Thanks again Pete.

Just updated my 8130 to OS .122.

Used your latest update and and everything worked flawlessly as always.

I must confess that I was aware of issues with DM 4.7, but I got lazy and used it with no problem. Got lucky? I did disconnect from the the internet before updating.

I let the DM handle everything after I used your program. It found the updates, re-installed all 3rd party apps with no concerns. Am running,3 google apps, weather eye, viigo, smart short cuts, drink mixer and soft reset.

Also, some managed to get back 3 megs which is a big deal because of memory drain.

Thanks again Pete.
    Last edited by frfghtr; 02-01-09 at 03:31 PM.
    02-01-09 03:29 PM
    I am a Curve 8310 newbie trying to install CrackMem on my Vista system. Following the instructions at the top of this thread, I find that in \Desktop\CrackMem shortcut\CrackMem Properties\Compatibility\Privilege Level, the "Run this program as an administrator" option is greyed out and cannot be selected. Could this be something as simple as because I always run my Vista account with administrative privileges and User Account Controls turned off I don't need to make this selection?

I have tried my best to find the answer in this thread and others but as I am busy busy busy it often makes me too stupid to learn.
    Last edited by OhmEye; 02-01-09 at 06:38 PM. Reason: clarity
    02-01-09 04:18 PM
    I just got my replacement phone for my Pearl and my OS is now 4.5..I upgraded my DM to 4.5 and now when I run Crackmem, it still shows 4.3. I removed it from my computer and then downloaded it again. Still shows up as 4.3 for the OS...does not give me a choice of 4.5.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get Crackmem to show 4.5?

Thanks so much...
    02-02-09 11:23 AM
    The OS needs to be installed on your computer for CrackMem to work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 11:25 AM
    Did you download the new OS to your computer and install? You would need to do that first.

02-02-09 11:26 AM
    So how do I install the OS to my computer? I thought I just had to upgrade my DM? Do you have a link? Thanks so much!!!
    02-02-09 11:37 AM
    I am a Curve 8310 newbie trying to install CrackMem on my Vista system. Following the instructions at the top of this thread, I find that in \Desktop\CrackMem shortcut\CrackMem Properties\Compatibility\Privilege Level, the "Run this program as an administrator" option is greyed out and cannot be selected. Could this be something as simple as because I always run my Vista account with administrative privileges and User Account Controls turned off I don't need to make this selection?

I have tried my best to find the answer in this thread and others but as I am busy busy busy it often makes me too stupid to learn.

You need to enable User Account Control. Reboot the PC. Then you can enable the admin privileges. After you do that you can disable User Account Control. Reboot the PC and you're good to go.
    02-02-09 12:16 PM
    You need to enable User Account Control. Reboot the PC. Then you can enable the admin privileges. After you do that you can disable User Account Control. Reboot the PC and you're good to go.
    Thank you, rickjs! That absolutely did the trick.
    02-02-09 08:43 PM
    I'm still a little confused as to what all crackmem does. I see you can tell it not to install certain modules to conserve memory which would help speed up your device, but what else does it do? Add extra features? Change the look of the UI?

02-02-09 09:29 PM
    I'm still a little confused as to what all crackmem does. I see you can tell it not to install certain modules to conserve memory which would help speed up your device, but what else does it do? Add extra features? Change the look of the UI?

CrackMem is a one function utility. It does nothing but help you free up memory. But it does that exceptionally well. I don't know that more free memory makes your device run any faster. It just lets you run more apps. For people with pre-8330 64k machines, that's huge. For Bolds and Storms, less so. CrackMem doesn't touch the UI at all.
    02-02-09 09:36 PM
    Ok. So in your opinion, would it be worth it to reinstall my OS using CrackMem to free up more space? I currently have the latest OS on my blackberry already, so idk if it'd be worth the hassle, but then again it might be. I have the Pearl 8130 with OS 4.5 on it.

02-02-09 09:50 PM
    Ok. So in your opinion, would it be worth it to reinstall my OS using CrackMem to free up more space? I currently have the latest OS on my blackberry already, so idk if it'd be worth the hassle, but then again it might be. I have the Pearl 8130 with OS 4.5 on it.

It just depends on how much optimizing you've already done. CrackMem automates the advanced steps in the Memory Optimization Procedure. The MOP is also linked in my sig. You can do EVERYTHING CrackMem does manually. It'll just take you longer and you might make a mistake. CrackMem already knows the names of the files that it removes. If you're doing it manually, you have to find them and move them yourself. CrackMem was originally written to automate that manual process. If you have a Pearl and you've never MOP'd it, it will definitely be worth your time to do so. If you don't want to install or reinstall an OS, then you can MOP it by hand. You'll get the same result either way: more free memory.
    02-02-09 10:02 PM
    I think I'll go ahead and reinstall the OS. I don't really have the time to MOP it manually, besides the fact I have a program on here that I installed using PocketMac and now it won't uninstall from there and doesn't show up in the application list. I'm new to blackberry (just got mine in December) so I don't know very many tips or tricks yet. I haven't really done any optimization on my pearl at all besides a couple built in programs that I didn't want. Thanks for your help! I'm glad I found this thread, I was never real happy with the lack of memory on my BB.

02-02-09 10:24 PM
    Unless the MOP can be done on the device instead of doing it on a computer, in which case it would be better for me that way cause I'm on my BB way more than I'm on the comp.

02-02-09 10:32 PM
    Both CrackMem and the MOP require you to download and install your BlackBerry's OS on your PC. You do all the OS manipulation on the PC, then install the OS on the device. There is a device-based program called MaxMem that you can use. The MOP talks about it as well. The MOP is an excellent memory management tutorial, whether you use it or not.
    02-02-09 10:39 PM
    Ok. Thanks for all the help! I'll see what I can do.

02-02-09 11:47 PM
    Hi Pete,

I have done numbers of OS upgrade for my 8310 (Ooh, no more beta after 124 ) and 8900 (just installed 144 ) but I never done a wipe. Thanks to you I use CrackMem to upgrade. Now if I want to wipe the device before uploading the OS, how and when should I do that. I notice there is a "Wipe" button on the CrackMem window. Also I don't have any 3rd party apps. but only few OTA themes. Can you point out in which step below I should do the wipe;

UPGRADING YOUR OS USING CRACKMEM
    - Download and install the OS that you wish to install on your phone
    - Download and install Desktop Manager 4.5 from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
    - Download CrackMem from the end of this post
    - Unzip CrackMem (double click and select 'Extract all files' from the menu on the left. There is only one file.
    - Connect your phone and make sure that Desktop Managher can connect to it. Watch for your PIN number to appear at the bottom of the Desktop Manager panel.
    - Kill Desktop Manager but leave your phone connected to your PC
    - Run CrackMem
    - Select the Operating System you wish to install
    - Confirm your choice with the 'Confirm Operating System Selection' Button and the selected OS will be displayed in red.
    - You can change your choice now if you wish.
    - In the MODULE REMOVAL section pick as many modules to remove as you wish. Make sure that you check the box for 'Remove Vendor.xml'
    - Once you have finished slelecting, click 'Excecute Slection' and youi will see an 'Action Completed' box appear. CLick to dismiss it.
    - Click the 'Desktop Manager' button.
    - Instalation of the Operating System should begin automatically.
    - Carefully select the modules you wish to install.

Thanks in advance Pete.
    02-03-09 01:46 PM
    Hi Pete,

I have done numbers of OS upgrade for my 8310 (Ooh, no more beta after 124 ) and 8900 (just installed 144 ) but I never done a wipe. Thanks to you I use CrackMem to upgrade. Now if I want to wipe the device before uploading the OS, how and when should I do that. I notice there is a "Wipe" button on the CrackMem window. Also I don't have any 3rd party apps. but only few OTA themes. Can you point out in which step below I should do the wipe;

UPGRADING YOUR OS USING CRACKMEM
    - Download and install the OS that you wish to install on your phone
    - Download and install Desktop Manager 4.5 from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22
    - Download CrackMem from the end of this post
    - Unzip CrackMem (double click and select 'Extract all files' from the menu on the left. There is only one file.
    - Connect your phone and make sure that Desktop Managher can connect to it. Watch for your PIN number to appear at the bottom of the Desktop Manager panel.
    - Kill Desktop Manager but leave your phone connected to your PC
    - Run CrackMem
    - Select the Operating System you wish to install
    - Confirm your choice with the 'Confirm Operating System Selection' Button and the selected OS will be displayed in red.
    - You can change your choice now if you wish.
    - In the MODULE REMOVAL section pick as many modules to remove as you wish. Make sure that you check the box for 'Remove Vendor.xml'
    - Once you have finished selecting, click 'Excecute Slection' and you will see an 'Action Completed' box appear. CLick to dismiss it.

Wipe Device Here using CrackMem

- Click the 'Desktop Manager' button.
    - Instalation of the Operating System should begin automatically.
    - Carefully select the modules you wish to install.

Thanks in advance Pete.
    See Bold Section Above
    02-03-09 02:29 PM
    OK ClintRo, I'll give it a try.. thanks. Btw, have you done this? Just curious
    02-03-09 03:45 PM
    Oh one other thing, does the OTA theme survive?
    02-03-09 03:48 PM
    okay i have a question. Does crackmem work with DM 4.7? because you tut tells me install 4.5. I do not know if this just isn't up to date or if i need v4.5
    02-03-09 05:40 PM
    okay i have a question. Does crackmem work with DM 4.7? because you tut tells me install 4.5. I do not know if this just isn't up to date or if i need v4.5
    You can use CrackMem with DM4.7, but you have to disconnect your PC from the internet during the upgrade process to keep DM4.7 from causing problems. The Help File addresses the issue. I recommend people just use DM4.6. It doesn't have the problem. There's no need to roll back to DM 4.5.
    02-03-09 06:55 PM
    OK ClintRo, I'll give it a try.. thanks. Btw, have you done this? Just curious
    Yes I have done it a few times.

02-03-09 08:26 PM
    What if my os does not appear in red?

When I clicked on the desktop manager button on crackmem nothing happened, so i open the desktop manager from my desktop and it started uploading items is this right?
    02-03-09 09:35 PM
    Hi Pete,

I have few questions regarding wiping a device using CrackMem. I have followed all the steps and thanks to ClintRo I know when to hit the Wipe button. After I hit the Wipe button it prompt a confirmation and you have to type BrickMyPhone. After doing that Wizard window pop-out and since it isn't on your instruction list I canceled it and hit the Device Manager button as per instruction instead and right away the DM is up and I choose uploader. My question is why isn't my device show error 507 when it is supposed to be wiped or bricked the device and how do I know that the device is wiped.

Also, I choose to delete among others, PTT and carrier's theme. But when all is done I still have the PTT and AT&T theme. I repeat the whole process again but still the PTT and AT&T theme are there. So I have to manually remove the cod files from Java folders and repeat the whole process again and only after that the PTT and AT&T theme are gone. Why is it not removed.

Other applications such as Facebook, GoogleTalk, Window Messenger are removed but after re-register host routing it was pushed back to the device. Is there anyway to permanently remove this.

Thank you and appreciate your comments.
    02-05-09 12:32 PM
1,625 ... 3536373839 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD