I found this today too, and worked out the same cause and fix but didn't think about posting it here. Sorry.

My instinct goes against blind clearing of a folder in this situation. IMO it would be better to offer a standard dialog to overwrite if there's an 'already exists' conflict with the copy. Or just skip the copy on conflicting files because we already have the copy. We know it should be OK to keep the original in Removed because the folders are version linked. Then delete all the original target list from Java.

The other option might be to modify Put it Back so files which already exist in the Java folder are skipped for copy back (this happens anyway) then force clear the Removed\OS folder regardless of how many were skipped. Has the same effect as a Delete button, reduces the risk of breaking the install set, and saves screen space.

--
    p
    I've known about this for a while, truth be told. I have several solutions and one may be to just ignore whatever is in the RemovedFils folder and just overwrite them. I already did this with Vendor.xml so the solution is already in the program code so to speak. It also does not require another button (sorry Rachel).
    12-12-08 07:22 PM
    I noticed last night that after a call, I went down 5mb, but, after working all day on it, and .102, Im now back to .110 and gonna monitor a lil more closly.

And thanks, for the congrats
    Thanks for the heads up. I shall watch the memory closely for a few days. It could be an 8320 only symptom.
    12-12-08 07:24 PM
    I've known about this for a while, truth be told. I have several solutions and one may be to just ignore whatever is in the RemovedFils folder and just overwrite them. I already did this with Vendor.xml so the solution is already in the program code so to speak. It also does not require another button (sorry Rachel).
    No problem, I now know of the fix if it happens again, Im still gonna call it, (in my mind) - The Rachel Button

12-12-08 07:27 PM
    Ah, OK.

Thanks. I think I will leave it alone for now. I don't want a brick.
    The risk of problems is very low when you use CrackMem. Most times it works perfectly, it's extremely rare to get a non-working phone if you follow the FAQ script. The most difficult part is usually to force the reload if you're not upgrading the version.

Otoh I don't fault your decision because the new models have more than enough free space. A few Mbytes can be tolerated until there is some other reason to reload.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 09:03 PM
    I tried to use this program to wipe my storm, having no success with JL_Cmd.

I pressed the wipe button, but all it seemed to do was open AppLoader and reinstall my current OS right back over what was there, not brick my phone, or place it in '507 error'. Am I missing something?
    12-13-08 12:40 AM
    I tried to use this program to wipe my storm, having no success with JL_Cmd.

I pressed the wipe button, but all it seemed to do was open AppLoader and reinstall my current OS right back over what was there, not brick my phone, or place it in '507 error'. Am I missing something?
    For any of these utilities to work yo must have Desktop Manager installed and this must also corretely connect to the phone.

To run JL_Cmder or CrackMem, you must not run DM, but it has to be there.

Rather than JL_Cmder, get CrackUtil from the link in my signature. It does the same thing but shows the PIN when the phone is correctly connected - useful.
    12-13-08 02:04 AM
    I tried using crackutil as well. it rebooted my phone and .76 (leaked) was still installed, when i selected the 2nd wipe option. my pin was shown at the bottom correctly. i have DM installed, not running while using these utilities
    12-13-08 02:32 AM
    I tried using crackutil as well. it rebooted my phone and .76 (leaked) was still installed, when i selected the 2nd wipe option. my pin was shown at the bottom correctly. i have DM installed, not running while using these utilities
    I think that I may now know what is going on here.

If you have your old OS installed on your PC, pleease delete it before doing anything else.

When you select the Wipe Device option in CrackMem, it invokes the RIM Loader program to do the wipe loader.exe /nojvm. If Loader sees a valid OS after knocking the phone back to JVM 507 then it will try to install it right after the wipe. The Help text does actually say this. If there are no valid OSs on the PC then Loader has to stop at JVM 507.

In the case of CrackUtil which uses the RIM program javaloader.exe there is a command to wipe either the Device Applications or the File System (JVM 507). Choosing Wipe FIle System will slag the phone back to JVM 507 and then stops.

If you get this far then you are nearly there.

Now install the new OS and use CrackMem to remove Vendor.xml and any module that you do not wish to install on your phone. Once done, run Desktop Manager and install the new OS on the phone.

Go slowly, one step a ta time and you will get there. The key thing here is that CrackUtil displays the current OS version. This means that the USB connection is working properly and that the drivers are too.

Please come back here if things either do or do not go as planned.
    12-13-08 06:24 AM
    thanks so much for your help!!

I will try what you said - but curious about his - In my previous situation, If AppLoader is essentially wiping the phone and reinstalling the OS all in one motion aren't I basically doing what I was set out to do in the first place? Is there a difference between that and deleting all the old OS's from my computer, wiping the device completely, then manually installing the OS back?
    12-13-08 10:01 AM
    I will be using this on my next update, a new OS for my device should be coming out soon...
    12-13-08 10:06 AM
    thanks so much for your help!!

I will try what you said - but curious about his - In my previous situation, If AppLoader is essentially wiping the phone and reinstalling the OS all in one motion aren't I basically doing what I was set out to do in the first place? Is there a difference between that and deleting all the old OS's from my computer, wiping the device completely, then manually installing the OS back?
    Two things:

You said that Apploader tried to install the existing OS that was on your phone and on your PC. Not what we are trying to accomplish

Apploader does not do Backup/|Restore, allow choice of base modules or install 3rd pary appcations. It only instals the OS.

What are you actually trying to do? I never asked. I just tried to answer your questions.
    12-13-08 11:21 AM
    Hello,

Just needed some clarification on how to use this.

I already have the latest versions of the desktop and handheld softwares.

I just installed the crackmem to my pc.

Now How do i go about using crackmem to update my device?
    Do I need to wipe my handheld first then reinstall?
    12-13-08 05:26 PM
    Hello,

In the original post, are instructions.
    12-13-08 07:16 PM
    No problem, I now know of the fix if it happens again, Im still gonna call it, (in my mind) - The Rachel Button

The Vanity Button
    12-13-08 08:18 PM
    If you have your old OS installed on your PC, pleease delete it before doing anything else.

When you select the Wipe Device option in CrackMem, it invokes the RIM Loader program to do the wipe loader.exe /nojvm. If Loader sees a valid OS after knocking the phone back to JVM 507 then it will try to install it right after the wipe.
    I think this is the important point, Loader will try to install the highest build available for the connected phone. For a downgrade it is essential to remove any versions with build numbers higher than the one it is wished to install. We have to guess, but it sounds like Cliff is trying to rollback from .76 (Bell) to .75 (VZW) release.
    12-13-08 08:25 PM
    Hello,

Start by clicking the Help utton in CrackMem. The program contains comprehensve help, a step by step guide and a fairly complete resource guide. That is why I put in a Help button. Enjoy.
    12-14-08 03:21 AM
    The Vanity Button
    Oooo, ouch!
    12-14-08 03:22 AM
    is there anyway to delete the voice activated dialing and the carrier themes without having to reinstall the OS? i just want to pick out whatever i dont want and get rid of it??
    12-14-08 05:10 AM
    Two things:

You said that Apploader tried to install the existing OS that was on your phone and on your PC. Not what we are trying to accomplish

Apploader does not do Backup/|Restore, allow choice of base modules or install 3rd pary appcations. It only instals the OS.

What are you actually trying to do? I never asked. I just tried to answer your questions.
    I apologize for my lack of clarity. I am trying to wipe my phone clean of it's current OS to install the latest (leaked) OS for the storm, which is 4.7.0.76. I had read many times that wiping the phone before installing the latest OS can improve the phone's performance.

My confusion lies with the fact that when using CrackMem, apploader did not seem to even erase my current OS, when I in fact did press "wipe" . It just (seemed to) start installing the older OS, .75. Maybe I am missing something there? Does the apploader actually visually show the removal of the OS before attempting to re-install one?

When I tried to use CrackUtil, I chose the option to do the file system/OS wipe. It went thru its process, but after it completed my phone restarted and I saw no 507 error, the operating system was still installed on my phone, but minus all of my contacts-data-msgs etc. Did this do a wipe correctly and then reinstall the OS?

You said I should remove all my current OS's from my PC before I run the wipe, will this solve my issues? I feel like I am missing out on an essential concept here that is rooting my confusion.

thanks in advance -
    12-14-08 07:35 AM
    is there anyway to delete the voice activated dialing and the carrier themes without having to reinstall the OS? i just want to pick out whatever i dont want and get rid of it??
    Yes, open DM and make sure your pin shows up, close it, open crackmem, choose what you want to delete, execute selections, exit, open up DM, app loader, click next, it will tell you what modules it is about to remove,
    Or you can open DM from crackmem too.
    12-14-08 07:35 AM
    Yes there is. Download and install the exact same OS to your PC that is installed on your phone. You should be able to get this from your carrier site.

Now CrackMem and Desktop Manager have a reference.

Run CrackMem, select the OS and remove the modules you don't want.

Now connect the phone and run DM. Select the Application Loader and then Next. DM should now delete the VAD files you don;t want.

There is maybe a better way and that is to use CrackUtil (in my signature). Simply remove from the phone any files called net_rim_vad*.cod. The * means anything else written after the *. The files to delete (assuming a US English installed OS) would be

net_rim_vad.cod
    net_rim_vad_engine_resource__en_US.cod
    net_rim_vad_resource.co:
    net_rim_vad_resource__en.cod

Use the File Manager in CrackUtil to remove these files and you will be good to go. The phone may reboot after each file is removed so it may be a long process.
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-14-08 at 07:59 AM.
    12-14-08 07:41 AM
    Oooo, ouch!
    Only hurts if its true, which is not
    12-14-08 07:57 AM
    I apologize for my lack of clarity. I am trying to wipe my phone clean of it's current OS to install the latest (leaked) OS for the storm, which is 4.7.0.76. I had read many times that wiping the phone before installing the latest OS can improve the phone's performance.

My confusion lies with the fact that when using CrackMem, apploader did not seem to even erase my current OS, when I in fact did press "wipe" . It just (seemed to) start installing the older OS, .75. Maybe I am missing something there? Does the apploader actually visually show the removal of the OS before attempting to re-install one?

When I tried to use CrackUtil, I chose the option to do the file system/OS wipe. It went thru its process, but after it completed my phone restarted and I saw no 507 error, the operating system was still installed on my phone, but minus all of my contacts-data-msgs etc. Did this do a wipe correctly and then reinstall the OS?

You said I should remove all my current OS's from my PC before I run the wipe, will this solve my issues? I feel like I am missing out on an essential concept here that is rooting my confusion.

thanks in advance -
    By removing the old OS, you will prevent any of the programs for trying to install it.

WHen you run CrackMem you should see a list of installed OSs on your PC. Select the one you wish to install and confirm the selection. Now remove the modules you do not wish to have on your phone and clicke EXcecute Selection. Now run DEsktop Manager and the new OS shoul install. Thi sis the way that I always do it. Works fine. HAve a look at the Help text there is a load of useful info in there that will help you.
    12-14-08 10:28 AM
    I've got a question about current OS. I just upgraded to the official AT&T version using the DM 4.7, so there was no need to download and run the executable. Now I want to delete PTT again, but that's not available on the app list to delete so I figured to do it via Crackmem. Problem is, now my PC lists no OS installed at all, and when I run Crackmem it only shows the last two OS versions I upgraded to via the Crackmem method. Am I going to have to download and run the new executable in order to use Crackmem to delete stuff, even though my Berry is already updated?

12-14-08 11:49 AM
    I've got a question about current OS. I just upgraded to the official AT&T version using the DM 4.7, so there was no need to download and run the executable. Now I want to delete PTT again, but that's not available on the app list to delete so I figured to do it via Crackmem. Problem is, now my PC lists no OS installed at all, and when I run Crackmem it only shows the last two OS versions I upgraded to via the Crackmem method. Am I going to have to download and run the new executable in order to use Crackmem to delete stuff, even though my Berry is already updated?

Oh the joys of OT upgrades. I knew that this would come.

When you OTA an upgrade you get no choice as to what gets installed. PTT is not an app per se. It is just two files stuck in by RIM that only get loaded on AT&T phones. That is why you can't see it.

The best way to remove it is to use CrackUtil and to remove these two files
    net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app.cod
    KnJCDE.cod
    in the order shown. The phone will reboot after each file but then PTT will be gone.
    12-14-08 12:55 PM
1,625 ... 2324252627 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD