1). I do not understand this stuff with Loader.exe. DM calls Loader. That is why it is there. What files do you think are left behind?

2). Wiping always wipes the phone clean. If you see JVM 507 then there is no OS present on the phone. Use CrackUtil rather than JL_Cmder. They do the same thing byt CrackUtil has more functionality.

3). Desktop Manager 4.6 is solid. It runs fine. There are soemtimes problems with the USB connection. RIM have a fix for this here View Document

There is no magic to this. It's just a phone. It does what I tell it.

Maybe you have a computer problem. Which OS are you running?

Looks like I am experiencing something that others have see.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...32#post1367632

"JRSCCivic98 suggests removing two files net_rim_bb_medialoader_360x480_t.cod and net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_360x480_t.cod. These two files contain multiple media files that are unbundled (unzipped) on the phone. Once this has happened the unbundled files cannot be removed as they are locked by the OS because it thinks it needs them.

The only way to avoid these files getting onto your phone then the two files above must be deleted BEFORE you install the OS on the phone. There are a number of ways to do this. The files are located on your PC in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\OS-name\Java. You need to delete the two files from the Java folder prior to OS installation."

I've done this and the files are still there, I will try with DM 4.6.
    Last edited by davewolfs; 01-08-09 at 07:19 PM.
    01-08-09 07:05 PM
    I tried 4.6 and it worked. Thanks for all the help, someone should post a sticky for n00bs like me not to use 4.7.
    01-08-09 08:14 PM
    I tried 4.6 and it worked. Thanks for all the help, someone should post a sticky for n00bs like me not to use 4.7.
    JRSCCivic98 is referring to two media files that CrackMem removes. As JRSCCivic98 and I both said in the thread you linked to, these files must be removed prior to OS instalation. DM 4.7 has the ability to upgrade your phone over the Internet. It also has the ability to "repair" a OS that has missing files by downloading them at install time. This was documented by John Clark in November last year http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-xml-file.html. John refers to only the Vendor.xml file but I have noted that this happens with any critical OS file. From RIM's standpoint, this is just about all of them.

The fixes are:
    • Use DM 4.6
    • Disconnect the Internet from your PC prior to starting the upgrade
    • Do what John outlines
    John Clark is one of the very few truly knowledgeable BlackBerry intellects and has made a number of truly seminal posts.

My opinion is that if you are intending to only upgrade to carrier releases and not try and tweak your OS, then you should run DM 4.7 and allow internet updates. If, like me you wish to tinker with what modules you allow on your phone then perhaps DM 4.6 + CrackMem / CrackUtil is a better choice.
    01-09-09 03:02 AM
    What is everyone's issue with DM 4.7? I use it with Crackmem and haven't had any real issues to speak of.
    01-09-09 03:21 AM
    What is everyone's issue with DM 4.7? I use it with Crackmem and haven't had any real issues to speak of.
    I do not wish to start a Desktop Manager discussion in the CrackMem thread but briefly DM 4.7 has the excellent ability to upgrade your OS via the internet. It will upgrade your phone to the latest available OS from your carrier. This is a great feature for those users wishing to do only this.

If you are running a later OS than your carreir release, DM 4.7 will offer to downgrade your OS to the latest carrier release.

If the OS is the carrier release and you have modified the OS with CrackMem then DM 4.7 will replace the removed files at OS install time. This is not such a useful feature for CrackMem users.
    01-09-09 03:52 AM
    JRSCCivic98 is referring to two media files that CrackMem removes. As JRSCCivic98 and I both said in the thread you linked to, these files must be removed prior to OS instalation. DM 4.7 has the ability to upgrade your phone over the Internet. It also has the ability to "repair" a OS that has missing files by downloading them at install time. This was documented by John Clark in November last year http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-xml-file.html. John refers to only the Vendor.xml file but I have noted that this happens with any critical OS file. From RIM's standpoint, this is just about all of them.

The fixes are:
    • Use DM 4.6
    • Disconnect the Internet from your PC prior to starting the upgrade
    • Do what John outlines
    John Clark is one of the very few truly knowledgeable BlackBerry intellects and has made a number of truly seminal posts.

My opinion is that if you are intending to only upgrade to carrier releases and not try and tweak your OS, then you should run DM 4.7 and allow internet updates. If, like me you wish to tinker with what modules you allow on your phone then perhaps DM 4.6 + CrackMem / CrackUtil is a better choice.

Just to add, i did follow your instructions so that the auto update was disabled and all vendor.xml files were removed. Also, my internet was not connected at any time. This produced the same results. Interestingly enough, 4.6 worked on the first try.
    01-09-09 07:57 AM
    Hey Pete,

You should change the title of the thread since you are on 3.xxx now

Thanks for all your work on this!!!
    01-09-09 08:10 AM
    Just to add, i did follow your instructions so that the auto update was disabled and all vendor.xml files were removed. Also, my internet was not connected at any time. This produced the same results. Interestingly enough, 4.6 worked on the first try.
    Dave, I believe you absolutely but I do no understand what is going on here. DM 4.7 is somehow finding the file to put back. How it is doing this I have no idea especially since your internet is disconnected.

Until we get to the bottom of this - I do not have the time for the next week or so, the best thing to do is to run DM 4.6. If you have time to mess around with this then I really would welcome your help, input and findings. I suspect so will the rest of the CrackBerry nation.
    01-09-09 08:14 AM
    When I plug my phone in and select what I want removed, I just press execute and it should be off just like that? Or is there something else I have to do?
    01-11-09 08:08 PM
    Pete: This looks like a great program. What about 4.7.0.85 for the 9530? IT looks like this would downgrade to .75. I would like to get rid of a lot of the modules listed but with .85 running, I thought it best to ask first. 73 hudres
    01-11-09 10:29 PM
    Thanks for this... it works great!
    01-12-09 03:14 AM
    Pete: This looks like a great program. What about 4.7.0.85 for the 9530? IT looks like this would downgrade to .75. I would like to get rid of a lot of the modules listed but with .85 running, I thought it best to ask first. 73 hudres
    CrackMem will work with all the current Storm OSs. So you should be good to go.
    01-12-09 03:17 AM
    When I plug my phone in and select what I want removed, I just press execute and it should be off just like that? Or is there something else I have to do?
    For CrackMem to work you need to have the exact same OS installed on your PC as you have on your phone. This is the file reference fo removal/inclusion. You then use CrackMem to remove the modules you do not want. Now connect your phone and run Desktop MAnager. Select Applications Loader and things should work fine.
    01-12-09 04:49 AM
    Hey Pete, thanks again for all your great work. Just wanted to drop some info on my experience with using crackmem with the 86 upgrade.

I basically chose to dump virtually everything that I could possibly select for the storm.

I chose flickr and facebook as well however, while the app deleted the net_rim_bb_facebook/flickr.cod files the following files remained (assume net_rim_bb precedes each of these files and that they are all cod files):

facebook_help_de
    facebook_help_en
    facebook_help_es
    facebook_help_fr
    facebook_help_it
    facebook_help_nl
    facebook_resource_large

flickr_help_de
    flickr_help_en
    flickr_help_es
    flickr_help_fr
    flickr_help_it
    flickr_help_nl
    flickr_resource_large

Strangely enough, it did delete these files for the other IM apps.

Anywho, I manually dumped from the java folder.

Cheers!
    01-12-09 06:35 PM
    Hey Pete, thanks again for all your great work. Just wanted to drop some info on my experience with using crackmem with the 86 upgrade.

I basically chose to dump virtually everything that I could possibly select for the storm.

I chose flickr and facebook as well however, while the app deleted the net_rim_bb_facebook/flickr.cod files the following files remained (assume net_rim_bb precedes each of these files and that they are all cod files):

facebook_help_de
    facebook_help_en
    facebook_help_es
    facebook_help_fr
    facebook_help_it
    facebook_help_nl
    facebook_resource_large

flickr_help_de
    flickr_help_en
    flickr_help_es
    flickr_help_fr
    flickr_help_it
    flickr_help_nl
    flickr_resource_large

Strangely enough, it did delete these files for the other IM apps.

Anywho, I manually dumped from the java folder.

Cheers!
    Thanks Rooster. I'm on it. I just checked the program code. This will be easy.
    Last edited by Pete6; 01-12-09 at 06:43 PM.
    01-12-09 06:40 PM
    CrackMem will work with all the current Storm OSs. So you should be good to go.
    Thanks. Much Appreciated. 73
    01-12-09 07:01 PM
    how do i download this
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

01-12-09 10:54 PM
    how do i download this

From the bottom of Post #1 in the thread. It's a zip file. Download it, unzip it, run the exe to install it. It's a single file.
    01-12-09 10:57 PM
    From the bottom of Post #1 in the thread. It's a zip file. Download it, unzip it, run the exe to install it. It's a single file.
    all i see is the image at the bottom

01-12-09 11:02 PM
    all i see is the image at the bottom

I've already shut down my PC, but I'm sure pete hasn't removed it. The zip file is below the images.

01-12-09 11:10 PM
    i love this program Pete...Thanks a bunch!
    01-13-09 01:38 AM
    Am I the only one who can't get the link to download this? I click on all the highlighted files in this post from my XP machine and nothing. Is there another download site?

Thanks.
    01-13-09 03:59 PM
    The attachment is inserted at the very bottom of the first post, below all the screen shots. You're not the first person to have a little trouble seeing it.

There aren't any alternative download sites.

01-13-09 04:06 PM
    Am I the only one who can't get the link to download this? I click on all the highlighted files in this post from my XP machine and nothing. Is there another download site?

Thanks.
    im with ya

01-13-09 04:35 PM
    Am I the only one who can't get the link to download this? I click on all the highlighted files in this post from my XP machine and nothing. ...
    im with ya...
    The attachment is found at the BOTTOM of the first post, as shown here:

01-13-09 09:52 PM
1,625 ... 2930313233 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD