thanks for the explanation. Everything makes perfect sense now.

Great site btw!
    01-16-09 12:01 PM
    How about removing the Babylon AD movie from the storm... it's 18 megs but I can't see it in folder anywhere?
    01-16-09 06:09 PM
    Is there a reason it won't remove the Sprint theme from the prerelease of the Sprint os 4.5? I tried removing it several times with no luck!
    01-16-09 06:57 PM
    How about removing the Babylon AD movie from the storm... it's 18 megs but I can't see it in folder anywhere?
    See Post #800 above. I don't have a Storm to test it, but that explanation may fit your situation.
    01-16-09 08:00 PM
    New to CrackMem 3.1. Running .86 on Storm 9530. I selected to remove Facebook & Flickr on the CrackMem menu but they are still there on the device under Applications. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    01-17-09 09:57 AM
    Am I understanding this app correctly, that is sets up the OS files on the PC correctly before they are transferred to the device? So its main function is to modify things before the actual install?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-09 10:48 AM
    Am I understanding this app correctly, that is sets up the OS files on the PC correctly before they are transferred to the device? So its main function is to modify things before the actual install?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That was the original intent. Later Pete and others noticed that it could be used to add / remove files AFTER the initial install.
    01-17-09 11:32 AM
    BB 8300 running 4.2.2.89
    want to upgrade to latest. trying to use CrackMem to perform upgrade. followed directions to the "t". Upgraded BB desktop to latest (4.6), downloaded CrackMem and latest BB OS (4.5). Ran CrackMem (with device plugged in but no desktp running) and received "No OS found" message.
    Does new OS need to be in a certain directory?
    Doesn't even find my existing OS - odd?
    Should I use the standard BB101 upgrade instructions instead of CrackMem?
    Surely, the problem is btwn the chair and the keyboard - hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance.
    01-17-09 12:09 PM
    thanks i have just figured everything out and started removing things i did not need.

Is there a list anywhere that shows how much memory these items use on the phone?

i removed the carrier themes, wallpapers and video. Is there anything else that i should remove that would free up more space?

At the bottom there is another box that says RENAME DOCUMENTSTOGO alx FILE

Rename to OLD or ALX?? What exactly is this and what should i choose. I read the help section but cant figure out if i should change it

I have the storm 9530 with .86 OS

Thank You
    01-17-09 12:51 PM
    BB 8300 running 4.2.2.89
    want to upgrade to latest. trying to use CrackMem to perform upgrade. followed directions to the "t". Upgraded BB desktop to latest (4.6), downloaded CrackMem and latest BB OS (4.5). Ran CrackMem (with device plugged in but no desktp running) and received "No OS found" message.
    Does new OS need to be in a certain directory?
    Doesn't even find my existing OS - odd?
    Surely, the problem is btwn the chair and the keyboard - hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance.
    It's not sufficient to download the OS exe file. You have to double-click the exe to install the OS as an application on your PC. Then CrackMem can find it. It sounds like you don't have your existing OS installed either. There's no need to install it if you're about to upgrade, but you must at least have the exe available so you can install it if you need to roll back.
    01-17-09 01:39 PM
    Very wierd.. d/l and installed 4.5.0.124 onto my 8310. Ran Crackmem 3.1.. found new OS. Executed checked actions. Then ran loader (per version install thread), new OS installed ok w/extra memory avail but found that deleted items weren't all deleted, most notibly vendor theme and vad (most annoying).

So, I deleted installed OS folder, re-ran install OS. re-ran CrackMem. Then deleted vad files manually from java folder. Then ran apln loader. Said no changes needed. So, how do I kill VAD?? LOL

>> next attempt...

Re-ran apln loader. said updates avail for many system files. said to update. came back w/msg "the system aplns that are currently installed on your device are newer than those available with this version of the BB device software. click options if you want to install older aplns" -- clicked options -- warning "adding this s/w will downgrade your current aplns. do you want to continue?" clicked yes. showed screen w/apln upgrade details and looked at modules.. said installed version 4.5.0.124 - available version 4.5.0.81.

But, where is .81 coming from. I don't have anything but the download file on my system. The only OS in program files-shared-common-RIM-shared-loader is 8310-v4.5.0.124_ps.7.0.92

Does any of this make sense??
    Last edited by sheldonbk; 01-17-09 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added >> next attempt
    01-17-09 11:46 PM
    It's easier to point you to where I think the answers are than to try to explain or repeat them. Start reading at post #746 to see what is most likely the explanation for the failure to delete VAD. Post #800 explains how to get rid of the wallpapers.
    01-18-09 09:02 AM
    OK I know its been answered here in the 50 some-odd pages, but here I am. Sprint 8330 wanting to upgrade to 4.5 OS, using DM 4.7, Crackmem 3.1, followed instructions, everything fine until step 15 in crackmem, I click on DM and nothing happens, it wont open, also I am disconnected from the Internet. I can open DM without Crackmem, while disconnected from the internet and it will show the new OS, I selected it, checked which options I wanted to load, clicked next, and a warning came up: "after upgrade you will need to activate wirelessly to continue to use BB services" what the heck is this? I cancelled install, and here I am
    01-18-09 11:41 AM
    and a warning came up: "after upgrade you will need to activate wirelessly to continue to use BB services"
    IIRC this warning comes up on a BES hosted Blackberry when upgrading the OS. You would need to reconnect to your BES server, so don't try the upgrade when the BES admin isn't around. You should probably talk to them anyway before you go ahead.
    01-18-09 12:00 PM
    Well, that sounds all fine and dandy,except I dont have a BES, this is a personal cell phone using Sprint BIS
    01-18-09 12:18 PM
    im sorry can somebody please explain what the purpose is of using this program to install an os on your blackberry??
    01-18-09 01:34 PM
    Do you have any idea of the filename please? It is child's play to remove any file from the Java folder prior to installation but I need to know which one.
    01-18-09 01:41 PM
    That was the original intent. Later Pete and others noticed that it could be used to add / remove files AFTER the initial install.
    Jeff, you are quite right, that was a very nice surprise. A less nice surprise was that on the Bold and Storm phones CrackMem was not able to remove certain files,notably ringtones and wallpaper/pics that the OS had locked in place after installation

So whilst the post install trick works (provided you have the exact same OS on your phone and on your PC) most of the time the best way by far is to do the removals right before you install to the phone.
    01-18-09 01:45 PM
    im sorry can somebody please explain what the purpose is of using this program to install an os on your blackberry??
    Short answer: It saves memory.
    01-18-09 01:46 PM
    Well, that sounds all fine and dandy,except I dont have a BES, this is a personal cell phone using Sprint BIS
    Try resending your Service Books. That will probably fix it

Here's alink to help you How do I resend my service books? - BlackBerryFAQ
    01-18-09 01:48 PM
    thanks i have just figured everything out and started removing things i did not need.

Is there a list anywhere that shows how much memory these items use on the phone?

i removed the carrier themes, wallpapers and video. Is there anything else that i should remove that would free up more space?

At the bottom there is another box that says RENAME DOCUMENTSTOGO alx FILE

Rename to OLD or ALX?? What exactly is this and what should i choose. I read the help section but cant figure out if i should change it

I have the storm 9530 with .86 OS

Thank You
    Initiall I listed the file sizes that I removed and that worked fine for media files but with so many phones and OSs I simpy cannot do the research neccessary to find out what space each individual file takes up on each phone - sorry.

Thre is a very comprehensive Help file in CrackMem. I know, I wrote all of it. There is an explanation of the DocumentsToGo.ALX to .OLD function there.
    01-18-09 01:53 PM
    Short answer: It saves memory.
    how? do i have to do a complete handheld wipe to take advantage of the memory optimization?
    01-18-09 01:54 PM
    Both approaches work. CrackMem is simply a program that does the work for you. If you read the CrackMem Help text then you will see that a). I reference the original guides (how do you think I learned - ). b). All the files I remove are the same as the ones in the older guides.

I now remove more files because as new OSs and phones have appeared, I have updated my program but the guides seem to have remained static.

However there is no substitute for knowing exactly what you are doing and if you take the time to learn how to remove each and every file on every phone and every OS then, Sir, I have work (unpaid, same as me) for you.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-18-09 at 01:59 PM.
    01-18-09 01:57 PM
    Thanks Rooster. I'm on it. I just checked the program code. This will be easy.
    For sure Pete, any time!

On a side note, I've been thinking about doing a short series of Newb Guides and wanted to do a step by step of dumping files with pix using crackmem. Do you think this will be okay?

Wanna get your permission first beforehand. Lemme know. Will do one with the next OS update.

Cheers and keep up the great work!
    01-18-09 02:30 PM
    For sure Pete, any time!

On a side note, I've been thinking about doing a short series of Newb Guides and wanted to do a step by step of dumping files with pix using crackmem. Do you think this will be okay?

Wanna get your permission first beforehand. Lemme know. Will do one with the next OS update.

Cheers and keep up the great work!
    Sure, go ahead but you may wish to wait until the next release or so cuz I am planning some program very minor logic changes and there may (not sure) be a new button on the CrackMem panel.

I also need to write a whole new section in the Help file. If what you write is as good as your last pictorial guide then I'll stick it in to the help text and give you credit if that is OK.
    01-18-09 03:17 PM
1,625 ... 3132333435 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD