Thanks for the quick reply. I should have read the tutorial better regarding xml.
    08-02-08 08:25 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I should have read the tutorial better regarding xml.
    Using CrackMem is a little like trying to put the butter into a sandwich after you have made it.

RIM/BlackBerry have an established installation procedure and I have to slide in between two layers of this procedure.

The help text is definitely worth a look. It took me bl00dy ages to write and I have tried hard to give people procedures and resources that will be of use rather than telling you what you already know.
    08-02-08 08:38 AM
    My problem is that after I dl the OS from verizon, DM 4.5 doesnt not recognize my 8330. I have verified the OS (4.3.0.127). The latest release from verizon is dated 5/7/08 and my curve is only 3 weeks old so I believe I have the right OS. Crackmem sees my OS but when i verify it the OS does not turn red. I have checked the box Remove vendor xml, but if the OS listing doesnt turn red will it work? Do I have to manually delete the vendor xml file for DM to recognize my Curve?
    08-02-08 11:08 AM
    My problem is that after I dl the OS from verizon, DM 4.5 doesnt not recognize my 8330. I have verified the OS (4.3.0.127). The latest release from verizon is dated 5/7/08 and my curve is only 3 weeks old so I believe I have the right OS. Crackmem sees my OS but when i verify it the OS does not turn red. I have checked the box Remove vendor xml, but if the OS listing doesnt turn red will it work? Do I have to manually delete the vendor xml file for DM to recognize my Curve?
    When you select the OS, the OS name should appear in BLUE directly above the button. I changed the color when I changed the background color of the main CrackMem panel. Have a look at the help text. It explains it in there.

Once you have done that, you may select to modules that yo uwish to remove. Select them making sure that you at least opt to remove Vendor.xml. Click Execute Selection and it should work very quickly.

Once this is done, you should click Run Desktop Manager and it will (hopefully) begin the OS installation process automatically.

Again, there is a step by step guide in the help text as well as a fall back option if things do not go as planned.

Try this and get back here if you are still stuck.
    08-02-08 11:52 AM
    Did everything, but OS installation did not start automatically when I ran DM although Dm recognizes my BB. Not sure what to do next. Sorry for the many questions but I would hate to brick my phone!
    08-02-08 12:14 PM
    Did everything, but OS installation did not start automatically when I ran DM although Dm recognizes my BB. Not sure what to do next. Sorry for the many questions but I would hate to brick my phone!
    I would hate you to brick your phone too.

Try clicking the Application Loader button and the try Add/Remove or Update to see if the install starts. You MUST see your PIN number displayed at the bottom left of the DM panel. If you see this, then DM recognizes your phone and then start pressing buttons.

I assume that you have this file: 8330uEFS_PBr4.3.0_rel203_PL3.1.0.73_A4.3.0.127_Spr int.exe. For this file to work on a Verizon phone, Vendor.xml MUST be removed.
    08-02-08 02:00 PM
    Pete, this made my day. What a fantastic program. I have over 30mb of free memory now (under 4.5.0.69)! Totally amazing!

Many thanks...
    08-02-08 03:49 PM
    Pete - thanks a lot for the app.

I have an issue, i dont think its the app, but hopefully you can help out. I installed the OS first, once it was installed I came back and worked with CrackMem. Is it still supposed to work?

I did everything correctly, or so I assume. The modules that I selected to remove have been removed from their folder, BUT, when I start DM it doesnt recognize any difference and does not prompt to update. Even if I click on "update", it doesnt seem to realize that some files are missing.

Btw, I just upgraded to 4.5.0.69 and am using DM 4.5

***UPDATE

This post right here resolved my issue

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/crac...tml#post506044

However, for whatever reason, Yahoo msngr was not removed. Oh well, i'll take what I got.

Thanks a lot Pete!
    Last edited by sim_plic_i_ty; 08-04-08 at 03:37 AM.
    08-04-08 01:51 AM
    I would hate you to brick your phone too.

Try clicking the Application Loader button and the try Add/Remove or Update to see if the install starts. You MUST see your PIN number displayed at the bottom left of the DM panel. If you see this, then DM recognizes your phone and then start pressing buttons.

I assume that you have this file: 8330uEFS_PBr4.3.0_rel203_PL3.1.0.73_A4.3.0.127_Spr int.exe. For this file to work on a Verizon phone, Vendor.xml MUST be removed.
    The file I have is 8330EFS_PBr4.3.0_rel202_PL3.1.0.72_A4.3.0 127_Verizon.exe. I have maid sure I check the box removing vendor.xml
    08-04-08 06:02 AM
    The file I have is 8330EFS_PBr4.3.0_rel202_PL3.1.0.72_A4.3.0 127_Verizon.exe. I have maid sure I check the box removing vendor.xml
    So something like 8330-v4.3.0.127_PL3.1.0.72 showed up in CrackMem. I hope so because for CrackMem to work is has to see the installed OS.

Do you see this in CrackMem? [Y/N]

If [Y], then we can proceed. If not then something else is wrong.
    08-04-08 07:08 AM
    Am I missing something...where can I download this???
    08-04-08 04:53 PM
    Am I missing something...where can I download this???
    First page of this thread, bottom of first post.
    08-04-08 04:55 PM
    Thanks timberdc!!! I finally found it after looking several times. This growing old is a b***h!!!
    08-04-08 06:37 PM
    I ran Crackmem and got rid of the carrier themes and the vendor file. I already had manually removed the sample video and sample music. Crackmem ran successfully, I checked the removed folder and all looks good. Now, what do I need to do next? I'm assumming I need to re-install the OS in order for the changes to take effect? If so, how do I do that?

Also, how in the world do I remove the preloaded pictures in the Media application? I was able to easily remove the sample vid and music but can't seem to remove or move the preloaded pics from the device memory. If I add up the total space for the preloaded pics, it comes to 621kb. That would be nice to gain another 621K....unless I added incorrectly.

Lastly, once the stuff I selected is removed, I'm assumming that I can run Crackmem at any time and be able to 'Put Back' the stuff I removed?
    Last edited by Nick917; 08-04-08 at 07:31 PM.
    08-04-08 07:21 PM
    So something like 8330-v4.3.0.127_PL3.1.0.72 showed up in CrackMem. I hope so because for CrackMem to work is has to see the installed OS.

Do you see this in CrackMem? [Y/N]

If [Y], then we can proceed. If not then something else is wrong.
    Yes this shows up in the crackmem program when my BB is connected.
    08-04-08 07:21 PM
    Great Program Pete!!!
    08-04-08 07:57 PM
    Excellet work Pete. Your app rocks my friend.
    08-05-08 05:57 AM
    Excellet work Pete. Your app rocks my friend.
    His application rocks your friend?!

Yikes that must have really hurt your friend, is he okay???

haha... you gotta love the improper use (or non-use) of commas...
    08-05-08 07:28 AM
    i dont know if this was already asked but i tried to wipe my bb 8300 and got to the enter brickmyphone screen but after i clicked wire it started the application loader is that supposed to happen. did it wipe my phone it did not look like it did but it did update it can you help and sorry if it sounds like rambling.????
    08-05-08 03:38 PM
    i dont know if this was already asked but i tried to wipe my bb 8300 and got to the enter brickmyphone screen but after i clicked wire it started the application loader is that supposed to happen. did it wipe my phone it did not look like it did but it did update it can you help and sorry if it sounds like rambling.????
    Yes, this is what is supposed to happen.

Here's why.

The whole concept of CrackMem is to prepare for and to assist OS installation on BlackBerrys.

The command that is issued when you click Wipe Device does several things.

1. It wipes the OS from a BlackBerry that is connected to the USB port.
    2. To do this it uses a RIM (who make BlackBerry) utility called Loader - so it HAS to run it to do the wipe.
    3. Loader automatically examines any connected BLackBerry and will try to install the latest valid OS it can find since it knows that the BlackBerry connected hnow has no OS.

I hope that this help.
    08-05-08 05:29 PM
    His application rocks your friend?!

Yikes that must have really hurt your friend, is he okay???

haha... you gotta love the improper use (or non-use) of commas...
    Yah, non use. D^mn, English teacher wannabes.
    08-05-08 05:31 PM
    Good stuff
    08-06-08 12:41 AM
    Yes this shows up in the crackmem program when my BB is connected.
    Good, now you have removed Vendor.xml and you can 'see' the OS we can move on.

If you are running MS Vista, please follow the instaructions in the CrackMem help file for Vista users before you run it.

Connect your phone to the PC and run Desktop Manager. Hopefully DM will immediately try to upgrade your phone. Please click cancel.
    - sync the phone to Outlook
    - Backup the phone using the Backup
    - Click Applications loader and the update procedure should now start.

If it does not, please come back here.
    08-06-08 12:25 PM
    I ran Crackmem and got rid of the carrier themes and the vendor file. I already had manually removed the sample video and sample music. Crackmem ran successfully, I checked the removed folder and all looks good. Now, what do I need to do next? I'm assumming I need to re-install the OS in order for the changes to take effect? If so, how do I do that?

Also, how in the world do I remove the preloaded pictures in the Media application? I was able to easily remove the sample vid and music but can't seem to remove or move the preloaded pics from the device memory. If I add up the total space for the preloaded pics, it comes to 621kb. That would be nice to gain another 621K....unless I added incorrectly.

Lastly, once the stuff I selected is removed, I'm assumming that I can run Crackmem at any time and be able to 'Put Back' the stuff I removed?
    The best way to find out what to do next is to have a look at the Help file. It has a step by step guide to upgrading your phone using CrackMem. This is geared to never losing your Address Book.

I do not remove the pre-loaded pics because they can be needed by the OS under certain circumstances and if they are not there when it needs them it will go belly up.

The Put It Back button is there to return the OS to its original installed state AFTER installation has successfully completed if you wish or, if you are updating multiple phones, you can chose the options fro each phone.
    08-06-08 12:32 PM
    Good, now you have removed Vendor.xml and you can 'see' the OS we can move on.

If you are running MS Vista, please follow the instaructions in the CrackMem help file for Vista users before you run it.

Connect your phone to the PC and run Desktop Manager. Hopefully DM will immediately try to upgrade your phone. Please click cancel.
    - sync the phone to Outlook
    - Backup the phone using the Backup
    - Click Applications loader and the update procedure should now start.

If it does not, please come back here.
    BTW I am running Xp and dont use Outlook. I have checked the remove vendor, wallpaper and theme boxes in Crackmem and started Desktop manager, applications loader, click next and get No action required! Frustrating!
    08-06-08 04:18 PM
1,625 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD