folder usually before instalation. The names of thes files may be viewed in the CrackMem help file.

If this did not answer your questions, then please post again.
    Pete, that's good to know, thanks. I was actually looking into removing all the BBD themes. So I'll keep all 4 BB Dimension themes. I do still also have the 'T-Mobile' theme. Was that the theme that Crackmem should have removed? If so, I wonder why it was not removed since I selected to remove carrier themes?
    08-21-08 11:13 AM
    Pete, that's good to know, thanks. I was actually looking into removing all the BBD themes. So I'll keep all 4 BB Dimension themes. I do still also have the 'T-Mobile' theme. Was that the theme that Crackmem should have removed? If so, I wonder why it was not removed since I selected to remove carrier themes?
    The T-Mobile theme should have been removed. If you check the Help file there's an explanation of just how CrackMem works and which file groups get moved about by it.

If you check the boxes then CrackMem should (always has for me) move the group of files out of the Java folder and into RemovedFiles\OSSelected folder.

I do not know why it did not remove this theme.
    08-21-08 02:54 PM
    Be sure if you have vista, you follow the instruction on "Run as Administrator" otherise CrackMem will still say action completed yet will have done nothing.
    08-21-08 03:27 PM
    Ok. What am I missing here? I am running Windows XP first of all. I already downloaded OS 4.3 to my PC a few weeks ago.

I ran Crackmem and selected to remove vendor.xml and the carrier themes. Hit Excecute Selection button and recieve the message Action Completed. So next I clicked on the Desktop Manager button just as the instructions state. Now what? I ran Application loader and it checks for updates but then nothing happens. What do I do to actually finish the process of removing the carrier themes?.....in my case T-Mobile.
    08-21-08 05:23 PM
    Finally got around to upgrading my 8830 from 4.2.2.176 to 4.2.2.196 last night. I had done it once before, before Crackmem, but rolled back to 4.2.2.176 while debugging what turned out to be an unrelated problem.

Last night I decided to do the upgrade using McClure's procedure and Crackmem. Everything worked fine, but I am stumped by what I read in the help file and in all 16 pages of this thread about the "Put it Back" function.

If I run Crackmem, delete the modules I don't want, run DM, let the App Loader install the OS, then run Crackmem again and "Put it Back," the next time I run App Loader, won't it put those modules back in the OS?

I read the help file, twice, and all the posts and I'm still stumped. BTW, the help file in Upgrading the OS Using Crackmem, Step 11, says the confirmed OS will turn red, but it actually turns blue. I think that was what was confusing a poster back around page 13, or maybe that's just more of my confusion...
    08-21-08 08:15 PM
    Ok. What am I missing here? I am running Windows XP first of all. I already downloaded OS 4.3 to my PC a few weeks ago.

I ran Crackmem and selected to remove vendor.xml and the carrier themes. Hit Excecute Selection button and recieve the message Action Completed. So next I clicked on the Desktop Manager button just as the instructions state. Now what? I ran Application loader and it checks for updates but then nothing happens. What do I do to actually finish the process of removing the carrier themes?.....in my case T-Mobile.
    There are two possible files for your T-Mobile themes dependig if you are on T-Mobile US or UK. The US file is net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b.cod and the one for the UK is net_rim_theme_114_240x260_b.cod. These files will be either in The RemovedFiles\OSSelected folder if it has been correctly moved or in the Java folder if it has not been moved. You can search for all the themes by searching for net_rim_theme in the folder seach function.

I am still puzzled as to why this has not worked. I do not have an 8120 phone but I did download an OS and test that it was the same as all the others.

Please can you let me have the full OS number and the download location where you got it from. That way I can download it and try to find out what is going wrong.
    08-22-08 01:38 AM
    Finally got around to upgrading my 8830 from 4.2.2.176 to 4.2.2.196 last night. I had done it once before, before Crackmem, but rolled back to 4.2.2.176 while debugging what turned out to be an unrelated problem.

Last night I decided to do the upgrade using McClure's procedure and Crackmem. Everything worked fine, but I am stumped by what I read in the help file and in all 16 pages of this thread about the "Put it Back" function.

If I run Crackmem, delete the modules I don't want, run DM, let the App Loader install the OS, then run Crackmem again and "Put it Back," the next time I run App Loader, won't it put those modules back in the OS?

I read the help file, twice, and all the posts and I'm still stumped. BTW, the help file in Upgrading the OS Using Crackmem, Step 11, says the confirmed OS will turn red, but it actually turns blue. I think that was what was confusing a poster back around page 13, or maybe that's just more of my confusion...
    You are quite right Jeff. If you use the Put It Back button after your OS install then it will reinstate all the files back to the Java folder and the next time you connect to DM at least some of these will be put back on the phone if you allow this to happen. Likewize if you decide to run CrackMem after an install then some files will be up for removal by DM if you allow this.

I was in a quandry when I suggested the use of the Put It Back button post install. If I left the OS in a modified state then if anything went wrong the user is left looking at a non-standard OS to work with. On the other hand if Put It Back is used then there is the risk - as you point out - of soem files being put back onto the phone by DM if the user does not click cancel at the right time.

The bottom line here is that CrackMem was never meant to exist (in the RIM world) and any choices made when removing files redners the IS non-standard.

I have amended the help text for the next version to explain this but my programmer is off getting a suntan for the next few weeks.
    08-22-08 01:48 AM
    I used your program it worked great!!!

THANKS PETE!!
    08-22-08 10:29 AM
    There are two possible files for your T-Mobile themes dependig if you are on T-Mobile US or UK. The US file is net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b.cod and the one for the UK is net_rim_theme_114_240x260_b.cod. These files will be either in The RemovedFiles\OSSelected folder if it has been correctly moved or in the Java folder if it has not been moved. You can search for all the themes by searching for net_rim_theme in the folder seach function.

I am still puzzled as to why this has not worked. I do not have an 8120 phone but I did download an OS and test that it was the same as all the others.

Please can you let me have the full OS number and the download location where you got it from. That way I can download it and try to find out what is going wrong.

Hi Pete.

This is what is showing in my 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles\8120-v4.3.0.115_P2.6.0.64' folder:

Attachment 3907

My OS is 8120-v4.3.0.115_P2.6.0.64.
    08-22-08 05:43 PM
    You are quite right Jeff. If you use the Put It Back button after your OS install then it will reinstate all the files back to the Java folder and the next time you connect to DM at least some of these will be put back on the phone if you allow this to happen...
    I think a large part of my confusion comes from having left a previously installed and optimized .196 on my PC. I downloaded and installed 4.2.2.196 in early June, rolled back to .176 after a week, but left the .196 files and Removed Files folder on my drive. When I ran CrackMem, I looked in my Removed Files folder before I realized that CrackMem puts its moved files in a different directory. What I need to do is delete all my .196 stuff, both my files and the CrackMem files, reinstall .196 on my PC, and start over using CrackMem without any already tweaked versions to confuse me. Maybe tomorrow.
    08-22-08 11:45 PM
    Just used Crackmem to upgrade my VZW 8330 to the 'latest-greatest' 4.5 and it worked like a charm. In fact, it took way less time than I had anticipated. Even though I have about 15 apps installed, I have 43 Megs of memory available!!
    Thanks for your efforts.
    08-23-08 06:02 PM
    I think a large part of my confusion comes from having left a previously installed and optimized .196 on my PC. I downloaded and installed 4.2.2.196 in early June, rolled back to .176 after a week, but left the .196 files and Removed Files folder on my drive. When I ran CrackMem, I looked in my Removed Files folder before I realized that CrackMem puts its moved files in a different directory. What I need to do is delete all my .196 stuff, both my files and the CrackMem files, reinstall .196 on my PC, and start over using CrackMem without any already tweaked versions to confuse me. Maybe tomorrow.
    As stated above, I followed up with an install from a clean start and everything worked exactly as expected. I declined to run "put it back" after finishing, because I want the OS modules on the PC to reflect what's on the device.

After running Crackmem, I ran thru the "How to Increase File Free Memory" procedure. There were only 3 files left installed by Crackmem that I had previously removed manually. Two were the icon and today themes, which you intentionally don't remove. The other file was the 8830 wallpaper, which has a different filename than your program expects. The 4.2.2.196 filename is
    net_rim_bb_media_8830_320x240_b.cod.

I am exceptionally pleased with how well CrackMem works. Thanks for your effort.
    08-23-08 11:44 PM
    As stated above, I followed up with an install from a clean start and everything worked exactly as expected. I declined to run "put it back" after finishing, because I want the OS modules on the PC to reflect what's on the device.

After running Crackmem, I ran thru the "How to Increase File Free Memory" procedure. There were only 3 files left installed by Crackmem that I had previously removed manually. Two were the icon and today themes, which you intentionally don't remove. The other file was the 8830 wallpaper, which has a different filename than your program expects. The 4.2.2.196 filename is
    net_rim_bb_media_8830_320x240_b.cod.

I am exceptionally pleased with how well CrackMem works. Thanks for your effort.
    Wow! Thanks Jeff. I am glad that it worked well for you. I had been kind of waiting for you to try the program and to comment and I am glad that you now have.

When my young programmer returns from depleting the world's beer supply and we get to sit down and decide what goes into v2.5 I shall include the fil you mention. My guess is that the files I need to remove will be net_rim_bb_media_88*.cod. Thanks for the heads up.

I had a major PC crash on all three of my PCs last week and I have had to re-install Windows on all of them and it has left me with none of my programs installed - I had NO data loss at all but I am just finishing up my laptop installation and I have zero BlackBerry OSs installed so I cannot verify files just yet. I got the VBS.Zodgila "Hacked by Godzilla" - MS32DLL.dll.vbs worm from a client's PC and the bl00dy thing propagated itself right across my network in no time flat. This happened just as I had finished upgrading the motherboard/CPU on my own desktop PC and even though I did a manual removal and used at least 3 programs I just could not get rid of it so I just re-installed Windows. The good nws is that I now have trhee brand new Windows installs and my PCs are nice and fast again.
    08-24-08 04:50 AM
    Wow! Thanks Jeff. I am glad that it worked well for you. I had been kind of waiting for you to try the program and to comment and I am glad that you now have.

When my young programmer returns from depleting the world's beer supply and we get to sit down and decide what goes into v2.5 I shall include the fil you mention. My guess is that the files I need to remove will be net_rim_bb_media_88*.cod. Thanks for the heads up.

...The good news is that I now have three brand new Windows installs and my PCs are nice and fast again.
    Glad you got your PCs working again. Mine two-year old laptop needs a wipe and reload too. Too bad there's not a CrackMemPC!

I never thought to mention the 8830 wallpaper filenaming convention to Stoner. CrackMem does a great job of automating / replacing his "Slightly More Difficult" and "Full Bore Custom Configurations" sections, but for completeness, he needs to know it too.

As I see it, we have three tools in our memory / configuration management kit. McClure's Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure, Stoner's How to Increase BlackBerry's File Free, and your CrackMem. I'm glad I finally got around to using them all together. They play well with each other and really make a very nice suite.
    08-24-08 08:32 AM

Pete, net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b.cod is in both my 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\RemovedFiles\8120-v4.3.0.115_P2.6.0.64' folder and 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8120-v4.3.0.115_P2.6.0.64\Java' folder. Does that tell you anything?
    08-26-08 05:25 PM
    I was able to finally remove the tmobile carrier theme. For some reason the .cod file was in both the removedfiles folder and the Java folder. So I removed the .cod file from the Java folder (actually I moved it to a new folder I created) then ran application loader in desktop manager.......tmobile carrier theme gone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-08 09:00 PM
    I was able to finally remove the tmobile carrier theme. For some reason the .cod file was in both the removedfiles folder and the Java folder. So I removed the .cod file from the Java folder (actually I moved it to a new folder I created) then ran application loader in desktop manager.......tmobile carrier theme gone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    At last, Nick. It has worked. I am not sure how you got it to work but I am very glad that it finally did.

I am alo not sure how the same file got to be in two places at once. Oh well.
    08-27-08 11:19 AM
    Finally. Thanks for you help!
    08-27-08 12:00 PM
    Hey Guys will Crackmem work for upgrading to the new 4.5.0.77 on my 8330?
    08-27-08 06:45 PM
    Pete6, Many thanks! I will check your thread sometime when update coming up..
    08-27-08 10:46 PM
    Pete, thanks for this it is great - makes things a lot easier. Once I run Desktop Manager, it comes back and lists all the updates that need to be done...

When I click 'Update Now' in DM 4.6, nothing happens for some reason. Any clue as to what is wrong? I tried to paste the screen-shots unsuccessfully.
    08-28-08 03:13 PM
    Pete, thanks for this it is great - makes things a lot easier. Once I run Desktop Manager, it comes back and lists all the updates that need to be done...

When I click 'Update Now' in DM 4.6, nothing happens for some reason. Any clue as to what is wrong? I tried to paste the screen-shots unsuccessfully.
    I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble.

THE ONE THING that you need to do with CrackMem is to Remove the Vendor.xml file. This is essential.

The other thing is not to use Put It Back until after the installation - if you use it at all. See JeffH's comments about this.

I'd also like to point you to the Help text since I wrote it specifically to help first time upgraders. It also contains a load of links to extra resources.

Please come back here if you feel you need more free advise, worth every cent.
    08-28-08 05:14 PM
    Pete6, Many thanks! I will check your thread sometime when update coming up..
    My demon programmer, alien_scum is off depleteing the world's beer supply right now and I have no idea where in the world - literally he is.

I am open to suggestions as to what could go into v2.5 and above but reserve the right to decide what I actually publish.

I am also anxious to get some stuff in there for the Bold if I can.

I am also thinking about keeping CrackMem just as a memory tool and publishing another (free) program to do some of the other stuff that needs doing like IT Policy removal.

Please tell me what you think.
    08-28-08 05:21 PM
1,625 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD