thanks for the help
    01-14-09 02:07 AM
    Thanks. Much Appreciated. 73
    I think you just admitted that you are a fellow ham radio operator! 73 from AC�BA
    01-14-09 07:57 PM
    I think you just admitted that you are a fellow ham radio operator! 73 from AC�BA
    There is a thread around for Radio Amateurs.
    01-15-09 01:05 AM
    Thanks Rooster. I'm on it. I just checked the program code. This will be easy.
    mmmmmmm do i smell an update soon
    01-15-09 01:19 AM
    Hey Pete6, I'd love a version for Mac!!!!! Please let us mac users have your wonderful program.
    01-15-09 06:19 PM
    Hey Pete6, I'd love a version for Mac!!!!! Please let us mac users have your wonderful program.
    There's not much point. Desktop Manager will not run on a Mac and you cannot install a BlackBerry OS on a Mac and CrackMem needs both of them to work.

I also have my time cut out just keeping up with the Windows version.
    01-15-09 06:30 PM
    mmmmmmm do i smell an update soon
    If I get the time, towards the end of next week but I cannot promise anything. I run my own PC repair and networking business and since Christmas I am rushed off my feet. The PC business has nearly finished paying off my mortgage so I am quite keen at the moment.

Regrettably CrackMem has to take a back seat for a while.

On to p of all this I am coming to visit my 25 year old son in Charlotte, NC at the end of next month and I am trying to set things up before I leave.
    01-15-09 06:34 PM
    There's not much point. Desktop Manager will not run on a Mac and you cannot install a BlackBerry OS on a Mac and CrackMem needs both of them to work.

I bet you do have your time cut out my friend, but CrackMem is the greatest thing since sliced bread for me when I am upgrading. I used to remove everything manually, which i learned how to do from Reed. You guys are great...
    01-15-09 06:34 PM
    Could someone explain why I need crackmem
    01-15-09 06:39 PM

Awww...when desktop Manager for Mac gets released will you create one for us? It would be helpful since it was just voted the best utility app. We're getting there.

I mean, Mac OSX IS the superior operating system, no matter what Jobs has told you and what the business world says.
    01-15-09 06:53 PM
    I was thinking the same thing too....
    01-15-09 06:53 PM
    I'm a STORM 9530 user and would like to remove the modules only and do not want to upgrade from my existing .75 firmware.

However, when running the CrackMem program, it's saying there were no OS detected, when i tried to execute the removal instructions.

Is there anyway to get around this?

TIA
    01-15-09 07:14 PM
    I was thinking the same thing too....
    Pete explains it clearly in the first post of the thread. If you read that, and can't understand what the program does, you're not ready to use it. Run the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. CrackMem automates many of the steps in the MOP. Understand the MOP and you'll know how to use CrackMem.
    01-15-09 09:12 PM
    i just bought a storm and i am not to familar and what everything is and how it works. i got version 4.7.0.75 which i think is the newest OS for the phone. I have read through the post and other links to try to figure this thing out. Since i dont need to update my OS how to i put this version into the select operating system box?

I am not sure were to go to DL it in there and I have read multiple links for this and still cant figure it out.

Any suggestion on how I can get Crackem working on my PC would be great.

i am just trying to delete all the wallpapers and pictures on my phone that are not needed to free up the space.

thanks
    01-15-09 09:27 PM
    Pete explains it clearly in the first post of the thread. If you read that, and can't understand what the program does, you're not ready to use it. Run the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. CrackMem automates many of the steps in the MOP. Understand the MOP and you'll know how to use CrackMem.
    Pretty sure I can do most of the basic functions using the advanced options-> applications and delete options there or through my desktop manager.

So basically, Crack Mem is a program for those who can't do things without having something automate it for you?

I am ready to use it and consider myself very experienced in the BB world. I just don't find any use to use it.

It's not that I don't understand what CrackMem does...it's just I don't understand why I need it.
    01-15-09 09:28 PM
    Pretty sure I can do most of the basic functions using the advanced options-> applications and delete options there or through my desktop manager.

So basically, Crack Mem is a program for those who can't do things without having something automate it for you?

I am ready to use it and consider myself very experienced in the BB world. I just don't find any use to use it.

It's not that I don't understand what CrackMem does...it's just I don't understand why I need it.
    Ok, that's a valid distinction. CrackMem automates the steps in the MOP that we used to do manually. There's nothing it does that you can't do for yourself. It just does it much faster, with no chance of error, and it creates a recovery folder so you can easily undo a mod if you don't like the results.
    01-15-09 10:07 PM
    Ok, that's a valid distinction. CrackMem automates the steps in the MOP that we used to do manually. There's nothing it does that you can't do for yourself. It just does it much faster, with no chance of error, and it creates a recovery folder so you can easily undo a mod if you don't like the results.
    That's why I make a back up on Desktop manager at work. Plus, I feel more comfortable doing things myself instead of letting a piece of software do it. And there is ALWAYS room for error....never use absolutes.
    01-15-09 10:36 PM
    I mean, Mac OSX IS the superior operating system, no matter what Jobs has told you and what the business world says.
    I lpve it when Crackberry members have a sense of humor . If the Linux based Mac OS were even close to Windows then it would occupy more than 10% of the market .
    01-16-09 05:00 AM
    That's why I make a back up on Desktop manager at work. Plus, I feel more comfortable doing things myself instead of letting a piece of software do it. And there is ALWAYS room for error....never use absolutes.
    rackMem is fairly reliable. A lot more so that doing it yourself. It has been tested by over 4000 downloads. I wrote it so as to not have to manually remove files from the Java folder each time I upgraded. I could never remember all the different file names for both my phones. Plus I never actually delete a file I move it so tat you can put it back.

CrackMem will do in 1 seconds what you can do manually in 5 minutes BUT CrackMem will not make a mistake, you possibly could.

CrackMem does not touch the phone, it operates only on the OS installed on your PC hard disk. It has nothing to do with making a Backup.
    01-16-09 05:05 AM
    So do you or do you not want the software?? First you beg for it then you tell us you will not use it....

Pete thank you for this software so I dont have to spend a lot of time manually doing these steps all the time.
    01-16-09 07:10 AM
    I'm a STORM 9530 user and would like to remove the modules only and do not want to upgrade from my existing .75 firmware.

However, when running the CrackMem program, it's saying there were no OS detected, when i tried to execute the removal instructions.

Is there anyway to get around this?

TIA
    Any suggestions?
    01-16-09 09:09 AM
    You simply need to install the Storm OS on your PC. Download the same version you have on your Storm. Double-click the exe file and it will install on your PC. CrackMem will find it and you'll be able to delete modules. Since it is the same OS version as is on your phone, it won't upgrade anything.
    01-16-09 09:49 AM
    Fantastic! thanks for the clarification.

I've performed everything as recommended, and although my APP memory did increase some, the SAMPLE PICTURES are still there!

Don't know what else I can do to handle this.
    01-16-09 10:23 AM
    Getting rid of sample picture needs to be done on the Storm prior to OS installation. The file you need to remove is net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod. CrackMem does not yet handle this file but it will in the next release because I shall out it in.

What happens is this. RIM bundle all the pics and whatnot up into the cod file above just like a zip file. At install time they open up the file and install each of the picture on the Storm This is why you cannot see the .cod file on your phone.

The troubl eis, RIM locks the wallpaper files and once they are installed, they cannot be removed.

The ONLY way to remove the wallpapers and other rubbish is to remove the cod file before you start. There are 4 pages of posts in the Storm forum about this. All it needed was a few lines of text to explain what was really going on.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-16-09 at 12:48 PM.
    01-16-09 11:01 AM
    There are 4 pages of posts in the Storm forum about this. Al it needed was a few lines of text to explain it.

Isn't that always the case?????
    01-16-09 11:43 AM
1,625 ... 3031323334 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD