Ok, I've searched the Help files and the forums, but I still can't get Crackmem to find the installed OS's on my PC. I have XP set up to install all programs to the D: drive, instead of C:. Is this my problem? When I start CM, it says 'no operating systems found'.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    CrackMem will work just fine with any drive as the Windows drive. The most likey reason for the message is that there are currenly no BlackBerry OSs installed on your PC. The downloaded BlackBerry OS is a single file that is a PC application and needs to be installed by doble click it and then following the prompts. Once this is done then then CrackMem should find the OS and display it.

If you have done this then we need to investigate further. Please let me know what happens as if there is a bug, I need to fix it.
    12-29-08 06:32 AM
    I downloaded and installed crackmem, but the software does not recognize my bb... Please help!
    12-29-08 08:12 AM
    File analysis from 8900-v4.6.1.101_P4.2.0.72 Entel_PCS download (RIM)

net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_89xx_480x360.cod 7.4 MBytes, Removable
    <media
    name="net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_89xx_480x360"
    copyright="Research In Motion, 2006-2006"
    security="Open"
    series="8900"
    >

<folders>
    <folder src="videos" dst="samples/videos" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="JohnMayer.mp4"/>
    </folder>
    </folders>

net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x360_b.cod 4.2 MBytes Removable
    <media
    name="net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x360_b "
    security="Open"
    target-display="480x360x16"
    series="8900"
    >

<folders>
    <folder src="pictures" dst="samples/pictures" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="Art.png"/>
    <file name="Bridges.png"/>
    <file name="Dewdrops.png"/>
    <file name="Downhill.png"/>
    <file name="Dunes.png"/>
    <file name="Embossed.png"/>
    <file name="Feather.png"/>
    <file name="Lightning.png"/>
    <file name="Quiver_Tree.png"/>
    <file name="Ripple.png"/>
    <file name="Sunlight.png"/>
    <file name="Tie-Dye.png"/>
    <file name="Wave.png"/>
    </folder>
    </folders>

</media>

net_rim_bb_medialoader_ringtones_89xx.cod 3.5 MBytes Not Removable
    Similar to other 4.6.x.x versions

net_rim_bb_medialoader_100_five_icon_library.cod 2.0 MBytes Removable
    Similar to 8220

net_rim_bb_medialoader_114_five_icon_library.cod 1.0 MBytes Removable
    Similar to 8220

net_rim_bb_medialoader_480x360_b.cod 1.8 MBytes Removable
    <media
    name="net_rim_bb_medialoader_480x360_b"
    security="Open"
    target-display="480x360x16"
    series="8900"
    >

<folders>
    <folder src="folders" dst="samples/folder icons" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="folder01.png"/>
    <file name="folder02.png"/>
    <file name="folder03.png"/>
    <file name="folder04.png"/>
    <file name="folder05.png"/>
    <file name="folder06.png"/>
    <file name="folder07.png"/>
    <file name="folder08.png"/>
    <file name="folder09.png"/>
    <file name="folder10.png"/>
    <file name="folder11.png"/>
    <file name="folder12.png"/>
    <file name="folder13.png"/>
    <file name="folder14.png"/>
    <file name="folder15.png"/>
    <file name="folder16.png"/>
    <file name="folder17.png"/>
    <file name="folder18.png"/>
    <file name="folder19.png"/>
    <file name="folder20.png"/>
    </folder>
    <folder src="mms" dst="samples/mms/pictures">
    <file name="Birthday.gif"/>
    <file name="Dance.gif"/>
    <file name="Drinks.gif"/>
    <file name="Eat.gif"/>
    <file name="LetsGo.gif"/>
    <file name="Movie.gif"/>
    <file name="Party.gif"/>
    </folder>
    <folder src="pictures/contacts" dst="samples/contacts" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="BlueDress.png"/>
    <file name="BlueSuit.png"/>
    <file name="BlueSweatshirt.png"/>
    <file name="BrownShirt.png"/>
    <file name="Construction.png"/>
    <file name="DarkJacket.png"/>
    <file name="DarkSuit.png"/>
    <file name="FemaleDoctor.png"/>
    <file name="GreenJacket.png"/>
    <file name="GreenShirt.png"/>
    <file name="GreenTop.png"/>
    <file name="LeatherJacket.png"/>
    <file name="MaleDoctor.png"/>
    <file name="Mechanic.png"/>
    <file name="OrangeShirt.png"/>
    <file name="PatternShirt.png"/>
    <file name="PurpleTop.png"/>
    <file name="RedCap.png"/>
    <file name="RedJacket.png"/>
    <file name="RedShirt.png"/>
    </folder>
    <folder src="music" dst="samples/music" drmProtection="true">
    <file name="MusicDemo_WorldTraveller.m4a"/>
    </folder>
    </folders>

</media>

VENDOR THEMES
    net_rim_theme_100_zen_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_102_zen_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_114_zen_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_115_zen_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_119_zen_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_precision_silver_480x360_b.cod

net_rim_tmo_five.cod
    net_rim_tmo_five_lib.cod

GAMES
    net_rim_device_apps_games_wordmole_graphics_480x36 0.cod
    net_rim_device_apps_games_wordmole_resources.cod
    net_rim_device_apps_games_wordmole_resources__*.co d
    net_rim_device_apps_games_wordmole_sounds.cod
    Sudoku_v46_480x360.cod
    THK2_v46_480x360.cod

Maybe removable
    net_rim_bb_games_app.cod // looks like networks games play
    net_rim_device_api_games.cod // probably net gaming?

// Looks like AT&T might be planning a webroot jail for wifi access.
    <fileset radio="GPRS-WLAN|UMTS-WLAN" series="8800|8100|8300|9000|kickstart|javelin" Java="1.0" _vendorID="102">
    <files>
    net_rim_captiveportalclient_att.cod
    </files>

net_rim_captiveportalclient_att.cod
    <wap-provisioningdoc>
    <characteristic type="NAPDEF">
    <parm name="NAPID" value="NAP1"/>
    <parm name="BEARER" value="WLAN"/>
    <parm name="NAME" value="AT&amp;T Wi-Fi"/>
    <characteristic type="WLAN">
    <parm name="PRI-SSID" value="attwifi"/>
    <parm name="EDIT-SET" value=""/>
    <parm name="VIEW-SET" value=""/>
    </characteristic>
    </characteristic>

<characteristic type="NAPAUTHINFO">
    <parm name="AUTHNAME" value="#msisdn#@attmobility.com"/>
    <parm name="AUTHSECRET" value="wifipass"/>
    <parm name="AUTHTYPE" value="WISPr"/>
    </characteristic>
    </wap-provisioningdoc>

// Associated with these, loaded globally in the main fileset statement
    net_rim_bb_captiveportaldetector.cod
    net_rim_bb_captiveportalicon.cod

No idea if these can be safely removed for AT&T users. Should not matter for others because the client install is linked to VendorID.
    12-29-08 08:20 AM
    BlackBerry OS 8900 (8900-v4.6.1.101_P4.2.0.72) file bloat not moved by CrackMem v3.1

net_rim_bb_medialoader_video_89xx_480x360.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_100_five_icon_library.cod
    net_rim_bb_medialoader_480x360_b.cod
    net_rim_theme_precision_silver_480x360_b.cod

All other bloatware files appear to be handled as required. Until Pete6 has time to update CrackMem, users may wish to use CrackMem v3.1 and then manually move the list above to 'Removed Files'.
    12-29-08 08:24 AM
    CrackMem will work just fine with any drive as the Windows drive.
    I think this might be the problem. Windows is usually on C: and some users make a 'Program Files' folder on D: which is not the one known to Windows.
    12-29-08 08:28 AM
    Thank you for this excellent piece of software Pete6. The utility is an awesome timesaver when you are upgrading an OS and I recommend it to all my colleagues, business contacts and friends who have BB's!
    12-29-08 02:12 PM
    I think this might be the problem. Windows is usually on C: and some users make a 'Program Files' folder on D: which is not the one known to Windows.
    Could well be. I am not sure how this is handled. I remember douing that sort of thing years ago when I had no disk space. I will have to look at the code tomorrow. It should be easy enought to fix.

The code in CrackMem that handles the OS type, boot disks and where the OS lives will be an object lesson for future programmers by the time we are finished.

Thanks for the stuff on the 8220 too. I will get a new version out in a couple of weeks. I want to make changes to the logic of how existing files are overwritten and to put each OS's Vendor.xml into its own OS folder so that there is no more mix ups with "It won't delete.".
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-29-08 at 02:43 PM.
    12-29-08 02:40 PM
    ...The code in CrackMem that handles the OS type, boot disks and where the OS lives will be an object lesson for future programmers by the time we are finished.
    Sounds like the same issue I had with CrackPic. Remember that? CrackUtil does not have the same problem, so I just use it to take screen pics.
    12-29-08 02:44 PM
    Sounds like the same issue I had with CrackPic. Remember that? CrackUtil does not have the same problem, so I just use it to take screen pics.
    Yes, I do and it has been fixed. I have just been too busy to upload it. I'll get to it in a day or so.

CrackUtil has also had its "no delete log" bug fixed.
    12-29-08 02:51 PM
    I downloaded and installed crackmem, but the software does not recognize my bb... Please help!
    BUMP! Please help I want to use the software but I am not sure how!
    12-29-08 03:21 PM
    Have you downloaded the software? The help file is very good. I'm not sure what you mean by "software does not recognize my BlackBerry"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 04:41 PM
    Could well be. I am not sure how this is handled. I remember douing that sort of thing years ago when I had no disk space. I will have to look at the code tomorrow. It should be easy enought to fix.
    I think some are now doing this to defeat the locks and security imposed by Vista.

The code in CrackMem that handles the OS type, boot disks and where the OS lives will be an object lesson for future programmers by the time we are finished.
    Learning is the process of making the same mistake, once. I'm sure there will be other places where hindsight will show the early decisions could have been better.

Thanks for the stuff on the 8220 too. I will get a new version out in a couple of weeks. I want to make changes to the logic of how existing files are overwritten and to put each OS's Vendor.xml into its own OS folder so that there is no more mix ups with "It won't delete.".
    This from CX might be interesting, and could explain some of the problems reported here. http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/wh...8/#post1232712

8220 - You might get some amusement from the programmer comments I found in net_rim_bb_medialoader_114_five_icon_library.cod - cited in the big analysis. It is also interesting because 114 has more icons than 100 so it looks like the US flag doubles the size of the file, I can't imagine this is a consequence of the DRM change.

8900 is also there. See what you make of the notes I found about CaptivePortal, which could be good or bad depending how it implements. This is specific to AT&T users and so far only in the 8900 OS. Looking again I suspect it is linked to AT&T "public" WiFi hotspots so it might be overall beneficial for AT&T customers. We need someone to test the impact before a decision whether to allow move in CrackMem, or omit any references for the great unwashed newbies. Maybe CX can shed some light if you ask him.
    12-29-08 07:09 PM
    Have you downloaded the software? The help file is very good. I'm not sure what you mean by "software does not recognize my BlackBerry"

Yes I have downloaded it. I looked at the help file. It says you have to dl and install the OS on your computer> how do I do that? Isnt the operating system just for the crackberry?
    When I open the software with the admin priviledges it tells me that "no operating systems could be found". thats what I mean...
    12-29-08 07:25 PM
    this is a pic of the open software...
    12-29-08 07:31 PM
    Isnt the operating system just for the crackberry?
    Yes, but until you install (decompress and copy) the RIM OS files into the correct location on your PC CrackMem and Desktop Manager software which install it to your phone can't find it. You have not downloaded and installed the BlackBerry OS onto your PC you need to do this before you can continue.
    12-29-08 08:55 PM
    Yes, but until you install (decompress and copy) the RIM OS files into the correct location on your PC CrackMem and Desktop Manager software which install it to your phone can't find it. You have not downloaded and installed the BlackBerry OS onto your PC you need to do this before you can continue.
    Ok I downloaded and installed the OS software. Should I reinstal crack mem bfore it can recognize it? It is still not doing so.
    12-30-08 02:41 AM
    CrackMem should "just work" if everything is correctly installed. It should *not* matter which was installed first. Maybe Pete6 will have a few ideas when he passes here.
    12-30-08 04:00 AM
    Well, I know what SHOULD be hapenning and clearly it is not.

Let's see if we can find out why things are not working. There have been over 2000 downloads of CrackMem and a lot of positive feedback so we know it mostly works.

What PC operating system are you running?
    Is the boot drive C: ?
    Is the Program Files folder also on C: ?
    What is the filename that you downloaded as the BlackBerry OS?
    Do you have Desktop Manager installed? It must be installed.
    Which version (v4.5, 4.6, 4.7)? 4.6 with no media manager is the best version.

Sorry to bombard you with questions but knowning the answers to all this should tell me what is going wrong.
    12-30-08 05:42 AM
    so nice designed app for slimming my lovely bb, thx heaps
    01-01-09 02:55 AM
    Well, I know what SHOULD be hapenning and clearly it is not.

Let's see if we can find out why things are not working. There have been over 2000 downloads of CrackMem and a lot of positive feedback so we know it mostly works.

What PC operating system are you running?
    Is the boot drive C: ?
    Is the Program Files folder also on C: ?
    What is the filename that you downloaded as the BlackBerry OS?
    Do you have Desktop Manager installed? It must be installed.
    Which version (v4.5, 4.6, 4.7)? 4.6 with no media manager is the best version.

Sorry to bombard you with questions but knowning the answers to all this should tell me what is going wrong.
    Windows vista..
    yes
    yes
    hmm dont recall but it was the bb 4.5 op system
    yes
    4.6 WITH media manager

thanks for your help!
    01-01-09 09:47 AM
    Windows vista..
    yes
    yes
    hmm dont recall but it was the bb 4.5 op system
    yes
    4.6 WITH media manager

thanks for your help!
    Thanks for the answers. Let's see if we can't talk this down to a safe landing. First off, some more questions and chacks - sorry.

• Did you do the stuff in the help file specific to Vista? This has to be done.
    • Did you install the OS? You just need to double click on the file you downloaded, wait a while and then follow the prompts. Once these two poins are done CrackMem should display the installed OS in its's left hand panel.
    That's it for CrackMem for now so we'll move on to Desktop Manager.

• Does Desktop Manager recognize your phone? If it does, your PIN number will be displayed at bottom left of the DM panel.
    If DM is working and is recognising your phone and CrackMem is displaying the installed OS then you should be able to move on to OS module removal and OS installation.

If things are still not working, please try to separate problems into sections of Desktop Manager problems, CrackMem problems, other problems. Eliminate one problem at a time and we will get there in the end.
    01-02-09 02:29 AM
    Pete. I can't that you enough for this great program. I used it today to wipe my phone and reinstall my OS all in one program. While deleting the extras I didn't want. A thosand thank yous to you my friend.

01-02-09 07:17 PM
    If you like my program, vote for it in http://forums.crackberry.com/f136/20...ty-app-128162/
    01-02-09 07:48 PM
    Lol. I already did!!!

Last edited by JD_Berry; 01-03-09 at 08:28 AM.
    01-02-09 07:50 PM
    Lol. I already did!!! ;D

Thank you.
    01-02-09 07:55 PM
1,625 ... 2728293031 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD