Hi, I have followed all the steps. CrackMem finds the correct OS etc and once I have selected what I want to remove I click execute then desktop manager but nothing loads. If I then open the D Manger manualy it comes up with the update and what not but is this correct? Don't want to install it incase it isnt.
    Many thanks
    01-23-09 04:02 PM
    Thanks for the reply! I got it and now I will read and search and use it..

You're the Best
    01-23-09 04:20 PM
    Hi, I have followed all the steps. CrackMem finds the correct OS etc and once I have selected what I want to remove I click execute then desktop manager but nothing loads. If I then open the D Manger manualy it comes up with the update and what not but is this correct? Don't want to install it incase it isnt.
    Many thanks
    Sounds like it did what it was supposed to do. To be sure, check the contents of the RemovedFiles folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion. If the OS folder in RemovedFiles is full of files then you are good to go. CrackMem works very fast.
    01-24-09 01:17 AM
    Why can't I unzip the zip file? It always says corrupted file...
    01-24-09 10:17 PM
    I just downloaded the zip file to my PC and it unzipped and installed just fine.
    01-25-09 07:15 AM
    Thinking about this some more, it might be a bad idea to reset the OS state. It makes more sense to leave everything 'as moved and used for install' so the apps loader sees the same fileset every time. Newbies are not going to restart CrackMem every time they load Desktop Manager to sync to PC. (God forbid that they might also make a backup at the same time....)

I think this makees it a better idea to consider saving the state of CM checkboxes so they can be repopulated on startup. A simple text file (ini) should be easy to implement if considered desirable.
    Great program. I've read all 59 pages (took a couple days) and Help to make sure I understand as much as possible. The above (post #492) has me confused and I didn't see these issues discussed anywhere else.

I used CM on .90 for the Storm after it was installed on the Storm. I understand not everything will be removed using CM post-install.

Perhaps someone can explain the above in some other terms. If using DM 4.7 and simply syncing such things as contacts, etc. from Outlook to the Storm, is there a problem in just doing it without using CM each time? Should you disconnect from the internet each time you use DM? Why "God forbid they might also make a backup at the same time"?

I can't figure out any adverse results in creating a backup. If DM 4.7, while connected to the internet, will automatically recognize that some typical files have been removed and reinstall them each time it is opened, then I can see the problem there. Doesn't being disconnected from the internet solve this problem? Doesn't DM still prompt you before installing the newly found files (if that's what it does) before installing them?

Possibly I'm over-analyzing the quoted post but I didn't understand it which caused me try to consider various areas implied in the post. I understand that either using the lower version DM or stopping 4.7's auto update might solve these issues, if such issues are really present. Nevertheless, it might be a good idea to either rule-in or rule-out any concerns regarding syncing and/or backups after utilizing CM.
    01-25-09 10:51 AM
    Try unzipping another zip file. If I and 960 others have dowloaded and instaled the same zip file, which they have, then I suggest that maybe the problem lies at your end.
    01-25-09 04:47 PM
    Great program. I've read all 59 pages (took a couple days) and Help to make sure I understand as much as possible. The above (post #492) has me confused and I didn't see these issues discussed anywhere else. branta and I were kicking around sme ideas for possible enhancements. His suggestion was that CrackMem be made to remember which OS had been selected (CrackMem supports up to nine) and which of the various boxes for Module Removal had been checked. His idea was that the program came back up in the same state as it was when you last quit the program.

I used CM on .90 for the Storm after it was installed on the Storm. I understand not everything will be removed using CM post-install.

Perhaps someone can explain the above in some other terms. If using DM 4.7 and simply syncing such things as contacts, etc. from Outlook to the Storm, is there a problem in just doing it without using CM each time? Should you disconnect from the internet each time you use DM? Why "God forbid they might also make a backup at the same time"?
    To sync or Backup / Restore you do not need CrackMem at all. All these are Desktop Manager functions and CrackMem should never be used here. WHen you upgrade your OS, DM will Backup your phone before it wipes the phone and commences OS installation. If this is not clear then please re-ask the question and we will have another go at it.

I can't figure out any adverse results in creating a backup. If DM 4.7, while connected to the internet, will automatically recognize that some typical files have been removed and reinstall them each time it is opened, then I can see the problem there. Doesn't being disconnected from the internet solve this problem? Doesn't DM still prompt you before installing the newly found files (if that's what it does) before installing them? There are no adverse effects in creating a Backup at ANY time. When using DM 4.7 and CrackMem to upgrade the OS, it is neccessary to disconnect the PC from the internet or, follow the steps in this post http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-xml-file.html to prevent this from occurring in the future. I do not use DM 4.7 preferring DM 4.6 instead. DM 4.7 has a reputation for being buggy.

DM 4.7 will indeed download some (but not all) files from a carrier released (non-beta) OS over the internet and its inconsistent behaviour is not well understood. This is why many of us opt to install the earlier version instead.

Possibly I'm over-analyzing the quoted post but I didn't understand it which caused me try to consider various areas implied in the post. I understand that either using the lower version DM or stopping 4.7's auto update might solve these issues, if such issues are really present. Nevertheless, it might be a good idea to either rule-in or rule-out any concerns regarding syncing and/or backups after utilizing CM. I do not believe that you are over-analyzing at all. As I explained above, the does it/does it not debate is related more to did a carrier release the OS (thus making it official and a valid entry in the RIM database for an upgrade) and the fact that not all files will always be replaced - we do not know why. MAybe it is critical files only or maybe the RIM database is not yet 100%. These are just guesses.
    I think that you deserve some kind of an award for wading through all those pages. How did you stay awake? Like I said, if you wish to discuss these or any other issue further, please re-post.
    01-25-09 05:09 PM
    Pete6, have you experimented with renaming the removed files, instead of moving them to removed folder. I've never downloaded 4.7 and played with it. Just thinking it might keep DM from reinstalling CM removed files. I can see the potential of a newbie having DM tell them there's updates, and reloading that which CM had already removed. Having CM open with the same boxes checked would be handy, but as quickly as you have been improving the program, I'm willing to bet I'll be using another version next update. That's not a criticism, but a compliment!
    01-25-09 05:40 PM
    I am running Crackmem 3.0 and it has always performed flawlessly on many upgrades. I did run into a problem though when attempting to install 4.5.0.124 on my Curve 8310. I am using DM 4.6, but for some reason, Crackmem failed to remove PTT and VAD. I have done countless upgrades through all the 4.5 betas, and official releases with no problem -- until .124. Can Pete enlighten me here? Crackmem is seeing .124 and allowing me to select it. Its deleting everything else, just not PTT and VAD.
    01-25-09 08:42 PM
    I have DM 4.7 and just downloaded and installed crackmem 3.3
    I have a curve 8900 with tmobile, i'm trying to upgrade my os to .133. I have used crackmem before and never had a problem.
    I removed the vendor.xml file and a few other items, clicked on execute selections, then launch DM, when the DM looks for the new files, it says there are no upgrades for my phone
    any ideas?
    thanks
    01-26-09 09:42 AM
    DM4.7 interacts with CrackMem's operations in ways that are not well understood. Refer back to Post #884 by Pete. I recommend you uninstall DM4.7 and install DM4.6 until the 4.7 issues can be resolved.
    01-26-09 09:50 AM
    Thanks Jeff, I must have missed that post, I will try that.
    thanks again,
    clive
    01-26-09 09:56 AM
    Seems to have worked, it's updating now.
    Thanks again Jeff!
    regards,
    clive
    01-26-09 10:05 AM
    I am running Crackmem 3.0 and it has always performed flawlessly on many upgrades. I did run into a problem though when attempting to install 4.5.0.124 on my Curve 8310. I am using DM 4.6, but for some reason, Crackmem failed to remove PTT and VAD. I have done countless upgrades through all the 4.5 betas, and official releases with no problem -- until .124. Can Pete enlighten me here? Crackmem is seeing .124 and allowing me to select it. Its deleting everything else, just not PTT and VAD.
    Sorry for the delay. I had a real hectic day yesterday. I did not get home till 11PM from work. Try deleting the RemovedFiles folder from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion. There is a known bug in all versions of CrackMem (that will shortly get fixed) which prevents files being deleted from the OS Java folder if and only if there is an existing same filename already in the RemovedFile+OSname folder. This happens when you try to upgrade to the same OS twice and have reinstalled the OS on your PC thus creating an available 2nd copy of the file.

I just never thought of this when we wrote the program.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-27-09 at 05:23 PM.
    01-27-09 01:26 AM
    every time i try to download it , it says application not found ....... im about to kill my self lol.
    01-28-09 01:22 PM
    For the sake of not reading through 60 pages of post, will this allow you to simply view what is on the phone or CAN be loaded on the phone or will it allow dynamic changes to the device? The reason I ask is, I have .90 installed and really don't have any problems with it, but wanted to see what was going on with the device WHILE it is running. Will this allow functionality such as this?
    01-28-09 03:51 PM
    ... will this allow you to simply view what is on the phone or CAN be loaded on the phone or will it allow dynamic changes to the device? The reason I ask is, I have .90 installed and really don't have any problems with it, but wanted to see what was going on with the device WHILE it is running. Will this allow functionality such as this?
    CrackMem is a PC app; it cannot be loaded on your phone. I understand not wanting to read 60 pages. The best way to understand it is to download the app and install it. It's a single file. Pete has written an excellent help file that explains what it does and how it does it. Read that, and if you still have questions, fire away.
    01-28-09 10:41 PM
    I just attempted to do this for the first time, all software is the updated version. When I hit the Desktop manager button, it launched but did NOT update. I then selected a few apps that I could do without and it came up with a bunch of items being removed, but I did not see vendor.xml as one of them. It seems to have worked (PTT is gone and ATT Theme is gone). I would like to get rid of the media purchasing crap too. Any insite on how to do that?
    01-30-09 07:05 PM
    You can delete them from your service books, but you'll probably still have to hide the icons. They're just a couple K each, not a big deal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 07:14 PM
    Help my crackmem does not work on my computer!! It does not recognize my computers OS, which is Vista. I did try applying the administrator function - run as administrator - for Vista and it still doesn't work!!
    01-31-09 10:24 AM
    Help my crackmem does not work on my computer!! It does not recognize my computers OS, which is Vista. I did try applying the administrator function - run as administrator - for Vista and it still doesn't work!!
    That is very odd. Many people, me included have successfully run CrackMem under both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista.

You say that it does not recognise your computer's OS. I assume that this means that CrackMem did not display a Blackberry OS that you had doenloaded and installed on your PC. Is tis the problm you are trying to solve?

I currently know of one case where that still happens and it is when Program Files resides on a different drive letter from the Windows folder. However if, like most, your Program Files folder is on the C: drive along with the Windows folder then CrackMem wil find the installed OS.
    01-31-09 10:32 AM
    Sweet, thanks!!

I just noticed that when I updated the software to 4.5 and all thoes icons showed up, it really started being slow. After the CrackMem it is way faster though. Was just hoping for a way to get rid of the annoyance.
    01-31-09 01:16 PM
    There is support (untested so I need feedback) for Vista 64 bit systems.
    I'm setting up a new, clean PC running Vista 64-bit. I've installed DM 4.7 and crackmem 3.1. I also set up crackmem to run as administrator.

After I connect my Curve 8320 running OS 4.5 and open crackmem, I get a dialog window: "No Operating Systems could be found". Dismissing it opens crackmem with an empty listbox for the operating system selection. I get this regardless of whether or not I fire up DM 4.7 and let it connect.

Suggestions? Downgrade to DM 4.6?
    02-01-09 01:14 PM
    I'm setting up a new, clean PC running Vista 64-bit. I've installed DM 4.7 and crackmem 3.1. I also set up crackmem to run as administrator.

After I connect my Curve 8320 running OS 4.5 and open crackmem, I get a dialog window: "No Operating Systems could be found". Dismissing it opens crackmem with an empty listbox for the operating system selection. I get this regardless of whether or not I fire up DM 4.7 and let it connect.

Suggestions? Downgrade to DM 4.6?
    I definitely recommend you use DM4.6 instead of 4.7, but that's not the problem here. CrackMem is telling you you don't have the 8320's OS installed on your PC. You have to download the OS to your PC and double-click the exe to install it before CrackMem can use it. You won't be able to install it on your 8320 until you've installed it on your PC.
    02-01-09 01:19 PM
1,625 ... 3435363738 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD