This will help all of those who couldn't understand
    the memory optimization post/thread
    Looks great to! much fast than last!

May I suggest adding an option to remove:
    1. DoD Root Certs
    2. Password Keeper
    3. All Shopping Icons
    4. Foreign Fonts
    5. net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod a file - for TTY (Deaf People)

all in all, great peice of work!
    Last edited by iamjoel5; 07-16-08 at 05:45 PM.
    07-16-08 05:42 PM
    Pete,
    I run the app and it doesn't remove the preloaded pictures. I thought it removed all that.
    07-16-08 06:18 PM
    Fantastic Program Pete,

1. DoD Root Certs Not worth it. It is small and can be removed by DM. The video is in there because it is so big and such a menace.
    2. Password Keeper Not worth it. It is small and can be removed by DM
    3. All Shopping Icons Do you know the filenames? Would be most helpful.
    4. Foreign Fonts Do you know the filenames? Would be most helpful.
    5. net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod a file - for TTY (Deaf People) This is only 2Kb

Just to confirm your previous post - even though you answered it yourself - CrackMem will display any OS that is installed. The display is dynamic and it goes off and LOOKS for installed OSs aand displayed them all (up to 9).

I can put a modeule remove selection in for anything that has a filename(s) in the Java folder. If you want stuff removed, try to get me specific filenales.

There may come a time when I have to change the look of the program as it is beginning to get too tall for my screen.

I will be releaseing v2.1 next week with a few extra Removes (Yahoo, AIM, MSN) but I can still add others.
    07-16-08 06:21 PM
    Fantastic Program Pete,

1. DoD Root Certs
    2. Password Keeper
    3. All Shopping Icons
    4. Foreign Fonts

Pete,
    Along with these files is there a way to remove the pre-installed ring tones. I know on my phone there are a ton and I don't use any of them.

Great program though and it is so much easier than manually removing the files.
    07-16-08 08:54 PM
    1. What is vendor.xml and what does removing it do?
    The Vendor.xml file is a resource used by RIM to decide if a particular OS and version may be installed on a given phone model, or vendor (carrier sold) device. It prevents verion of an OS being installed on a phone sold by one carrier that may not ahve been released by another. Delting Vendor.xml removes this restriction and allows any version of an OS to be installed on the same model phone.
    Cool! If I do this, will it cause any issues with my Alltel phone in terms of accessing their network? I would assume that is controlled by the service books, not the OS, but since I'm pretty new to this I'd better ask before I brick my phone.

2. What are the vendor themes?
    Vendor (carrier) themes are themes that are forcibly installed on a phone at OS installation time. Themes take u a lot of memory. Each theme consumes different amounts of memory depending on is size, type and complexity. I remove all the carrier themes. There are a lot of them and more apear each time RIM sells its phones to a new carrier. I cannot remove them individually. There are just too many. Remeber that an at&t phone will only have the at&t themes installed. If you tell me a theme that is deleivered with a particular OS then I can tell you the file to remove and how to do it. I can also tell you how to put one single theme (file) back on your phone. Just ask.
    So I'm assuming that if you buy an unlocked phone then it will have ALL themes installed for carriers such as TMobile, Verizon, Rogers, etc. -- but if you have a branded phone sold by a particular carrier (such as my Alltel), then it will only have one theme in the vendor theme file? If so, then removing it won't do me much good I'd guess. What is in the theme? It wouldn't remove the base zen, L, and icon themes, would it? I'm not sure if there is a difference between those and what you are calling a vendor theme. Sorry if this is obvious to most -- I'm still learning about how Blackberries work. I had decent expertise with Palm units, but Blackberries are still a mystery somewhat.

What I want basically are two themes -- icon and L. If all that is removed with the vendor theme is the Alltel wallpaper and not the two I've mentioned, I'd be fine with that.
    Last edited by wbailey; 07-16-08 at 09:13 PM. Reason: corrected typos
    07-16-08 09:11 PM
    Fantastic Program Pete,
    1. DoD Root Certs
    2. Password Keeper
    3. All Shopping Icons
    4. Foreign Fonts
    I second the above. Not sure how much it would save, but I'm all for getting rid of what isn't needed. Are shopping icons the things the carriers install such as Facebook, etc. that are controlled by the service books? Or are they something else? I just hid all those icons, but if I could get rid of programs I don't use that Alltel forces on me, I'd love that!
    07-16-08 09:16 PM
    Just to confirm your previous post - even though you answered it yourself - CrackMem will display any OS that is installed. The display is dynamic and it goes off and LOOKS for installed OSs aand displayed them all (up to 9).

I can put a modeule remove selection in for anything that has a filename(s) in the Java folder. If you want stuff removed, try to get me specific filenales.

There may come a time when I have to change the look of the program as it is beginning to get too tall for my screen.

I will be releaseing v2.1 next week with a few extra Removes (Yahoo, AIM, MSN) but I can still add others.
    I do not have all the names for them off hand at the momemt, but I can research them after awhile. I do not have the time right now

Even though you don't think it's worth it, I'll still post a few just for the sake of thouroughness:

Dod Cert Roots = net_rim_DoDRootCerts.cod
    Password Keeper = net_rim_bb_passwordkeeper.cod and any other .cod's associated with passwordkeeper.
    Shopping Apps = Do not have at this time
    Foreign Fonts = They will have the general theme of "net_rim_font_korean.cod"
    --> Note: These can also be removed while installing the OS (i know you know that Pete, that was for the readers )
    TTY = and of course "net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod"

Note: Quincy, Battery Log, Bugreport can be simply removed by Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, and just remove the program from your computer. This was seen in 4.5.0.44 and possibly higher for the 8310, not loaded in every OS. (Again for the viewers)
    Last edited by iamjoel5; 07-16-08 at 09:52 PM.
    07-16-08 09:50 PM
    Works great! Thanks, Pete
    07-16-08 10:06 PM
    Are shopping icons the things the carriers install such as Facebook, etc. that are controlled by the service books? Or are they something else? I just hid all those icons, but if I could get rid of programs I don't use that Alltel forces on me, I'd love that!
    Yes they are service book delivered, so there is no real way to delete
    them. Hiding is the best bet.
    07-16-08 10:08 PM
    One thing I would like is "leave only vendor theme". I only use the tmo theme bc I like bottom docked and integrated myfaves. Otherwise looks very nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 10:08 PM

It has been tested but I am sure that bugs will appear.
    Amen. It has been my experience that no matter how long or well you beta test, there are bugs hiding in plain site that won't be discovered until after the official release!
    07-16-08 10:49 PM
    Thanks a bunch Pete for simplifying the process!!
    07-16-08 10:51 PM
    I do not have all the names for them off hand at the momemt, but I can research them after awhile. I do not have the time right now

Even though you don't think it's worth it, I'll still post a few just for the sake of thouroughness:

Dod Cert Roots = net_rim_DoDRootCerts.cod
    Password Keeper = net_rim_bb_passwordkeeper.cod and any other .cod's associated with passwordkeeper.
    Shopping Apps = Do not have at this time
    Foreign Fonts = They will have the general theme of "net_rim_font_korean.cod"
    --> Note: These can also be removed while installing the OS (i know you know that Pete, that was for the readers )
    TTY = and of course "net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod"

Note: Quincy, Battery Log, Bugreport can be simply removed by Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, and just remove the program from your computer. This was seen in 4.5.0.44 and possibly higher for the 8310, not loaded in every OS. (Again for the viewers)
    Dod Cert Roots, Password Keeper Can be removed by DEsktop Manager easily at any time.

The shopping apps are the real pest. If you can just let me have the names of the shops or web sites of the ads then I will start to track down the filenames. I may not get all of them first time but I can expand this in future versions until they are all gone. But if these are deliivered by Service Bokks as suggested above then there is not much that I can do. The best solution there is to do a Menu, Hide on the icon.

TTY, net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod is only 2Kb
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-17-08 at 01:26 AM.
    07-17-08 01:24 AM
    One thing I would like is "leave only vendor theme". I only use the tmo theme bc I like bottom docked and integrated myfaves. Otherwise looks very nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Carrier / Vendor (I am going to rename this Carrier Themes) are installed on a per carrier basis. Your phone is T-Mobile so it won't get the AT&T or Verizon themes. If you want to keep the T-Mobile theme just do not check the box and the one single T-Mobile theme will install.

Similary if you want MyFaves then just leave it unchecked.

On my AT&T phone I too can leave MyFaves unchecked because MyFaves is a T-Mobile only app.
    07-17-08 01:31 AM
    Dod Cert Roots, Password Keeper Can be removed by DEsktop Manager easily at any time.

The shopping apps are the real pest. If you can just let me have the names of the shops or web sites of the ads then I will start to track down the filenames. I may not get all of them first time but I can expand this in future versions until they are all gone. But if these are deliivered by Service Bokks as suggested above then there is not much that I can do. The best solution there is to do a Menu, Hide on the icon.

TTY, net_rim_phone_tty_enabler.cod is only 2Kb
    Yes they are service book delivered, so there is no real way to delete
    them. Hiding is the best bet.
    well it seems as if what amazinggrace is saying is true, then we're stuck with them. Would be nice though. and 2kb is nothing.

Thanks for the responses Pete, that's about all I could think of that could possibly be added to your software. Great prog!
    07-17-08 02:14 AM
    well it seems as if what amazinggrace is saying is true, then we're stuck with them. Would be nice though. and 2kb is nothing.

Thanks for the responses Pete, that's about all I could think of that could possibly be added to your software. Great prog!
    I'll try to find out about the shopping apps. If you have any on your phone then please have a look at your service books to see if this is how they are distributed. For sure these are a pain in the a$$ and we would all be better off without them.

I am reluctant to duplicate removals that can be accomplished in Desktop Manager since I reckon that RIM does a better job than me in not installing apps.

What I am trying to is to get the major surplus memory hogs off the phone.

I am not really trying to offer a right-down-to-the-byte configuration service.
    07-17-08 02:21 AM
    This looks outstanding, Pete! I was hesitant to try the other version, so this will be much better for most people I'd think. Though I used DOS a lot, it was years ago so I was afraid of screwing it up.

2. What are the vendor themes? Are there themes hidden there for companies other than my provider (Alltel) I don't know about or are you referring to the default themes that come preinstalled (zen, L, icon, today)? I don't use my Alltel wallpaper, but don't want to remove all themes either. I use the default L theme right now, but at times I switch to icon so I want to have the installed themes there since other themes build on them.Can you select which ones to remove or does this remove all of them?
    Here is a list Themes
    I don't use alot of themes, so I delete all that I can. However, you need to keep your carrier specific theme, and IMO, all basic net_rim_theme_bbdimension themes.(these themes will NOT have a vendor number associated with them)
    So, if you're on AT&T I recommend you leave AT&T's theme and bbdimension themes...delete the rest. Carrier vendor numbers are as followed:
    AT&T: 102
    VZW:105
    Sprint: 104
    T-MO: 100
    Rogers: 107
    Bell: 109
    Telefonica: 129
    TIM: 115
    T-MO UK: 114
    Vodafone: 120
    O2: 125
    Orange: 119

-I.E. This will be a theme for AT&T - net_rim_theme_102a_icon_320x240_b.cod
    so basically if I have AT&T I would remove all net_rim_theme_*** that didn't have "102" listed in the name"

These will be found in => C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles--then click on your version OS
    Last edited by iamjoel5; 07-17-08 at 02:29 AM.
    07-17-08 02:24 AM
    Amen. It has been my experience that no matter how long or well you beta test, there are bugs hiding in plain site that won't be discovered until after the official release!
    If you click the 'Confirm OS Selection' button wirhout selecting an OS it gives a 'List index out of bounds (-1)' error.

I also want to try and put in a confirmation password 'BrickMyPhone' to confirm the 'Wipe Device' selection button. The password will be published on the button and in the help text. It is just that I do not want people accidentally bricking phones and losing all their personal data by accident.
    07-17-08 02:27 AM
    Here is a list Themes
    I don't use alot of themes, so I delete all that I can. However, you need to keep your carrier specific theme, and IMO, all basic net_rim_theme_bbdimension themes.(these themes will NOT have a vendor number associated with them)
    So, if you're on AT&T I recommend you leave AT&T's theme and bbdimension themes...delete the rest. Carrier vendor numbers are as followed:
    AT&T: 102
    VZW:105
    Sprint: 104
    T-MO: 100
    Rogers: 107
    Bell: 109
    Telefonica: 129
    TIM: 115
    T-MO UK: 114
    Vodafone: 120
    O2: 125
    Orange: 119

-I.E. This will be a theme for AT&T - net_rim_theme_102a_icon_320x240_b.cod
    so basically if I have AT&T I would remove all net_rim_theme_*** that didn't have "102" listed in the name"

These will be found in => C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\Share d\LoaderFiles--then click on your version OS
    All true. When I remove the carrier themes, I issue the command to move the files net_rim_theme_1*.cod from Java to RemovedFiled\selectedOS folders. This get all of 'em.

I leave the BBDimension themes as they (especially Zen) are needed to provide all other themes with 'video libraries' for want of a better term.
    07-17-08 03:02 AM
    Pete,
    I run the app and it doesn't remove the preloaded pictures. I thought it removed all that.
    I will check that. Thanks for letting me know. It will now have to go into v2.2

EDIT|: I just checked and what I removie is the wallpapers (net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.cod and net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b.cod) which saves between 2 & 3 Mb depending on device and OS version.

I do not touch the icons, tunes and pictures for two reasons.

1. I was advised by John Clark not to do this since the themes sometimes use these files
    2. It only saves about 70 Kb of memory.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-17-08 at 07:36 AM.
    07-17-08 06:15 AM
    CrackMem v2.1 is now released.

Please download it from the OP. There's a little explanation of what's changed there too.

Thanks

Pete
    07-17-08 06:30 AM
    Thank you! I'll give it a try when I do another upgrade or a buddies phone.
    07-17-08 10:37 AM
    I'll try to find out about the shopping apps. If you have any on your phone then please have a look at your service books to see if this is how they are distributed. For sure these are a pain in the a$$ and we would all be better off without them.

I am reluctant to duplicate removals that can be accomplished in Desktop Manager since I reckon that RIM does a better job than me in not installing apps.

What I am trying to is to get the major surplus memory hogs off the phone.

I am not really trying to offer a right-down-to-the-byte configuration service.
    Understood.

Wouldn't they just be reestablished once the service book were
    resent if, in fact, there was a way to remove them?

Edit: I wonder if we can have technical support remove them
    from my device specific service book file so they will never be sent
    ...hmmm. I will call and report back.
    Last edited by iamjoel5; 07-17-08 at 12:34 PM.
    07-17-08 11:53 AM
    Sweet, just gave it a workout with the latest and greatest.

Works great.
    07-17-08 12:46 PM
    Sweet, just gave it a workout with the latest and greatest.

Works great.
    No it doesn't. The Put It BAck function seems to have taken a vacation. I is now fixed and I am just uploading v2.2 I have had to cjhange the layout from vertical to horizontal.

Hope you like it.
    07-17-08 12:56 PM
1,625 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD