Awesome work Pete6.

Dm
    08-06-08 04:47 PM
    Pete6, you are the man!!! I've was running into all kinds of trouble getting .66 installed, but reinstalling DTM did the trick! Thanks so much!!

Will it be necessary to reinstall every time I want to update the OS. No biggie, but takes a small bit.
    08-07-08 12:18 PM
    Wow, I should have searched the forums to find this before I put OS 4.5 on my 8110!!! It looks like it simplifies the process!~
    08-07-08 10:21 PM
    can I just delete the vendor themes using CrackMem but without re-installing the OS?? I already have 4.5.0.55 installed and i dont want to go thru the long proses of re-installing again juz to delete the vendor themes... many thanxxx
    08-11-08 10:58 AM
    this is fantastic!
    08-11-08 01:03 PM
    Hey Pete, just used Crackmem to upgrade my 8130 to OS 4.5.0.66. All went smoothly, and it freed up a bunch of memory too (some of which is because the OS is lighter, but also because CM made getting rid of extra bloat really easy). Thanks for a great program, it's a keeper.
    08-11-08 02:12 PM
    Guys Just found this proggy, I have the latest Op system installed and the latest 4.5 desktop software but when I run the program it sais no op system selected and I cant fire it up because it cant find it. Any idea guys thanks?.
    08-14-08 02:58 PM
    CrackMem is a GREAT program...Excellent programming Pete!
    08-14-08 03:00 PM
    Guys Just found this proggy, I have the latest Op system installed and the latest 4.5 desktop software but when I run the program it sais no op system selected and I cant fire it up because it cant find it. Any idea guys thanks?.
    There are two possible reasons for this.

1). You have your Program Files folder on a different disk from C: This will get fixed in the next release. It was a mistaik on my part when we were programming.

2). You are running Vista and have not set the program to run as Administrator. Please see the Help text for how to fix this.
    08-14-08 03:08 PM
    Yes I am running Vista but I have UAC disabled , I tried the run as admin but same result, no problem I will wait for another release.
    Thanks for the fast reply.
    08-14-08 03:45 PM
    Yes I am running Vista but I have UAC disabled , I tried the run as admin but same result, no problem I will wait for another release.
    Thanks for the fast reply.
    Does CrackMem display and Operating Ststems in the left hand panel?

If it does, select it and then confirm the OS choice with the big button at the bottom of the OS Selection Panel.

If there are no OSs displayed then I am puzzled. The only time that I have seen this is where the PC is configured to be multi-boot (Windows/Linux) and this forces the Windows boot disk to be other than C: This I will fix as soon as I can. It is an easy fix but requires some programming.

Other than that, I am unable to offer a solution right now. I am really sorry.
    08-15-08 03:44 AM
    Man I love you Pete, this prog is continuing to be a great help! first thing i go for when upgrading.
    08-16-08 06:13 PM
    Will this program work with OS 4.5.0.69?
    08-17-08 08:26 PM
    Does CrackMem display and Operating Ststems in the left hand panel?

If it does, select it and then confirm the OS choice with the big button at the bottom of the OS Selection Panel.

If there are no OSs displayed then I am puzzled. The only time that I have seen this is where the PC is configured to be multi-boot (Windows/Linux) and this forces the Windows boot disk to be other than C: This I will fix as soon as I can. It is an easy fix but requires some programming.

Other than that, I am unable to offer a solution right now. I am really sorry.
    I am running Vista 64 bits , is this the problem?
    08-18-08 12:12 AM
    Thanks for this Pete, works great on Vista and XP.
    08-18-08 01:53 AM
    I am running Vista 64 bits , is this the problem?
    I do not have a Vista 64 bit system to test on but if you look back through this thread (Post #86) you will see that at least one forum member was able to make CrackMem work on Vista 64. We did this by checking the name of the 32 bit Program File folder.

This has to be a folder naming problem. Can you let me know the full folder name to the OS. We are checking for C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OS-folders-here
    in Vista 64.

If yours is different from this CrackMem won't find the folder.
    08-18-08 01:35 PM
    I used CrackMem about a month ago to remove the pre-installed wallpaper, pre-installed video and carrier themes to gain more internal memory. This worked well as I have gained a few more MB's. When I selected to remove these did it also automatically remove the sample folder icons and other stuff that I don't know about? Reason is: when I go into the Media app, then select Explore from the menu key, all the folders under 'Device Memory/samples' such as contacts, folder icons, mms, music, pictures etc... are empty. I don't know if these folders had stuff in there before the CrackMem since I did not check. I'm wondering if this is the reason why I am not able to change my new folder icon on my Home Screen.

Also, why didn't CrackMem remove all the carrier themes? Actually, which one did it remove?

Still have:
    BB Dimensions icon
    BB Dimensions L
    BB Dimensions Today
    BB Dimensions Zen
    Last edited by Nick917; 08-18-08 at 05:52 PM.
    08-18-08 05:46 PM
    Also, why didn't CrackMem remove all the carrier themes? Actually, which one did it remove?

Still have:
    BB Dimensions icon
    BB Dimensions L
    BB Dimensions Today
    BB Dimensions Zen
    ^^I think you should re-read this question/quote.

Those are not carrier themes. Whatever carrier your phone came from is the theme removed, NOT blackberry themes.
    08-18-08 10:21 PM
    ediggity is quite right. You NEED the BBDimension themes. Delete them and you get a black and white screen and no icons - kewl.

These themes may really be regarded as part of the OS, just like the pre-installed pics and that's why I don't remove them. I tried, just once - oh sh!t.

All the themes draw upon them for software display routines.

Carrier theme will be removed by CrackMem. If it had no there would have been at least one named T-Mobile there as well.

CrackMem does not touch anything on the Media Card. It only removes certain specific files from the OS folder usually before instalation. The names of thes files may be viewed in the CrackMem help file.

If this did not answer your questions, then please post again.
    Last edited by Pete6; 08-19-08 at 04:22 PM.
    08-19-08 03:36 PM
    I am trying to update my Alltel 4.3.0.124 to the 4.5.0.56 and have dl'd the OS and Crackmem but when I open Crackmem it says "No Operating System could be found". Was I supposed to put the new OS software in a certain location/folder? I am running XP SP2. Thanks for the help.
    08-19-08 07:30 PM
    I am trying to update my Alltel 4.3.0.124 to the 4.5.0.56 and have dl'd the OS and Crackmem but when I open Crackmem it says "No Operating System could be found". Was I supposed to put the new OS software in a certain location/folder? I am running XP SP2. Thanks for the help.
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

Once you have downloaded the OS you need to install it by double-mouse-clicking on it and just following the prompts. Hopefully after this has been done CrackMem will then find the OS.

Since this is your first post, I would suggest that you do two things prior to attampting an OS upgrade.
    1). wait a few days until you are more familiar with yur new phone, Desktop Manager, Syncing, Backup/Restore and application install/removal.

2). read the help text in CrackMem and read some of the links in there relating to memory optimization and disaster recovery.

Lastly you should familiarize your self with some of the terms used in these forums so that if things go wrong, and I hope that they do not, we will all be talking about the same meanings when specific terms and keywords are used.
    08-20-08 01:10 AM
    Thank you, yes I missed that critical first step of executing the .exe file (that was pretty dumb of me), after I did that everything worked fine. Media player (video only) seems to reboot my curve on occasion with OS 4.5.0.56 and for some reason my calendar wont show the first two appointments I have on the BB Dimension Today screen as it did with 4.3.0.124, but I can live with both for the time being.
    BTW - Crackmem worked great after I overcame my rookie mistake. Thanks Pete
    08-20-08 12:40 PM
    Thanks, Pete. It is my second favorite tool to use. My first is the berry. Works for me.
    08-20-08 12:53 PM
    Thank you, yes I missed that critical first step of executing the .exe file (that was pretty dumb of me), after I did that everything worked fine. Media player (video only) seems to reboot my curve on occasion with OS 4.5.0.56 and for some reason my calendar wont show the first two appointments I have on the BB Dimension Today screen as it did with 4.3.0.124, but I can live with both for the time being.
    BTW - Crackmem worked great after I overcame my rookie mistake. Thanks Pete
    The Calendar non-display issue is well known. Try resending your service books aor, syncing or a backup/restore. There's a more complicted solution too but one of these normally does the trick.
    08-20-08 01:17 PM
    Not quite sure how to resend your service books aor, but was able to restore proper function by way of back up and restore. Thanks again.
    08-20-08 06:16 PM
1,625 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD